EU criticises 'hasty' UK approval of COVID-19 vaccine

snoop1130

52 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Also must consider Boris has promised a lot but failed badly with the English having the most deaths in all of Europe and an even higher death rate than the USA.

35 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I think you need to revise your figures for covid deaths.

Perhaps better to take into account population. As @ 4 December:

911246531_-COVID-19-deaths-per-capita-by-country-Statista.png.2d3fadb5a3dd9c354eb3a4ac2d73ed89.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Edited by Salerno
Added link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

just jealosy as the 27 strong group cant agree on such matters,,the yanks are hamstrung by taking their time on such matters

I see that Rees-Mogg and Hancock are not the only ones trying to use the pandemic and the deaths it's caused to score political points!

42 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I see that Rees-Mogg and Hancock are not the only ones trying to use the pandemic and the deaths it's caused to score political points!

Hows mogg and hancock used this to " score political points"? The uks pulled finger and responded to a pandemic and will soon be vaccinating its citizens,while the body counts increases alarmingly in the eu.how about a bit of credit where its due.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, loong said:

Funny that you use the amount for UK deaths compared to Europe but death rate to compare to the USA.

UK is 7th in Europe for deaths per capita.

Lower than Belgium, Spain and Italy.

Hi Uncle.

i am glad you understood what I said, i seemed to have confused a couple of others. 

The European figures in reality are probably even worse. The UK has about 20,000 excess deaths on top of the deaths that can be explained by covid. Similar situation in Spain and Italy explained probably because during the first wave they were very underprepared and many people who died were not tested especially in nursing homes for the elderly. 

Lets hope there are no problems with the vaccine.

19 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

The UK has about 20,000 excess deaths on top of the deaths that can be explained by covid.

Not quite; the excess deaths is a better indicator of the deaths due to covid, not on top of covid related deaths.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

Hows mogg and hancock used this to " score political points"? 

How Brexit helped Britain approve coronavirus vaccine - Thank God we're leaving!

The Leader of the House of Commons said the UK was only able to pave the way for the jab so quickly "because we have left the EU”. He said the process would have been “slower” if the UK was in the EU because it would have needed approval. “Last month we changed the regulations so a vaccine did not need EU approval which is slower.”

This sentiment was echoed by Health Secretary Matt Hancock who said "because of Brexit" the vaccine had underwent "all the same safety checks and the same processes" but "not at the pace of the Europeans who are moving a little bit more slowly". 

This is a lie. 

The Boss Of The UK's Vaccine Regulator Has Contradicted Matt Hancock’s Claim We Approved A Covid Jab Before The EU Due To Brexit

But Dr June Raine from the MHRA said the process they had followed to give the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine the green light to be rolled out was “using provisions under European law which exist until January 1”.

The uks pulled finger and responded to a pandemic and will soon be vaccinating its citizens,while the body counts increases alarmingly in the eu

Well, that does, in a small way, make up for the government's woeful response back in March. Remember 'herd immunity?' That worked well!

how about a bit of credit where its due.

Indeed, and that credit belongs to a couple of Turkish immigrants working in a German laboratory in collaboration with an American pharmaceutical company.

That fact didn't stop Business Secretary Alok Sharma's pathetic attempt to score points by tweeting that “in years to come we will remember this moment as the day the UK led humanity’s charge against this disease!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:23 AM, JonnyF said:

Why is this EU stuffed suit commenting on this? It's the UK's business. We're not interested in opinions from Brussels, that's why we voted to leave their corrupt protectionist anti-democratic racket.

The US commented as well that the UK "go" was a bit hasty (Fauci).

... maybe UK politicians want to look good with this German-invented USA-manufactured vaccine.

For me it's fine to have some country pushing its vulnerable elderly citizens to "jump in" first, even if the ARN concept is a bit risky

For me I'd prefer the British/Oxford vaccine: cheaper, less innovative but less risky (or hopefully, the French vaccine by Sanofi, we should have their data in a few days)

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

How Brexit helped Britain approve coronavirus vaccine - Thank God we're leaving!

This is a lie. 

