Investigation into possible corruption at THAI reveals 20 suspects

webfact

9 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

This is unfortunately worded. There was a report a few months ago (it's on TV also, got to search for it) that actually said that EACH of the 567 staff allegedly clocked up 1,500 hour OT per year and EACH of them was allegedly paid Bt6 million OT compensation for that. Puts everything in a quite different perspective, huh?

5 hours a day OT based on a 6 day week.... not at all unrealistic.

10 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

5 hours a day OT based on a 6 day week.... not at all unrealistic.

But it means that the guys were "working" 13 hours a day, 6 days a week or an average 78 hour week for how many years?

If the o/t rate is 1 1/2 times basic and the basic week is 40 hours the o/t would equal a 45 hour week of basic rate just on its own.

When I was a field engineer building cellular net works I used to work a 50 hour week and that was par fo all of us.

The longest I worked was 96 hours for a week but we were cutting cell sites in and out plus drive testing. I only did it for a week in 1998 when I was 54 years old and completely knackered me. That was a one off event though.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But it means that the guys were "working" 13 hours a day, 6 days a week or an average 78 hour week for how many years?

If the o/t rate is 1 1/2 times basic and the basic week is 40 hours the o/t would equal a 45 hour week of basic rate just on its own.

When I was a field engineer building cellular net works I used to work a 50 hour week and that was par fo all of us.

The longest I worked was 96 hours for a week but we were cutting cell sites in and out plus drive testing. I only did it for a week in 1998 when I was 54 years old and completely knackered me. That was a one off event though.

production staff at my place of employment do 4 hours every day (6 day week)... limited to 4 due to 2 shifts a day... many also opt to work 12 on sunday if the work is available.

Basic week under Thai labour law is 8hrs a day 6 days a week-- 48 hrs.

I do 48 hours like all office staff at my work, but we do it 5 days to enjoy the weekend off...with the 1 hour lunch break, its a damn long day when you add on commute times.

Edited by Techno Viking
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Techno Viking said:

production staff at my place of employment do 4 hours every day (6 day week)... limited to 4 due to 2 shifts a day... many also opt to work 12 on sunday if the work is available.

Basic week under Thai labour law is 8hrs a day 6 days a week-- 48 hrs.

I do 48 hours like all office staff at my work, but we do it 5 days to enjoy the weekend off...with the 1 hour lunch break, its a damn long day when you add on commute times.

Does Thailand pay time and half for overtime? 

16 hours ago, webfact said:

An investigation into corruption at Thai Airways International (THAI), which started in August, has revealed that 20 people were involved in possible graft that resulted in massive losses to the airline

Shocking! ????

When I worked in the construction industry in the UK it was the overtime that boosted you wages up, Normal rate to 5pm time and half till 8pm then double time, 5 days a week Saturday 8am till 12 noon time and half then double time, all day Sunday double time, any night work was always double time

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

When I worked in the construction industry in the UK it was the overtime that boosted you wages up, Normal rate to 5pm time and half till 8pm then double time, 5 days a week Saturday 8am till 12 noon time and half then double time, all day Sunday double time, any night work was always double time

Yeah with overtime the staff here nearly double their monthly pay packet.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

“The investigation has so far revealed that there are 20 persons who were involved in corruption at THAI

Is that all?  The investigators are not working hard enough.  What about Prawit's junket to Honolulu?

25 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Is that all?  The investigators are not working hard enough.  What about Prawit's junket to Honolulu?

I m guessing he only went because he heard the 'loo-loo' at the end of the name, assuming it was safe for any medically-induced emergency.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2020 at 10:05 AM, edwinchester said:

"For example, the commission found that the mechanics department had disbursed more than Bt6 million to 567 staff as overtime pay"

That is only 10k bht overtime per year for each mechanic so nothing extraordinary at all.

Thai lost billions upon billions of baht through corruption, one can only wonder why they're reporting on what seems perfectly normal expenses.

Less than 900 baht a month, its peanuts for mechanics especially at overtime rate, or 147 B a day on a 6 day week.