Fiber internet service

Mavideol

Maybe this has been posted and maybe re-posted but can't find anything related to it thus posting again. Currently have 3BB fiber 500/200 or something like that but the service lately not as stable as it used to be, does anybody has the AIS fiber service, how is it? connection and speed stable? saw their advertise web site for a 500/500 at 599 baht month, this is the same price I pay with 3BB, what about TRUE and/or TOT better or same same

appreciate the feed back

Edited by Mavideol

5 minutes ago, transam said:

If you have 3BB fibre you get 1gb now for 590bht, as long as your LAN card can handle 1 gb. But, I get about 300 upload and download where I am, which is ample. If you have a problem call their help line in English, 1530.....

thanks old chap, I did call and they told me they had upgraded me free of charge to 1 GB but my test only reports 485-487 down and 178 - 193 up, they are supposed to come and check if hardware problem but I would prefer to change service as I am having a dispute regarding their yearly charge as well, they are wrong and they can't understand that or our communication is not good and they don't understand my claim

Do you know what your options are?

Many condos have contracts with one provider.  Mine is True and I am very happy with it.

And rural areas even developments may not have all the options you mention.

I have a friend in CM he lives about 20 minutes outside the city the only line available is 3BB.

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Do you know what your options are?

Many condos have contracts with one provider.  Mine is True and I am very happy with it.

And rural areas even developments may not have all the options you mention.

I have a friend in CM he lives about 20 minutes outside the city the only line available is 3BB.

Our condo complex has no contract with any provider, any owner can select the provider they want but they will have to run the cable themselves, I have 3BB some have AIS and TOT unfortunately none currently staying at their place to allow me to ask their advise

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Maybe this has been posted and maybe re-posted but can't find anything related to it thus posting again. Currently have 3BB fiber 500/200 or something like that but the service lately not as stable as it used to be, does anybody has the AIS fiber service, how is it? connection and speed stable? saw their advertise web site for a 500/500 at 599 baht month, this is the same price I pay with 3BB, what about TRUE and/or TOT better or same same

appreciate the feed back

I have Power 4 or something like that from AIS. Very stable, with ZTE router that is fully configurable (guest networks, whether clients can see each other, etc. and supports WPA2 AES). Never had issues with it in several years. It replaced 3BB after it became unstable. That happened after cables got buried under the pavement downstairs... they must have messed up something as it was very stable before.

As said, for AIS no issues, but I do have a weekly reboot of fiber modem and router set up as I had with 3BB before. This is FTTH. If you were in a high floor condo, that would be FTTX which only goes to 250 mbps. Or so I'm told by AIS.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Currently have 3BB fiber 500/200 or something like that but the service lately not as stable as it used to be

Why you think it is not as stable as it used to be? Is because your streams from the free apps buffer more than before?

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

Our condo complex has no contract with any provider, any owner can select the provider they want but they will have to run the cable themselves,

Which means, new provider is paying again for that cale run, because they will not use the Fibre from the other provider

I have TOT Fiber optic. 300+mb. Cost for that is 600bht. But they do do odd specials. For the last 4 months they have been charging 300bht for the same thing . Reverts back to 600 in Jan:

Is it any good well yes I never have any problems with my set up. Saying that once a lorry went through the wire but it was repaired in just over an hour. 

N/B they do other setups less M/B or more. You pay less or more depending on what you want. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, fredob43 said:

I have TOT Fiber optic. 300+mb. Cost for that is 600bht. But they do do odd specials. For the last 4 months they have been charging 300bht for the same thing . Reverts back to 600 in Jan:

Is it any good well yes I never have any problems with my set up. Saying that once a lorry went through the wire but it was repaired in just over an hour. 

N/B they do other setups less M/B or more. You pay less or more depending on what you want. Oh and they fitted the F/O for free.

14 hours ago, Susco said:

Why you think it is not as stable as it used to be? Is because your streams from the free apps buffer more than before?

