Hearing aids

Guderian

This doesn't seem to have been discussed in recent years, so I'll start a new topic.

One of my trusty 17-year old Siemens hearing aids let out a gentle squawk and died last night. I tried all the usual tricks to coax it back to life, but none of them worked so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get some new ones.

A quick search with Google suggested Hearing Aid Pattaya Klang, near the TOT office, DEAR hearing (hardly a great name if you're looking for inexpensive hearing aids) on Sukhumvit opposite Soi 34, and Bangkok Pattaya hospital. Does anyone have experience of getting new hearing aids from any of these places, or any other shops in Pattaya, that you'd care to share?

Thanks.

I've been very happy with new Signia hearing aids, as well as warranty repairs from DEAR Hearing. I've used their shops at two locations in Bangkok, also Chiang Mai and Chonburi. 

Go to the main office at Sukhothai Road in Dusit district if you can.

Sukhothai Road Office, 326/3-4
Sukhothai Road, Suan Chitlada, Dusit, Bangkok 10300

Tel : 02-668-1300
E-mail : [email protected]

สาขาของเรา — DEAR Hearing

• Like 2

But if you are looking for inexpensive hearing aids, Siemans-Signia and DEAR are not in that category.  (After over 50 years of chainsaws and brush chippers, I've tried them all)  The best over the counter devices I've found (in the US, not in Thailand) is RCA Symphonix (if you can get them, try EBay). I keep one as a backup. There's a rechargeable style, and a battery model (least expensive).  They have the best background noise filtering; other cheapies just amplify everything.

RCA Symphonix Personal Sound Amplifier Hearing Aid RPSA05A | eBay

• Like 1

Not in Pattaya, but Bangkok:  Audimed on Sukhumvit has trained audiologists who speak English.  I've had several hearing evaluations there and bought several pair of hearing from from them over the years.  Their service is excellent and I'd had good experience with the last two models of Oticon aids I've bought there.  Not cheap, but then, if you're hearing is shot, second best doesn't hack it (been there, done that).

• Like 2

I  have been to the shop in pattaya klang just the look of it put me off,  ended up buying 2 aids at Dear on Sukhumvit, the after sales sevice and their knowledge is not good in my opinion, i have since bought a third aid at Eartone  Soi 22 Sukhumvit in Bangkok, NOT  their Ekami branch ... see Jackie  she has over 20 years experience with Hearing aids & a conversation (in English) with her proves  it.. i will be going back to "Eartone" every time

• Like 2

After dropping thousands of dollars on several sets of Siemens and Oticon hearing aids over the past few years, I decided to go decidedly 'down market' and ordered some cheap but effective aids. Not quite as sophisticated as my previous ones, but 70% as good for a tiny fraction of the price. Worth checking out in my opinion. 

https://www.amazon.com/Britzgo-Digital-Hearing-Amplifier-Approved/dp/B0194OSS4C

• Like 2

Wow, there's a wealth of information there, thanks. It seems, though, that the best shops are all in Bangkok. I can understand that from the viewpoint of its much larger population, but given the number of well-off ageing expats in Pattaya I'm surprised that the demand locally isn't sufficient to justify a decent place opening up here.

11 hours ago, Pdavies99 said:

I've been there (Near TOT) in the past, no testing machines at all and she states she sets up the hearing aids by experience!!  Impossible!

I've tried them all...for instance Bangkok Pattaya Hospital will effect a hearing test for you, reasonable but not the latest equipmwent at all...If you decide to purchase from them, then they request makers salespersons to come from Bangkok who try to sell you the latest ones they have in stock! (Note that usually always means older models!) And a considerable mark up because they came from Bangkok!

To be honest I never found any skilled hearing Aid shops in Thailand.

You could try : https://www.signia-hearing.com/contact/

They have a shop in Bangkok.

By in the UK where possible, half the price of Thailand.

Good luck!

Buying in the UK was always my fall-back plan if I ever needed new hearing aids, my brother got a pair from the local Specsavers a few years back and he's very happy with them. Very reasonably-priced, too. Unfortunately, with the current situation, that's no longer feasible, so unless I'm happy to rely on just the one remaining ancient hearing aid, I'll need to get something new.

9 hours ago, drtreelove said:

But if you are looking for inexpensive hearing aids, Siemans-Signia and DEAR are not in that category.  (After over 50 years of chainsaws and brush chippers, I've tried them all)  The best over the counter devices I've found (in the US, not in Thailand) is RCA Symphonix (if you can get them, try EBay). I keep one as a backup. There's a rechargeable style, and a battery model (least expensive).  They have the best background noise filtering; other cheapies just amplify everything.

RCA Symphonix Personal Sound Amplifier Hearing Aid RPSA05A | eBay

2 hours ago, b17 said:

After dropping thousands of dollars on several sets of Siemens and Oticon hearing aids over the past few years, I decided to go decidedly 'down market' and ordered some cheap but effective aids. Not quite as sophisticated as my previous ones, but 70% as good for a tiny fraction of the price. Worth checking out in my opinion. 

