The end of the ID card? Thailand to launch new Mobile ID system

webfact

The end of the ID card? Thailand to launch new Mobile ID system

8pm.jpg

Image: Daily News

The days of Thais having to carry their ID card with them are coming to an end with the development of an online system.

Daily News reported that the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) working with other telecoms agencies will be introducing "Mobile ID" (instead of a card).

People who want to get the service just have to take their smart phone and ID card to their mobile operator and they will guide the user through the process that involves facial recognition and the use of a QR code. 

The new service is being promoted as a boon for Thais in accessing such things as online banking services, government services and online purchase as well as matters involving Thai driving licences. 

Mobile ID is expected to begin in the New Year.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-03

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

When will mobile passports be global standard, no need to carry an old-school paper book?

As soon as they get the long list of compulsory vaccines also linked, the ones that need 2 -3 boosters every year...$$$.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chuang said:

What about those without smart phones...

We aren't smart enough to have an ID.  ????

I just gave up and switched to smart again (tried several times in the past).  This time phone seems to be better behaved (Galaxy A-01) than the off brands I tried in the past.  

44 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Did it work with Thai Driving Licences? 

Good point.

I remember after a false start (or two?) it was said you had to use the official App only. It was not acceptable to scan your DL yourself, as the police would not be prepared to accept it.

Has anyone used the official App and had interaction with the police with it?

14 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

They will be issued a PIN to use with their Nokia 3320.......

You mean Nokia 3310 I suspect - as that is what I retired yesterday.  Had issue not hearing ringtones when in loud areas (like hospital talking to nurse) and found no way to adjust.  So now will make another attempt to tame a smart phone.  At least can adjust the ring loud enough and believe have turned off all the noisemaker alerts - but will kill the power at night to make sure.   Phones used to be just a hand crank turn to talk directly with operator.

image.jpeg.bc6030f7491c0b02c5f79a156903fad2.jpeg

Edited by lopburi3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

They should really invite a selection of users from here to their meetings to identify potential problems. If there’s one thing forum users are good at, it’s that.

They would blame it all on Trump , thats all they ever go on about, some idiot always has to mention him in every thread 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Ireland32 said:
21 hours ago, chuang said:

What about those without smart phones...

Who doesn’t have a smart phone really my god 

I, for one. Oh, I actually have one that was given to me, but never use it. Which reminds me I should charge its battery, just to keep it from fully discharging. Never know, I may (be forced to) use the thing some day. ????