Which means, new provider is paying again for that cale run, because they will not use the Fibre from the other provider

nothing to do with buffering or shared cable as I run my own cable (fiber) from my place to their box, it has to do with the outside cables/lines or whatever that is, it's down/dead  2-3 days a week for periods of 4++ hours at the time, saw their people repairing the lines, they do it on a regular basis that shows they are using poor quality supplies, this is going on for quite some time and I am tired of it, I paid for 1 year subscription in advance and expect service for 1 year 365/366 days not for 300 days

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

I have Power 4 or something like that from AIS. Very stable, with ZTE router that is fully configurable (guest networks, whether clients can see each other, etc. and supports WPA2 AES). Never had issues with it in several years. It replaced 3BB after it became unstable. That happened after cables got buried under the pavement downstairs... they must have messed up something as it was very stable before.

As said, for AIS no issues, but I do have a weekly reboot of fiber modem and router set up as I had with 3BB before. This is FTTH. If you were in a high floor condo, that would be FTTX which only goes to 250 mbps. Or so I'm told by AIS.

what do you mean by reboot and use FTTX/FTTH do you have your own cable or do you use the condo's shared cable, I have my own fiber cable and never had to reboot with 3BB, only rebooted if I wanted to refresh the service as we had some power outages

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

what do you mean by reboot and use FTTX/FTTH do you have your own cable or do you use the condo's shared cable, I have my own fiber cable and never had to reboot with 3BB, only rebooted if I wanted to refresh the service as we had some power outages

Reboot - the modem and router are on a clock which cuts power and then a minute later powers up again, so that both boxes are power cycled. 3BB gave me a crappy modem previously that could start behaving badly at any time, so to avoid that happening at most inconvenient time, I started rebooting it. As I plugged AIS gear into the same power sockets, that weekly cycle is still there.

Right now I have FTTH own cable (1000/1000 mbps). However moving to a condo, I was told by AIS I can only have FTTX, and that is capped at 250 mbps. Funny enough, I know CAT can do 500 mbps on FTTX. Maybe something about AIS. Or infrastructure of pretty much everyone in 1300 or so unit building using fiber... Choices are True and AIS only. I haven't moved yet, so can't comment on how stable or unstable that would be, but current AIS Fiber is awesome and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Reboot - the modem and router are on a clock which cuts power and then a minute later powers up again, so that both boxes are power cycled. 3BB gave me a crappy modem previously that could start behaving badly at any time, so to avoid that happening at most inconvenient time, I started rebooting it. As I plugged AIS gear into the same power sockets, that weekly cycle is still there.

Right now I have FTTH own cable (1000/1000 mbps). However moving to a condo, I was told by AIS I can only have FTTX, and that is capped at 250 mbps. Funny enough, I know CAT can do 500 mbps on FTTX. Maybe something about AIS. Or infrastructure of pretty much everyone in 1300 or so unit building using fiber... Choices are True and AIS only. I haven't moved yet, so can't comment on how stable or unstable that would be, but current AIS Fiber is awesome and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

do you know if AIS provides free modem/router to new subscribers.... 3BB gave me a fiberhome modem that's ok, only problem is to set up VPN, it appears maybe a different modem would do the VPN stuff but didn't took the time to walk to their office as it's not a big deal

9 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

do you know if AIS provides free modem/router to new subscribers.... 3BB gave me a fiberhome modem that's ok, only problem is to set up VPN, it appears maybe a different modem would do the VPN stuff but didn't took the time to walk to their office as it's not a big deal

Yes. They provide fiber modem (small box with fiber in, LAN out), Wifi router (they also have options for mesh routers if you have a larger house, but that has extra charge), and Playbox for "cable TV".

ZTE is fully open and can be configured with pretty much anything like if you bought it by yourself. Seems only has a different colour theme and AIS Fibre logo in the webpage. Huawei (slimmer, with many antennas) is far more limited in what you can set up on it - has heavily customised firmware that has most such settings missing. I'm just inquiring with AIS if I can choose which router I want for my new contract.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Yes. They provide fiber modem (small box with fiber in, LAN out), Wifi router (they also have options for mesh routers if you have a larger house, but that has extra charge), and Playbox for "cable TV".

