Entertainment venues carry high risk of Covid-19 transmissions: expert virologist

webfact

Entertainment venues carry high risk of Covid-19 transmissions: expert virologist

By The Nation

800_f16c73fc807ede8.jpg?v=1606974518

Dr Yong Poovorawan

Entertainment venues carry the risk of Covid-19 transmissions, Dr Yong Poovorawan, an expert virologist at Chulalongkorn University, warned in a Facebook post on Thursday.

He said super-spreader events in entertainment venues had occurred in South Korea, Japan, Western countries and even Thailand.

“Entertainment venues are noisy places with confined spaces, so it is not easy to undertake measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, such as maintaining a distance from others and even wearing a face mask,” he pointed out.

Dr Yong said Thailand took about two months to contain the spread in entertainment venues and a boxing stadium during the Covid-19 outbreak earlier this year.

“Therefore, we would like to ask everyone to be careful so that this does not become an issue again,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30399025

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-03

• Sad 1

Doc Yong might very well be stating the obvious here , but sometimes these very simple reminders need to be heard. 

I have noticed that many people are not wearing masks like they were a few months ago. Now with these new cases in Chiang Mai i think it's time for people to not let down their guards down, otherwise Thailand could face a national disaster. 

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Everyone knows this. So I hope these type of comments aren't the precursor to another lockdown. 

Given the growing protests, I've wondered if we might get a fresh outbreak of C19 necessitating curfews etc.

I certainly hope not. It would be awful if it happened over Xmas & NY  

That's why it's important  for people to take extra precautions right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I don't think restrictions will depend on Covid 19 spreading.

More the anti government protests spreading.

Obviously protecting the people sounds much better than subjugating the people, both domestically and internationally.

True , you do make a good point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Oh it's the  good Dr Yong  stating the bleeding obvious again.

And good old Patts is going ahead with its Music Festival, which is to give much enjoyment, along with the New Year Celebrations.

Yong maybe banging his drum again by stating something he has read in a Foreign Journal, but non of his fellow Countymen seem to want to listen or care about what he says.,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said super-spreader events in entertainment venues had occurred in South Korea, Japan, Western countries and even Thailand.

It's not the events, it's the sneaky persons who should not be there.

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Everyone knows this. So I hope these type of comments aren't the precursor to another lockdown. 

Given the growing protests, I've wondered if we might get a fresh outbreak of C19 necessitating curfews etc.

A lockdown would mean that it's not under control don't worry Khun Cha Cha will be headlining tomorrow saying that it's all under control just like he did the last time things went pair shaped!

13 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

I recently saw a video made by a nurse who works with patients with COVID-19.     She reported on how some patients even near death are denying  the virus  exists.    I guess they manage to die virus-free that way.     

It is real and until people get vaccinated with the proper  available vaccine and follow virus prevention guidelines, the death numbers will continue to  rise.

Thai video ?

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr Yong said Thailand took about two months to contain the spread in entertainment venues and a boxing stadium during the Covid-19 outbreak earlier this year.

and  w'ell  gloss  over the fact of  who was  running that and the order not too.................did we ever  hear anymore about that, prosecutions............anything?

11 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And good old Patts is going ahead with its Music Festival, which is to give much enjoyment, along with the New Year Celebrations.

Yong maybe banging his drum again by stating something he has read in a Foreign Journal, but non of his fellow Countymen seem to want to listen or care about what he says.,

Pattaya seems to be very special. It has a very big entertainment industry and had very many Chinese tourists. I can't remember that there has been 1 Covid case. Have there been any people with Corona in Pattaya? 

1 hour ago, volsfan said:

You mean fake news like the orange brawler in the WH is shouting all the time ?