Does this price seem about right for insurance?

giddyup

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

Yeah, got it wrong. You can however for a small premium have anyone able to drive the car with a valid licence. 

Small premium?? I got a reduction of 6k when I insured my lump as owner driver. Might be different from other company's but that's what I received. Wouldn't call that small.

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

Small premium?? I got a reduction of 6k when I insured my lump as owner driver. Might be different from other company's but that's what I received. Wouldn't call that small.

Around 1500 extra a year for me. Anyone can drive the car over 25 years. No big deal.

15 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Around 1500 extra a year for me. Anyone can drive the car over 25 years. No big deal.

Depends on car and value. Also what insurance you have . My one I don't pay any excess, loose no claims bonus, with a higher payout for any hospital treatment, for 7 peeps as it's a 7 setter. The full works. Edit cost. They wanted 23k after my first free year. But reduced it to 17k for owner driver. 

Edited by fredob43

I did change today from my ordinary insurer to Roojai. Named drivers, 46 and 69. Everything online, no limits of 70.Honda HRV insured value 513k, with extras and compulsory 7150 bath. My old company wanted 10.000. 50% bonus. I am satisfied. Charged my ATM card.

tuk75

• Like 1

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

It's called "tyre kicking", plus I don't always do as told.

Good job it's a regular vehicle and not an 18-wheeler then.

20 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have decided to stick with the same insurer, Tokyo Marine, 11000 baht for 1st class insurance seems about average for my vehicle. Thanks for all the input though.

Probably the best option all things considered. With my history of ~500 baht/year increases, I reckon I'll be quoted around the same as you have by the time I turn 70.

Good thread though, thanks. Keeps everyone up to date with their options, especially age-related ones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Depends on car and value. Also what insurance you have . My one I don't pay any excess, loose no claims bonus, with a higher payout for any hospital treatment, for 7 peeps as it's a 7 setter. The full works. Edit cost. They wanted 23k after my first free year. But reduced it to 17k for owner driver. 

Agreed. It's all down to comparing all the options while keeping your primary needs in mind. Carrying no excess will bump up the premiums but named driver will bring it back down again. Although tweaking the self and third-party coverage is always an option, I am keen on checking what the residual value quote is, ie. the replacement cost for fire, theft or write-off. Apparently the default depreciation value is something worked out and agreed by the insurers so in pre- roojai days with LMG, I had to negotiate for that, which came with the slightly higher premium, maybe around 21k all-in. On a subsequent renewal, they said it was impossible, so I took my business to AXA that started around 18k with no difference on replacement value. I was happy with the deal and their service and the premium dropped to around 16k over maybe three years. At renewal time, I also got a quote from roojai and their replacement value was around 90 k better than AXA's and the premium was around half of AXA's.

Sold!

20 hours ago, tuk75 said:

I did change today from my ordinary insurer to Roojai. Named drivers, 46 and 69. Everything online, no limits of 70.Honda HRV insured value 513k, with extras and compulsory 7150 bath. My old company wanted 10.000. 50% bonus. I am satisfied. Charged my ATM card.

tuk75

I checked Roojai for my 2019 Fortuner TRD, they will cover it for 1,096,000.

Qoute is Bt.7993.00 for named driver and Bt.3000 excess, if I want any driver over 25 included thats an extra Bt.848.00

Wonder why your HRV at half the insured value cost nearly the same ?

17 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

I checked Roojai for my 2019 Fortuner TRD, they will cover it for 1,096,000.

Qoute is Bt.7993.00 for named driver and Bt.3000 excess, if I want any driver over 25 included thats an extra Bt.848.00

Wonder why your HRV at half the insured value cost nearly the same ?

We don't know how old @tuk75's HR-V is. The current  HR-V list price is less than 1 million baht new. What did you pay for your tuna TRD?

Also, as seen with some posts here, the age of driver is considered as well as any NCB. Despite the big difference in size of the SUV, there's maybe too many other variables to do a comparison?

Edited by NanLaew

• 2 weeks later...

Tacking this question here as don't think starting new thread is good idea.

So purchased cheap 2003 car 130k.

It's in Thai partner's name. Will be hardly be used. In Oz we have "3rd party" insurance. Covers damage to other vehicles etc but not damage to your car. No fire and theft etc.

What insurance should I opt for in Thailand.

Thanks for any advice. Much appreciated.

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What insurance should I opt for in Thailand.

This will give you and idea of the different cover available as a starting point (the CTPL is compulsory):

Car-Insurance-in-Thailand-A-Complete-Buying-Guide.png.c5c4013220a3e8a5dd563bd1e325a6f3.png

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Salerno said:

This will give you and idea of the different cover available as a starting point (the CTPL is compulsory):

Car-Insurance-in-Thailand-A-Complete-Buying-Guide.png.c5c4013220a3e8a5dd563bd1e325a6f3.png

Thanks. That's clarified things. So if I understand this correctly the compulsory CTPL does not cover if my car damages another vehicle. Thinking type 3 will be my best option. Ta.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks. That's clarified things. So if I understand this correctly the compulsory CTPL does not cover if my car damages another vehicle. Thinking type 3 will be my best option. Ta.

get 2+. You will have 10 million comprehensive and bail bond coverage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2020 at 12:50 PM, fredob43 said:

How hard is it to put away 1k a month for insurance. Sorry but if you cant do that you shouldn't have a car.

Please inform the many Thais  who  have no insurance especially out in the countryside.

6 hours ago, bodga said:

Please inform the many Thais  who  have no insurance especially out in the countryside.

It's their country so they can do what they like. 

I was told many years ago, no one likes to pay for insurance. But it come's in very handy if anything goes wrong. Always get the Best you can afford and if things do go T/ts up your well covered. 

In the many years of driving here I have had 1 accident, caused by a Thai opening his door as I drove past. He had no insurance. I of cause did. He had his car taken away by the police that wasn't replaced till he had paid for the damage to my insurance company. Just showed me that the local cops will act when peeps don't have the correct cover. 

Saying all of the above still very handy to have a camera to prove what went on.    

• Like 1