ZTE is fully open and can be configured with pretty much anything like if you bought it by yourself. Seems only has a different colour theme and AIS Fibre logo in the webpage. Huawei (slimmer, with many antennas) is far more limited in what you can set up on it - has heavily customised firmware that has most such settings missing. I'm just inquiring with AIS if I can choose which router I want for my new contract.

please keep us updated and if possible ask if the ZTE box can have/run with a VPN .... I don't want cable TV as I have my own IPTV thus only need good internet

6 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Yes, AIS do provide a modem. I tried them and the service was rubbish so I cancelled, and 3 years later they still haven't been back to collect their modem despite numerous reminders.

A lot of the speed issues depends on where you live. I tried True and AIS, then settled on 3BB (I live in NE Bangkok) - and I installed my own fibre cable from the box on the street to my house, at their direction. I still have occasional problems with speed on 3BB, but I've found a very simple solution. Call them on 1530 and ask the service guy/girl to "Please RESET MY PORT". They do it while you're on the phone, and I've watched my speed go from maybe 200MB to 900MB instantaneously. It works every time. They always offer to send a tech to check your house, but as soon as they reset the port everything is fine so you don't need any other service. Happens to me every 3-4 weeks I guess.

As for VPN, the latest Huawei modem router that 3BB provides doesn't do VPN, and is as complicated as hell to configure anyway. It's safer to just leave that sat there bringing bandwidth into your house, and in fact I turn off the radio on it and only use it as a modem.

I use an ASUS RT-AC86U router for my NordVPN connection, and another of the same model for local internet (better house coverage) and they just plug into the 3BB router like any other devices. If you flash the ASUS router with the RMerlin firmware it's a snap to setup. Very easy, but DM me if you need some help.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

Yes, AIS do provide a modem. I tried them and the service was rubbish so I cancelled, and 3 years later they still haven't been back to collect their modem despite numerous reminders.

A lot of the speed issues depends on where you live. I tried True and AIS, then settled on 3BB (I live in NE Bangkok) - and I installed my own fibre cable from the box on the street to my house, at their direction. I still have occasional problems with speed on 3BB, but I've found a very simple solution. Call them on 1530 and ask the service guy/girl to "Please RESET MY PORT". They do it while you're on the phone, and I've watched my speed go from maybe 200MB to 900MB instantaneously. It works every time. They always offer to send a tech to check your house, but as soon as they reset the port everything is fine so you don't need any other service. Happens to me every 3-4 weeks I guess.

As for VPN, the latest Huawei modem router that 3BB provides doesn't do VPN, and is as complicated as hell to configure anyway. It's safer to just leave that sat there bringing bandwidth into your house, and in fact I turn off the radio on it and only use it as a modem.

I use an ASUS RT-AC86U router for my NordVPN connection, and another of the same model for local internet (better house coverage) and they just plug into the 3BB router like any other devices. If you flash the ASUS router with the RMerlin firmware it's a snap to setup. Very easy, but DM me if you need some help.

Thanks, appreciate the details and will try to call the service to see if any improvement. I do use their modem as a WiFi spot for all my connection in the house and have VPN on my phones and laptop unfortunately not on my IPTV, reading your post it appears the would be better to by a separate modem/router and connect all the devices, including the TV, to that ""new"" modem or router

1 minute ago, Mavideol said:

Thanks, appreciate the details and will try to call the service to see if any improvement. I do use their modem as a WiFi spot for all my connection in the house and have VPN on my phones and laptop unfortunately not on my IPTV, reading your post it appears the would be better to by a separate modem/router and connect all the devices, including the TV, to that ""new"" modem or router

Yes, I have a VPN router dedicated to the US and subscribe to Sling TV over there to get all the US channels I need. And the US version of Netflix. The Android TV connects to the VPN router, not the local internet connection. Likewise, if I want to watch Sling on my notebook I just connect that to the VPN router and it's also immediately in NY.

20 minutes ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

forgot to ask.... is there a good modem/router with WiFi booster or something like that and VPN compatible,  as 1 of my laptops is located a little far away from the box and sometimes hard to have good connection, if so I may buy one at Lazada

28 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

forgot to ask.... is there a good modem/router with WiFi booster or something like that and VPN compatible,  as 1 of my laptops is located a little far away from the box and sometimes hard to have good connection, if so I may buy one at Lazada

I use 2 x ASUS RT-AC86U routers for the VPN, one upstairs and one downstairs (all TVs are Android and use the VPN), and those routers now support ASUS AI Mesh which creates a seamless mesh network across the whole house and yard. In fact I can connect to my wi-fi up at the mooban pool.

