Stunning picture: Accident victim's death will bring new hope to six others

webfact

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As for donating blood here (as I did regularly in the UK), I was told I needed to pay for a doctors certificate to say I was fit enough to donate, then persuade the Red Cross to carry out the donation. Took me so long to get that far, that now at 62 I'm too old anyway.

At least I tried.

I'd like to donate blood too but I assume I can't walk into any hospital and just get them to do it. If it was simple I'd pop into my local hospital and give them my A negative blood when needed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

for donating blood here (as I did regularly in the UK), I was told I needed to pay for a doctors certificate to say I was fit enough to donate, then persuade the Red Cross to carry out the donation.

I think you were given wrong information.

Donating blood is common in Thailand. With all the road trauma they need it.

it is called “Borijak lued” 

You can do it until you are 70.

Here is the website.

https://blooddonationthai.com/?page_id=745

10 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I think you were given wrong information.

Donating blood is common in Thailand. With all the road trauma they need it.

it is called “Borijak lued” 

You can do it until you are 70.

Here is the website.

https://blooddonationthai.com/?page_id=745

Thanks for the link.

The page doesn't seem to have any English, despite the home page having an 'English' link, it doesn't load.

I see the contact email is for the  Red Cross. It was them contacted. I still have the email from 2018 when I was 59.

I called the number they gave me for Udon Thani, They told me as I was then 59, I was too old to make a 'first donation'.

I will try again tomorrow.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Then the grieving family made the decision to donate his organs so that others could live a better life. This they called the final sacrifice of their relative to others. 

Six people will directly benefit from his tragic death.

Ultimate gift.. bless them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I see the contact email is for the  Red Cross. It was them contacted. I still have the email from 2018 when I was 59.

Can you provide an update after speaking to them tomorrow as a mate of mine said he also tried to donate blood recently and they said he was too old at 56-57 and that was in the Udon Thani area.

So if the link provided proves to be good for you, then I could tell him to check it out.

????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can you provide an update after speaking to them tomorrow as a mate of mine said he also tried to donate blood recently and they said he was too old at 56-57 and that was in the Udon Thani area.

So if the link provided proves to be good for you, then I could tell him to check it out.

????

Sure, I'll keep you updated.

• Thanks 1

I have a relatively rare blood type and donated in the UK. A couple of years ago a call out on local radio for my blood type needed for an emergency. I went to the hospital mentioned and was told "cannot" no reason just "cannot". I assumed it was my age, early 60s at the time.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

The page doesn't seem to have any English, despite the home page having an 'English' link, it doesn't load.

The Chrome browser will translate in place. It's far from perfect but it's still quite useful for sites like that.

There's a lot of information there, but it says you can donate until age 70, but (among other things) if you're taking medication, even aspirin, they may not accept you.

5 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

I always assumed with all the road deaths that Thailand had a well run organ donor system?

No on the contrary. I've been trying  to donate my church organ for years but as they're buddhists they're not interested.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, alien365 said:

I'd like to donate blood too but I assume I can't walk into any hospital and just get them to do it. If it was simple I'd pop into my local hospital and give them my A negative blood when needed. 

I've donated for years at my local Thai government hospital, its simple. Take your passport, answer a questionnaire, they take a tiny pin <deleted> sample to check your iron, when you donate, they take 2 small test tube samples also, obviously to check for HIV etc. Raspberry drink and choco biscuit on completion

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

????

Here's the update after speaking to staff at the blood donation dept at Udon Thani hospital, half-an-hour ago:

Eventually got through to an English speaker after a few false starts. A helpful lady. Told her I wanted to give blood, and I was 62.

She said the age limit was 55. I told her the Red Cross website said 70. She said that 55 was for first time donations.

I told her the Red Cross sent me an email telling me to contact Udon Thani  hospital - after I had told them I was 59 (at that time).

She asked me if I had given blood before, I said yes, in the UK.  She told me she had to follow protocol
(fair enough).

She asked me to go and see her on Monday morning and to bring the Red Cross email.

I'll update again on Monday...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Here's the update after speaking to staff at the blood donation dept at Udon Thani hospital, half-an-hour ago:

Eventually got through to an English speaker after a few false starts. A helpful lady. Told her I wanted to give blood, and I was 62.

She said the age limit was 55. I told her the Red Cross website said 70. She said that 55 was for first time donations.

I told her the Red Cross sent me an email telling me to contact Udon Thani  hospital - after I had told them I was 59 (at that time).

She asked me if I had given blood before, I said yes, in the UK.  She told me she had to follow protocol
(fair enough).

She asked me to go and see her on Monday morning and to bring the Red Cross email.

I'll update again on Monday...

Thanks for that, it's pretty much what my mate said, 55, but do update us again when you have an outcome as I know my mate did give blood overseas as well.

16 hours ago, Paradise Pete said:

The Chrome browser will translate in place. It's far from perfect but it's still quite useful for sites like that.

There's a lot of information there, but it says you can donate until age 70, but (among other things) if you're taking medication, even aspirin, they may not accept you.

Those who have lived in the UK or continental Europe around 1980+ may not qualify either, that is likely to apply to a lot of expats here.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Thanks for that, it's pretty much what my mate said, 55, but do update us again when you have an outcome as I know my mate did give blood overseas as well.

Update on donating blood.

I went to the Blood Bank at Udon Thani hospital this morning to hopefully donate blood for the first time (in Thailand). I spoke to a nurse by the name of Thawarat, she speaks English well and is very helpful.

Initially the discussion was regarding my age. I showed Thawarat the email from the Red Cross she asked me to bring, where I told the Red Cross my age at the time (59) and that I had been a blood donor in the UK previously.
The Red Cross in Bangkok sent me an email telling me to contact Udon Hospital.

She was confused, as at Udon they need to refer first-time blood donors over 55 to Khon Kaen, for them to use the physician there to evaluate whether they are fit to give blood. (They don’t have one at Udon and you do need the Red Cross physician to check you first)

Assuming that is OK, after your first donation at Khon Kaen, you can then subsequently donate at Udon.

Unfortunately I didn’t even get that far, as I discovered that being from the UK I am barred from donating blood in Thailand.
It is regarding the Mad Cow Disease that was present in the UK years ago.
This is quoted directly from the Red Cross questionnaire I was given:

13. Had a blood transfusion in UK during 1980-1996?
14. Did you reside in UK during 1980-1996 for the period of more than 6 months?

I told Thawarat that in the UK I continued to donate blood during this time, so I assume they tested everyone's blood for the presence of the disease?

Thawarat explained that as they hadn’t suffered it in Thailand, there was no blood test available to check for it.

For anyone who is interesting in donating blood, I hope this helps.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Thanks 1