Do you have any fear of Death?

WineOh

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

I have no problems with it, just worried someone will get ideas and think it is a good way out, and it is not! It is a forum yes, and we do not know who is reading in the other end. 

But we all have a good idea.  people very like us, spouting drivel over a morning coffee, but still fun. 

12 hours ago, swissie said:

Opposed to all posters here, I believe that "mortality" will not be "inevitable" anymore. Give it some 50 years.

Because: Progress within Bio-Engeneering is breathtaking. Most importantly: In the meantime we know why we are aging and eventually die. Once Homo Sapiens has discovered a problem, he will not rest, until the problem is solved.

With horrible consequences: Who is to live? The ones that can pay for it? (Same as in the 60ties, when people with money went to the Netherlands to have an abortion)? Or the ones that are "system-relevant"? Who will be considered "system-relevant"? Or everybody, across the board? Having to strilise everybody in order to prevent any "newcomers" to the planet?
All of this, most likely to result in the "mayhem of all mayhems".
Science fiction? The same science fiction theme as trying to explain to a cave man how a computer works? At some point in the past, every technological/medical achievement of today was "science fiction" before.  
I remain convinced, that our grandchildren will be confronted with this "issue of all issues".

More important than theoretical ' immortality ' seems to be to stop aging ( at a young age ) , Who wants to be old forever ?

But everything has a limited time only , even mountains , the planet , the sun , all universe ... every living thing .

That is one of the fundamental laws .

Nothing is , or will ever be , " forever ' .

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, jvs said:

This is probably on the verge of being allowed or not but there is a whole range of drugs or other ways to make the end come quick.

Painless.

Those "drugs" are either illegal or not available to non medical people where I live.

The ones available are not guaranteed.

Worse than trying to kill oneself is not succeeding.

I once had to special a patient that overdosed on paracetamol. It works but it takes a very long time, like days.

• Like 2

On 12/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

This morning I would like to talk about the notion of death and dying.

I bring this up because it occurred to me that most Thai people I know and have spoken to about this in the past seem not to have any fear of death.

In the west, on the other hand, the opposite seems to be true.

Most people I know from the western world are terrified at the thought of dying and even the topic of discussing it is met with anger and indifference.

I personally have no fear of death whatsoever. 

I am a non believer in the after life and deities and like to live in the moment as much as possible.

A friend of mine is currently dying in hospital,

He also has no fear of death and reacted very angrily to a nurse the other day who told him to 'think of god' in order to sooth his anxieties.

To me, death is just another part of life.

The earth was around for 4 and a half billion years before I was born and will continue on after I have gone for at least that amount of time if not longer.

I believe we are a collective of atoms roaming an organic spaceship that is just floating around the sun.

This feeling gives me warmth and helps me sleep good at night, along with a glass or two of the grapes ????

None whatsoever... See you in next life.. Maybe can go for a drink... :cheesy::cheesy:

Not now but maybe at the moment it comes,  if I have time to worry? Being in my 60s I think I’ve had a pretty good run, but still would like a few more years.

I agree with the guy who said it doesn’t bother him, he just doesn’t want to be there when it happens!

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Those "drugs" are either illegal or not available to non medical people where I live.

Getting something illegal for this purpose is not going to worry most people i think.

A lot of stuff is not illegal you just need to do some research.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:38 PM, giddyup said:

What's difficult about stepping off a 7th floor balcony?

Might kill someone that walks out while I was falling.

Guns don't always kill, but leave one in a terrible state.

Likewise with legal drugs.

Lingering for days is not a wanted option.

If anyone knows a pain free sure thing that works..................................................

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

How many times have you heard about a jumper that lands on someone?

Just once, a long time ago. Wife comes home to find husband in bed with another woman. Wife storms out of the apartment, devastated. Husband, overcome with guilt, goes to the window and jumps. Husband lands on wife as she exits the building. Wife dies. Husband survives because wife provided a little cushion to his landing. It doesn't get any more romantic than that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Just once, a long time ago. Wife comes home to find husband in bed with another woman. Wife storms out of the apartment, devastated. Husband, overcome with guilt, goes to the window and jumps. Husband lands on wife as she exits the building. Wife dies. Husband survives because wife provided a little cushion to his landing. It doesn't get any more romantic than that!

In case we don't believe this one, can you please, please come up with another one....lol

29 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

32 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

In case we don't believe this one, can you please, please come up with another one....lol

I can't do ALL the work around here. But you can google these: "Woman jumps off building to kill herself, lands on 69-year-old man." and "Suicidal man jumps from high rise, lands on 2 schoolgirls." 

5 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I can't do ALL the work around here. But you can google these: "Woman jumps off building to kill herself, lands on 69-year-old man." and "Suicidal man jumps from high rise, lands on 2 schoolgirls." 

Thank you, I should have known you cannot come up with this all by yourself. 555555

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Like I said, how many times? Plus you don't need to jump into a crowded street. Where there's a will there's a way.

Edited by giddyup

On 12/6/2020 at 9:38 AM, giddyup said:

What's difficult about stepping off a 7th floor balcony?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Like I said, how many times? Plus you don't need to jump into a crowded street. Where there's a will there's a way.

A poor choice in my opinion. Somebody will have to clean that mess up of a body splattered on the sidewalk, not a pleasant task. There may be witnesses or somebody that discovers the mess after it has happened. That can be a traumatic experience. If suicide is the choice, why involve others that don't choose to be involved? Row out to sea alone in a little boat and feed yourself to the sharks and crabs. In my mind, suicide is never the answer, but if that choice is made, it should not effect other innocent people in any way.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

A poor choice in my opinion. Somebody will have to clean that mess up of a body splattered on the sidewalk, not a pleasant task. There may be witnesses or somebody that discovers the mess after it has happened. That can be a traumatic experience. If suicide is the choice, why involve others that don't choose to be involved? Row out to sea alone in a little boat and feed yourself to the sharks and crabs. In my mind, suicide is never the answer, but if that choice is made, it should not effect other innocent people in any way.

This subject has been done to death before, but people who suicide are usually too distressed/depressed and not thinking rationally. So who will clean up the mess is probably not a priority..

On 12/3/2020 at 2:42 AM, Liverpoolfan said:

I believe we are a collective of atoms roaming an organic spaceship that is just floating around the sun.

This feeling gives me warmth and helps me sleep good at night

Hmmm. The earth is also a collection of atoms but is just sat there. Difference being we apparently have the nous to think about it all... sentience. What makes me go all fluffy is the universe putting us (or other) together potentially just to muse, look at and understand itself. That is the crux. And if it can do so physically - which is extremely complicated - why not non-physical?

Of death, personally couldn't give a flying one, only those left behind. If it's nothing, then no problem. If it's something, then there's the potential of pain and ending up in a much worse state. Thais are of this mind. They typically are blase since they subscribe, mostly (alright, loosely) to the tenets of Buddhism and thus reincarnation, meaning they will be back, hence the merit making thing.

Personally rather just be gone for good as any alternative is too risky. With that, despite all the shiite, just enjoy time as much as poss since there mightn't be anything else, and if there is you could be a boring amoeba.