Do you have any fear of Death?

WineOh

No fear of death from me and I don't cry at funerals either. I'd prefer a good death ie to die in your sleep at night or have a massive heart attack.....but if I get death along with a slow, painful disease then so be it. I have lived with intractable pain in my feet for the last 8 years, and at first it was a disaster for me. Now I have accepted that it is part of my daily life, I find that I can still enjoy life each day. 

My main concern is keeping out of hospitals. If there is no prospect of them taking action which improves your quality of life long term then you have no business being in there racking up debt. Many patients in hospital have no need to be in there.....they can just as well lie in bed at home taking a few paracetamols and extra fluids for viral infections. If I had cancer I wouldn't go through all those surgeries and chemo....just give me a big dose of barbiturates and a bottle of Jack.

It is time to bring in assisted dying. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jimmysjo said:

No fear of dying as long as it comes without pain.

I will just go to the place where I were before I was born.

I.e. nowhere.

Ive been saying this for years to my religious friends...

for some reason they don't believe me ????

• Haha 1

The only fear I had was not to have a life before I die .

Now that I am old already ( all those years have gone by very fast ... ) , I do not fear that anymore . The only thing I definitely not want is to die slowly of Alzheimer or cancer ... in this case I would take a fast way out .

I never was a slave to anything , I lived a life of free , so what could I complain about ?

I believe that death is not the end . It simply frees your spirit from your aging body ... and there you go ... into the endless universe with all it's mysteries ... and that with the SOS ( speed of spirit ) . 55

By the way ... they never put me in jail ( could not catch me ... that was lucky . ) Not that I did something very bad , but they do not want you to be free ...

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

I believe we are a collective of atoms roaming an organic spaceship that is just floating around the sun.

Deep.

Life is sweet, we never want it to end, I have to much to live for as I am sure other do, but we all know the end will come.

I tend not to think about the ending, although it is always there in the background, but when it comes, I feel content that the family will be taken care of financially from what will be left for them and hopefully what is left will make their life's journey less of a struggle from a financial point of view. 

I just hope it's real quick as I wouldn't want them to suffer watching me suffer, dying in ones sleep like most of my uncles did, never to awaken from their dreams sounds like the way to go.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

At age 73, having faced heart issues in the past, I am very aware of my morality.  While I am in no hurry and enjoying my existence in the life, I have no fear of passing (ha! Just keep me out of pain and do not tell me I cannot make my passing as easy as possible). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bodga said:

Euthanasia  should be a human right, when enough is  enough for any reason you  choose.

It is here. However many rules to follow.

There was one doctor who helped with it on a terminal sick patient. After doc did, he was checked if he did right.

Justice found something in proces which would be questionable. Really insane, one who doesnt know a thing, but by reading paperwork thought the doc would be a murderer.

The doc only wanted to help his patient, following that rules, as he was in agony with pain and waiting to die and wanted to die. 

The "end" of this story is that the doc was so slapped, smashed, shamed by justice, that he took his own life. 

A filthy disgrace by justice department, costing a life of a doctor who thought he did right, by breaking him down mentally.

Was a heartbreaking docu on tv.

Another doctor who helped was also slammed, she stil lives, but with the super negative experience of the situation.

She helped after terminating the life of a woman with terminal dementia, who also sufferd from that.

The doc spoke with family about matter and other doctors. The patient had a will , didnt want to go to elderly home and wanted to decide for euthanasia herself. However she was in far stadium of dementia, so could not make such a decision.

The doc did with approval of family. She was also helping, but thanks to some technical formalities (will saying)

she got a severe warning. However she didnt regret it and would do it again. I saw the docu on tv.

With both docs, i agree  and it is a crying shame, they were treated this way.

Just tiny things on a paper, red by a bureaucrat, brings them by justice to be a murderer.  

You better do it yourself if it shows you are going eventually. Dont wait until last moment, forget about fear of dying if you have.

My plan is to do so. I was thinking about sitting in my car with the outlet gassses coming in, some bottles of whiskey and listening

loud to my favorite music. 

Both my parents died in hospital with palliative treatment. You are in hospital, nothing can be done anymore, you get morphine to make you out and finally you have to die yourself. It can take days and that is, amazingly, done a lot.

Also amazing when my mom decided that, i called my wife in Thailand by skype, to say goodbye.

My mom said literally to her in a joyful way "bye, bye im going to die" . It is set in your mind for ever.

With my father as he was already some time on morphine and down, all at a sudden woke up from his coma at visiting time family.

Though some kind stoned and in trance, he was amazingly there for 10 minutes and then went down again until dying next day.   

OK this writing gave me a good cry.

But ok you know death is a fact of life and also for me it is coming in the next 10-20 years. 

Best thing would be a heart stroke, just drop dead instantly. With other diseases then go with my plan?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrPhibes said:

Fear Death, no.

Fear a prolonged bedridden wasting away with no chance of recovery while all I have worked for goes to the hospital instead of my loved ones who will need it.  Horrifyingly so.

