Britain to press ahead with Brexit treaty-breaking laws next week

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So the EU is to blame when the UK wants to break a contract which they singed not so long ago. Yeah sure - or maybe not.

Just clarifying an ambiguity that a spiteful EU might seek to exploit.

• Sad 3

47 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

In other words; talking complete pony.

I dont know this pony you speak of but I know a few donkeys in the EU commission and they need to get their asses back to Brussels, pardon the pun.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:24 PM, JonnyF said:

Are you aware of the difference between the EU and the individual member states? Even if you were correct about no member state wanting the break up of the UK (I wouldn't agree) that has no bearing on what the EU wants, they are not the same thing.

FWIW I wasn't referring to Scotland. Nobody cares about Scotland. The EU has clearly been trying to break NI off from the UK as the price of Brexit. That is what we object to.

Perhaps it is you who should do some reading. And I'm not referring to The Guardian.

I used to think that the myth of the "deep state" was confined to the edges of society in the USA. But clearly you think there is more to the EU other than the member states, which I can only presume is a form of "deep state." A deep state that wants something that its members do not want, that its voters (for the EU Parliament) and that individual state governments who appoint key officials in the EU do not want. Wow, the deep state concept has emigrated and is alive and well in Europe. Who knew?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

You can tell them this 100 times they will never believe it. They need to justify their nationalism and stupidity. They don't believe facts. I think Brexiteers are similar to Trump followers. Blind to facts and easily swayed by lies.

Says a Dutchman who has openly stated here that his country NEEDS the EU.....????

oliver.jpg.672505ba3d8f367e8ece151aa69df04e.jpg

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Says a Dutchman who has openly stated here that his country NEEDS the EU.....????

the Netherlands' economy is in many ways similar to that of Germany - hard right working, highly productive that exports a lot with a positive balance of trade. the EUR is beneficial to such an economy, because in the old system, the currency would adjust up and so make exports more expensive for buyers.

Edited by tgw

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Yes at least I got a brain and an education that help me to understand things well. Unfortunately you were not similarly blessed. 

I am unsure why you keep bringing my truthful statement up. The EU is a blessing for the Netherlands. It helps the economy. It has its bad sides but there is no such thing as 100% perfect. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Yes at least I got a brain and an education that help me to understand things well. Unfortunately you were not similarly blessed. 

I am unsure why you keep bringing my truthful statement up. The EU is a blessing for the Netherlands. It helps the economy. It has its bad sides but there is no such thing as 100% perfect. 

But you don't understand Brits, even with all your purported education, plus you just cannot stop posting  slurs to bolster your case...????

You even run down the Brits that voted we leave the EU, as if you are some sort of intellectual masterpiece against a winning democratic vote...????

PS. I don't think an intellectual bloke word turn to slurs in a discussion, so I think you need a re-think...

• Like 2

and ---->

Pilotman, I would never enter a plane, if I would know you are the pilot. Pilots should have some brain, but  I would like to explaine it to you:

BREXIT, you call that "a win" (your word above). As the GBP has  lost  a lot against the THB and € - as proven above and below - then there is a conclusion:

The GBP = the British economy is going down, down, down.

I hope at least that this is understandable for you.

GBP - € 2016-2020.PNG

Edited by puck2
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, puck2 said:

and ---->

Pilotman, I would never enter a plane, if I would know you are the pilot. Pilots should have some brain, but  I would like to explaine it to you:

BREXIT, you call that "a win" (your word above). As the GBP has  lost  a lot against the THB and € - as proven above and below - then there is a conclusion:

GBP - € 2016-2020.PNG

Most of the world's major currencies have lost ground against the baht recently. But the baht is a minor currency in the world economy. So it's virtually meaningless to gauge major currencies against the performance of the baht. Obviously it would make more sense to measure the pound's performance  against those of the dollar, the euro, the renminbi, and the yen.

13 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Holding sterling has made all of us living abroad significantly worse off.....not too much of a win in my book.

Then don't hold so much  sterling, its not rocket science is it?  Frankly a weaker Pound is worth the price, at least in my view.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, puck2 said:

and ---->

GBP - € 2016-2020.PNG

Its not all about the currency,  that is a very parochial view, as it greatly aids UK industry to export.  As to flying with me, one, you could do a lot worse, two, you probably already have. 

Brexit: Boris Johnson backs down in EU talks by offering to drop law-breaking clauses

Boris Johnson has backed down and offered to drop the clauses in the Brexit Bill that would break international law, in a bid to break the deadlock in the talks......the move will be seen as an attempt to kick-start the troubled trade talks and as a significant climbdown, after ministers insisted the measures were necessary as “a safety net” – regardless of whether a deal was agreed or not.

Further on in the article:

The statement also offered an olive branch over a second Bill that would break the withdrawal deal – the Taxation Bill, concerning East-West checks in the Irish Sea – which is due to be published on Tuesday.

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

<snip>

Then don't hold so much  sterling, its not rocket science is it? 

An option for you in Thailand; but not really one for those of us who will be most affected: UK residents!

35 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As said in the comments, Johnson will need to do much more than promise to drop the bill. 

First we all know what Johnson's promises are worth.. 

... and second he should not have reneged the signature of the UK in the first place 

And third, real hurdles are still to be addressed.

Mostly "no selling on the single European Union market without abiding by the same rules as our own industries, no cheating" . 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

As said in the comments, Johnson will need to do much more than promise to drop the bill. 

First we all know what Johnson's promises are worth.. 

... and second he should not have reneged the signature of the UK in the first place 

And third, real hurdles are still to be addressed.

Mostly "no selling on the single European Union market without abiding by the same rules as our own industries, no cheating" . 

So MPs have just kicked the HoL bill out. Yeah.

11 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So MPs have just kicked the HoL bill out. Yeah.

What on Earth are you blathering on about?

Neither of these Bills originated in the House of Lords. 

Whether or not Boris is backtracking on them under pressure from MPs is unknown.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, 7by7 said:

An option for you in Thailand; but not really one for those of us who will be most affected: UK residents!

I get paid in the UK so it does affect us living in Ting Tong Land. We automatically lose by the transfer fees.

1 minute ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I get paid in the UK so it does affect us living in Ting Tong Land. We automatically lose by the transfer fees.

Then, unlike @Pilotman, @JonnyF and others in their position who are not paid in Sterling,  as well as any increase in transfer fees you'll also lose out from the fall in Sterling.

Good 'ole Brexit; bad for expats, bad for UK residents.