150 Thai nationals seek to return home as Covid-19 infections rise in Tachilek

snoop1130

150 Thai nationals seek to return home as Covid-19 infections rise in Tachilek

By The Nation

800_f26f788032fcaed.jpg

Thailand-Myanmar border gate at Mae Sai, Chaing Rai.

As many as 150 Thais who work or live in Myanmar’s Tachilek district have asked for permission to return to Thailand via Chiang Rai, Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, told the press on Thursday.

In addition, more than a million health volunteers will be deployed to knock on doors to see if anyone has sneaked across the border from Myanmar.

Maj-General Narit Thawornwong, commander of the Pha Muang Force, said on Wednesday that he had met with relevant agencies to come up with a plan to block crossings via the second Thai-Myanmar Friendship Bridge in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district. Agencies at the meeting have also agreed to deploy more troops and at least 80 officials to intercept illegal border crossings.

As of press time, 15 new Covid-19 infections had been detected in Tachilek, bringing the total number of cases to 64.

The local border committee was told by the manager of the 1G1 hotel-cum-entertainment complex that up to 180 Thai nationals work there. Many of the Thai women who sneaked back into Thailand and were found to be infected with Covid-19 worked at the 1G1.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399047

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-03

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

the 1G1 hotel-cum-entertainment complex

What kind of hotel is this ?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Many of the Thai women who sneaked back into Thailand and were found to be infected with Covid-19 worked at the 1G1.

Oh ... I see ... they have all been maids or cleaning women who worked for a very low burmese salary over there , right ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are there really that many health volunteers in Chiang Rai?

Suspect that's the national number.

This health volunteer force is actually one bright spot in the sea of Thai bureaucracies and committees, IMO.

https://www.who.int/thailand/news/feature-stories/detail/thailands-1-million-village-health-volunteers-unsung-heroes-are-helping-guard-communities-nationwide-from-covid-19

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30385972

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In addition, more than a million health volunteers will be deployed to knock on doors to see if anyone has sneaked across the border from Myanmar

Excuse me "did you come in illegally" ?

Ans: No

Is that the best they can do, really?

• Like 2

Forget the official border  crossings they are covered,  get the army on the forest trails at night, why is the obvious so difficult for those in charge, those returnees may/could start the spread that everybody seems to think will never happen here, seeing the flight cancellations in Chang mai i don't think these ladies will be welcomed back any time soon.

Now its time to make an example of anybody who tries to buck the system of land borders there will be a cost of these ladies actions lets hope its only financial for all our sakes.

• Like 2

The illegal crossers should be jailed to make others know that you do not cross the

borders illegally.  However it is Thailand that we are talking about, and they do have

their own weird ways of Saving Face, and I guess this is just another example.

Letting them stay free, just makes no sense.

Geezer

On 12/3/2020 at 7:18 PM, snoop1130 said:

n addition, more than a million health volunteers will be deployed to knock on doors to see if anyone has sneaked across the border from Myanmar.

Wouldn't mass-testing in the region be a better option?

Or are they afraid of what they might find?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Excuse me "did you come in illegally" ?

Ans: No

Is that the best they can do, really?

In a nation of finger pointing grasses  i think it would be highly effective.

What would be your plan?