A bottle of REALLY good wine, turkey basting bag, rubber tubing, duct tape, and a bottle of helium.  Want my last words to be "That's all folks!" sounding like Mickey Mouse!

How about we arrange for Vera Lynn to be singing as you float off "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when...."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is here. However many rules to follow.

There was one doctor who helped with it on a terminal sick patient. After doc did, he was checked if he did right.

Justice found something in proces which would be questionable. Really insane, one who doesnt know a thing, but by reading paperwork thought the doc would be a murderer.

The doc only wanted to help his patient, following that rules, as he was in agony with pain and waiting to die and wanted to die. 

The "end" of this story is that the doc was so slapped, smashed, shamed by justice, that he took his own life. 

A filthy disgrace by justice department, costing a life of a doctor who thought he did right, by breaking him down mentally.

Was a heartbreaking docu on tv.

Another doctor who helped was also slammed, she stil lives, but with the super negative experience of the situation.

She helped after terminating the life of a woman with terminal dementia, who also sufferd from that.

The doc spoke with family about matter and other doctors. The patient had a will , didnt want to go to elderly home and wanted to decide for euthanasia herself. However she was in far stadium of dementia, so could not make such a decision.

The doc did with approval of family. She was also helping, but thanks to some technical formalities (will saying)

she got a severe warning. However she didnt regret it and would do it again. I saw the docu on tv.

With both docs, i agree  and it is a crying shame, they were treated this way.

Just tiny things on a paper, red by a bureaucrat, brings them by justice to be a murderer.  

You better do it yourself if it shows you are going eventually. Dont wait until last moment, forget about fear of dying if you have.

My plan is to do so. I was thinking about sitting in my car with the outlet gassses coming in, some bottles of whiskey and listening

loud to my favorite music. 

Both my parents died in hospital with palliative treatment. You are in hospital, nothing can be done anymore, you get morphine to make you out and finally you have to die yourself. It can take days and that is, amazingly, done a lot.

Also amazing when my mom decided that, i called my wife in Thailand by skype, to say goodbye.

My mom said literally to her in a joyful way "bye, bye im going to die" . It is set in your mind for ever.

With my father as he was already some time on morphine and down, all at a sudden woke up from his coma at visiting time family.

Though some kind stoned and in trance, he was amazingly there for 10 minutes and then went down again until dying next day.   

OK this writing gave me a good cry.

But ok you know death is a fact of life and also for me it is coming in the next 10-20 years. 

Best thing would be a heart stroke, just drop dead instantly. With other diseases then go with my plan?.

Don't worry , you'll never get sick .

Worrying makes you sick ...

I do not fear death.  I have had a fantastic life , and maybe i have another 20 years in me = but if not = so be it. 

Both of my parents died from/with dementia - so maybe the writing is on the wall for me!

If I cannot function independently or feel I am a burden on others I might pull the pin.

I am very big on ‘quality of life” = and as a recently retired veterinarian - I terminated patients on a daily basis for over 30 years. This may have skewed my point of view somewhat.

If I develop a painful incurable issue, or start showing early symptoms of alzheimers - sundowners syndrome or similar - I have a bottle or 2 of green dream to help me on my way!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The only fear I have is that shortly after dying scientists will discover how to achieve eternal youth....now that would really pißß me off.

Take your time , they're working on it ...

Dr. Greg Fahy of Intervene Immune gave a presentation about his company’s Phase 1 human trials in which the thymus, a critical organ of the immune system, was regenerated through a combination of existing drugs, restoring immune function and causing epigenetic biomarkers to show rejuvenation.

https://www.lifespan.io/news/greg-fahy-at-ending-age-related-diseases-2019/

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Not my experience of people in the west or anywhere else.

Why anyone would fear the inevitable is beyond me.

Fear poverty, fear pain, fear homelessness, fear environmental destruction ... but death? No

You're born, you live, you die.

Make life an art and laugh about death .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr mr said:

i figure if i can last long enough (43 now) that by the time i get to your guys age i should be able to buy new parts. get an oil change so to speak. so death for me is a way off. 

now back onto my duke 390 into bkk traffic with sandals on. 

Yea, well , when the mechanic tells you your big ends gone, they probably won't be making them any more and you will be toast unless you can convert your Duke to batteries.

Opposed to all posters here, I believe that "mortality" will not be "inevitable" anymore. Give it some 50 years.

Because: Progress within Bio-Engeneering is breathtaking. Most importantly: In the meantime we know why we are aging and eventually die. Once Homo Sapiens has discovered a problem, he will not rest, until the problem is solved.

With horrible consequences: Who is to live? The ones that can pay for it? (Same as in the 60ties, when people with money went to the Netherlands to have an abortion)? Or the ones that are "system-relevant"? Who will be considered "system-relevant"? Or everybody, across the board? Having to strilise everybody in order to prevent any "newcomers" to the planet?
All of this, most likely to result in the "mayhem of all mayhems".
Science fiction? The same science fiction theme as trying to explain to a cave man how a computer works? At some point in the past, every technological/medical achievement of today was "science fiction" before.  
I remain convinced, that our grandchildren will be confronted with this "issue of all issues".

• Like 2