COVID-19 Testing

The local Thai consulate's (NY) website says that we have to have a RT-PCR test within 72 hours before departure. But here in the New York area I have not been able to find any testing center that can meet that deadline as they are all being swamped by testing requests. The best I can get are quotes of 3-5 days, which seems shaky at best.

I can get a normal PCR test in a few hours though.

Does anybody know if there is any flexibility here, and the normal PCR test would be accepted? It is my understanding we will be tested again at BKK upon arrival anyhow.

Appreciate any advice here. Thanks! g

This may not help since your issue is everywhere is too busy, but I found this site somewhere.  It did point out 2 options in my area that I didn't know about.  You can search specifically by RT-PCR in the "Type of Test" pull down.

COVID-19 Testing Locations for Travel with results in 72 Hours or less! (testfortravel.com)

Also, someone said to try airports.  LAX has a lab that is doing 1 day service with sampling taken inside the international terminal.  But it does not appear to be RT-PCR.  If available, the good thing is no one wants to go to an airport on a day they're not traveling so it might be less busy if there is the right test.

Thanks everyone for your comments -

- I did ask the NY consulate and they said it wasn't their problem.

- I have checked the website "COVID-19...", and I will again, but they gave me a lot of false positives on RT-PCR, in that when you called you realized that they had PCR, but not RT, or it wasn't available in 3 days.

- Also had checked JFK and LGA, but the tests are not RT-PCR.

I now am going to have postpone flight and ASQ and get another COE, what joy.

Thanks again, g

On 12/3/2020 at 4:20 AM, ubonjoe said:

The embassy website also states the RT-PCR test is required. I am sure that is what would be needed to enter the country as well.

You could ask the consulate or the about only getting a PCR test.

I’ve posted on another similar thread in today’s featured topics. Do you have any feedback on whether combined Covid RT PCR & fit to fly certificate is acceptable. I’m getting mixed and vague messages from various sources including the airline Emirates and the thai embassy uk.

7E88D1CD-1D19-4B15-9945-572D10CFF829.webp

On 12/3/2020 at 3:50 AM, georgesch said:

Thanks everyone for your comments -

- I did ask the NY consulate and they said it wasn't their problem.

- I have checked the website "COVID-19...", and I will again, but they gave me a lot of false positives on RT-PCR, in that when you called you realized that they had PCR, but not RT, or it wasn't available in 3 days.

- Also had checked JFK and LGA, but the tests are not RT-PCR.

I now am going to have postpone flight and ASQ and get another COE, what joy.

Thanks again, g

stop off in Seattle for a RT PCR test in terminal at SEA.  Dont forget to ask for separate medical certificate.

Related question...the test is required no more than 72 hours before travel. Does that mean no more than 72 hours before the first segment departs (outbound from the U.S.) or the second segment that departs from elsewhere (Korea, Japan or Taiwan) for Bangkok? Is there fine print somewhere that addresses that? Thank you.

10 minutes ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

Related question...the test is required no more than 72 hours before travel. Does that mean no more than 72 hours before the first segment departs (outbound from the U.S.) or the second segment that departs from elsewhere (Korea, Japan or Taiwan) for Bangkok? Is there fine print somewhere that addresses that? Thank you.

Well I looked at the RTE DC FAQ and it says "upon checking in at the departure airport" so I guess that means no more than 72 hours before the first segment departs.

It goes on to say the "test result **must be issued** no more than 72 hours before departure". So the 72 hours is based on when the result is issued, not when the sample is taken, which could have been days earlier? That sounds wrong. I think the intent is no more than 72 hours before the sample is taken. Anyone know the answer?

Quote:

10) What type of COVID test is needed?

• Upon checking in at the departure airport, the approved applicant is required to present a medical certificate with a laboratory result using RT-PCR test indicating that COVID -19 is not detected. Such COVID-19 test result must be issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

2 hours ago, SEAsia Traveler said:

snip

It goes on to say the "test result **must be issued** no more than 72 hours before departure". So the 72 hours is based on when the result is issued, not when the sample is taken, which could have been days earlier? That sounds wrong. I think the intent is no more than 72 hours before the sample is taken. Anyone know the answer?

snip

This was discussed in a thread, but can't recall which.  It seemed like most people's results only had the date and time the sample was taken.  Someone flying through maybe UAE said they went strictly from the sample taken time/date.  Someone in Italy said they were told that if it was only the sample date, then it was 72 hours from that.  If there was an issued date on the results, that could be used for the 72 hours.

So, if you know you're going to have results with an issued date as well as sample date, you could take the regulations printed out as well and try .  But there is a gate keep at the first flight and every connector.  

I just check EVA, since I'm using them, and it is also date issued when arriving or transiting in Taiwan.  But I don't know if my results with have an issued date.

...all passenger who arriving or transferring in Taiwan must hold a negative Covid-19 RT-PCR test result certificate issued within 3 days prior to departure.

Archived