Most new routers on the market have some sort of mesh capability when you hook a couple of them together. I find the ASUS AI Mesh to be the easiest to configure and it's very reliable, but they're probably all much the same. This article about mesh networking might help you: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

They recommend a lot of new routers in that NYT review, but I find the old ASUS routers back as far as the RT-AC68U all work fine with AI Mesh. The RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U are probably the best workhorses they've ever made.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

I use 2 x ASUS RT-AC86U routers for the VPN, one upstairs and one downstairs (all TVs are Android and use the VPN), and those routers now support ASUS AI Mesh which creates a seamless mesh network across the whole house and yard. In fact I can connect to my wi-fi up at the mooban pool.

Most new routers on the market have some sort of mesh capability when you hook a couple of them together. I find the ASUS AI Mesh to be the easiest to configure and it's very reliable, but they're probably all much the same. This article about mesh networking might help you: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/

They recommend a lot of new routers in that NYT review, but I find the old ASUS routers back as far as the RT-AC68U all work fine with AI Mesh. The RT-AC86U and RT-AC88U are probably the best workhorses they've ever made.

thanks, now I remember I had a linkys before when at my other house and it was great, do appreciate you input and may follow your advise and go for ASUS, how much did you pay for it and easy to set up a VPN on it correct? thanks again

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

thanks, now I remember I had a linkys before when at my other house and it was great, do appreciate you input and may follow your advise and go for ASUS, how much did you pay for it and easy to set up a VPN on it correct? thanks again

I bought the 2 x RT-AC86U routers on Lazada a couple of months ago when they were doing a 2-pack deal. From memory it was about 8,500 baht for the two of them. Setting up the VPN was easy, but I think that depends on who your VPN provider is and what their configuration requirements are. I use NordVPN, and on their website they show a step-by-step for the setup of most popular brands, plus you just download the config files from them and upload the server you want to the router. If you end up with all the same stuff I'll be happy to talk you through the setup if you want. I only use ASUS because I find their user interface easy to use and intuitive. nothing complicated. Never had any problems with the product, and have used various ASUS models for about 18 years. 

16 hours ago, Buffy Frobisher said:

I bought the 2 x RT-AC86U routers on Lazada a couple of months ago when they were doing a 2-pack deal. From memory it was about 8,500 baht for the two of them. Setting up the VPN was easy, but I think that depends on who your VPN provider is and what their configuration requirements are. I use NordVPN, and on their website they show a step-by-step for the setup of most popular brands, plus you just download the config files from them and upload the server you want to the router. If you end up with all the same stuff I'll be happy to talk you through the setup if you want. I only use ASUS because I find their user interface easy to use and intuitive. nothing complicated. Never had any problems with the product, and have used various ASUS models for about 18 years. 

thanks, will look for a good deal at Lazada, still have some time before my contract expires, appreciate all the help, to make sure we talk about the same stuff, is this the one 1540875877_ASUSRouter.jpg.8d91b83cb56993b08fb55d60a0b418b3.jpg

Edited by Mavideol

23 hours ago, Mavideol said:

3BB provide a free wifi modem  when installing the fibre wiring. mine is located downstairs near my PC, which uses the LAN cable, but my 2 Smart TV's upstairs have no problem with modem signal, even when phones are also using the wifi... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transam said:

3BB provide a free wifi modem  when installing the fibre wiring. mine is located downstairs near my PC, which uses the LAN cable, but my 2 Smart TV's upstairs have no problem with modem signal, even when phones are also using the wifi... 

meaning you have your TV connected via the 3BB Wifi modem and don't loose signal, I had some trouble with a stable connection located 6-7 meters away from the modem that's why I was looking for a booster but yesterday called 3BB service and asked them to reboot the service, they did and it's back to normal or good connection even at 8 meters away, guess I have to call them every week or so to reboot