Thanks, but I've never been able to use off-the-shelf earbuds or anything that goes into my hearing canal. A custom-made, in-the-ear moulding works fine, and that's what I've always had. Some years back, I thought it would be a good idea to get a pair of these cheap off-the-shelf hearing aids as a backup. I think the ones I ordered came from Amazon UK, but I couldn't use them, earbuds are just impossible for me.

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

Buying in the UK was always my fall-back plan if I ever needed new hearing aids, my brother got a pair from the local Specsavers a few years back and he's very happy with them. Very reasonably-priced, too. Unfortunately, with the current situation, that's no longer feasible, so unless I'm happy to rely on just the one remaining ancient hearing aid, I'll need to get something new.

IF you can get a very good hearing test with a good printout, you can order on E Bay any make and if you send them a copy of the hearing test, they will set them up....In theory farly good!  (Reminder: DO NOT GET THEM SENT BY DHL or Courier, just normal registered post.)   Import duties etc.

Or get your brother to explain at specsavers and maybe they will set up with a print out and then he can send to you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

IF you can get a very good hearing test with a good printout, you can order on E Bay any make and if you send them a copy of the hearing test, they will set them up....In theory farly good!  (Reminder: DO NOT GET THEM SENT BY DHL or Courier, just normal registered post.)   Import duties etc.

Or get your brother to explain at specsavers and maybe they will set up with a print out and then he can send to you?

I've never used Specsavers and my last full hearing test was done maybe a decade ago, so there's nothing recent to send to anyone.

I'll have a look at the DEAR place on Sukhumvit, just to get an idea of what they're like and what prices they're asking.

As for going to Bangkok, it seems such a hassle as it will involve repeat visits.

The cheapo hearing aids suggested above from Amazon and eBay would be fine if I could get one attached to the hearing aid that's just gone AWOL rather than trying to use the nasty in-the-ear buds that never seem to fit me.

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

I've never used Specsavers and my last full hearing test was done maybe a decade ago, so there's nothing recent to send to anyone.

I'll have a look at the DEAR place on Sukhumvit, just to get an idea of what they're like and what prices they're asking.

As for going to Bangkok, it seems such a hassle as it will involve repeat visits.

The cheapo hearing aids suggested above from Amazon and eBay would be fine if I could get one attached to the hearing aid that's just gone AWOL rather than trying to use the nasty in-the-ear buds that never seem to fit me.

Just go to Pattaya Bangkok Hospital, get a hearing test with a Print out and send this to UK!   Up to you, depends how bad your hearing is as Cheap E Bay and Amazon might mean cheap, Specsavers offer great deals from £350 upwards for Oticon and similar.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 3:20 AM, kokesaat said:

Not in Pattaya, but Bangkok:  Audimed on Sukhumvit has trained audiologists who speak English.  I've had several hearing evaluations there and bought several pair of hearing from from them over the years.  Their service is excellent and I'd had good experience with the last two models of Oticon aids I've bought there.  Not cheap, but then, if you're hearing is shot, second best doesn't hack it (been there, done that).

May I know the price of Oticon aids?

On 12/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, b17 said:

May I know which one did you choose?

On 12/4/2020 at 7:37 AM, actonion said:

I  have been to the shop in pattaya klang just the look of it put me off,  ended up buying 2 aids at Dear on Sukhumvit, the after sales sevice and their knowledge is not good in my opinion, i have since bought a third aid at Eartone  Soi 22 Sukhumvit in Bangkok, NOT  their Ekami branch ... see Jackie  she has over 20 years experience with Hearing aids & a conversation (in English) with her proves  it.. i will be going back to "Eartone" every time

What do you mean please, with "NOT  their Ekami branch" ?

Does anyone have new information about purchasing hearing aids in Thailand, or better said Bangkok...

I am looking for the best place to do it. Only Eartone in Bangkok seems to be the unique trustworthy place in Thailand.

Thank you!

17 hours ago, Claude75 said:

Does anyone have new information about purchasing hearing aids in Thailand, or better said Bangkok...

I am looking for the best place to do it. Only Eartone in Bangkok seems to be the unique trustworthy place in Thailand.

Thank you!

As i said in my much earlier post .. Go to see Jackie at  Eartone, their shop at Sukhumvit Soi 22, ....."not" the Ekami branch, Jackie has worked at Eartone for 19 years  and in my opinion  is very knowlegable  about the hearing aids she sells, also  excellent comand of English.. there is nothing  in Pattaya compared  with jackie at eartone

17 hours ago, Claude75 said:

What do you mean please, with "NOT  their Ekami branch" ?

Eartone have  several shops in Bangkok, i have visited two,   one  shop is in soi 22..  and one  shop is in Ekami  near the bus station, the staff at soi 22 are much more polite, so i  prefer  the shop at soi 22

Not to hijack the thread but would you recommend this (audiologist) as a good profession to target as a university student?? Asking for my students. Seems like an underserved niche.

Please like this. No need to reply. Thanks.