The Boss Of The UK's Vaccine Regulator Has Contradicted Matt Hancock’s Claim We Approved A Covid Jab Before The EU Due To Brexit

Well, that does, in a small way, make up for the government's woeful response back in March. Remember 'herd immunity?' That worked well!

Indeed, and that credit belongs to a couple of Turkish immigrants working in a German laboratory in collaboration with an American pharmaceutical company.

That fact didn't stop Business Secretary Alok Sharma's pathetic attempt to score points by tweeting that “in years to come we will remember this moment as the day the UK led humanity’s charge against this disease!”

Who cares,in the end the uk came up trumps where the eu couldn,t cut the mustard and are still dithering ,still as this proves a good thing for the uk that we left when we did.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

From a personal point of view I am happy they will be the guinea pigs for this vaccine. Thailand is scheduled to get it in May.

Terrible comment, uninformed and false.

Thailand has purchased the controversial Astrazeneca vaccine, not the UK rollout vaccine which is Pfizers. 

Edited by bkk6060

42 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Terrible comment, uninformed and false.

Thailand has purchased the controversial Astrazeneca vaccine, not the UK rollout vaccine which is Pfizers. 

<deleted>. Thanks for the heads up.

i will see how the Brits go with it, and if no dramas, I will take that one. 

It will be good to have a few to choose from

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kingdong said:

Who cares,in the end the uk came up trumps where the eu couldn,t cut the mustard and are still dithering ,still as this proves a good thing for the uk that we left when we did.

The UK came up trumps?

What is it that you don't understand about this vaccine being the result of work by Turkish immigrants in Germany?

What is it about "Dr June Raine from the MHRA said the process they had followed to give the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine the green light to be rolled out was “using provisions under European law which exist until January 1” that you don't understand?

Of course, it is not just the EU which is taking a more cautious approach than the UK. Why Pfizer’s Covid vaccine has been authorized in the UK but not the U.S. yet

In the U.S., the FDA will go through every aspect of the data submitted in the application, including reviewing all safety information “to make sure there are no cracks” and everything is “solid,” said Dr. Paul Offit, a voting member of the Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee, which is scheduled to review Pfizer’s vaccine on Dec. 10.

I, of course, hope that the MHRA have made the correct decision and we will not end up regretting the rapid decision to approve this vaccine.

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1

As it seems nearly every decision made by the UK government at the moment results in negative and damaging results, I just hope this gamble with peoples lives will not follow the same pattern. 

It would be a disaster is all the key workers, hospital staff, doctors, etc got serious side effects from the vaccine...then the health care would fail and lots of people needing treatment could suffer. 

As it seems nearly every decision made by the UK government at the moment results in negative and damaging results, I just hope this gamble with peoples lives will not follow the same pattern. 

It would be a disaster if all the key workers, hospital staff, doctors, etc got serious side effects from the vaccine...then the health care would fail and lots of people needing treatment could suffer. 

On 12/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, Bluespunk said:

The eu rules allow fast tracking, britain’s decision to do so has nothing to do with brexit as hancock misleadingly claimed ???? or anyone being gracious.  

Smug Remainers have today been crowing that the Pfizer vaccine was approved today in the UK under the EU medicines regime (all EU law still applies to the UK until the end of this month). Whilst vaccine approval is reserved matter for the European Medical Agency, the EU Medicines Directive generously allows national medicines regulators (like the UK’s MHRA) to temporarily approve products for use in response to the spread of pathogens. Like Covid-19.

Yet the fact is that had the UK remained a member of the EU it would not have been able to approve the vaccine this quickly. As Jens Spahn, the German health minister, explained earlier today, despite the exemption in EU law, EU member states took a collective decision to take a common approach to vaccine approval. As a result of Brexit the UK is not an EU member state and therefore not locked into that common approach…

“All 27 member states will have access to vaccines at the same time otherwise some member states may have have been able to procure vaccines at an earlier stage that others”

“We have member states including, Germany, who could have issued such an emergency authorisation if we’d wanted to. But we decided against this and what we opted for was a common European approach to move forward together.”

And moving at the speed of 27 is evidently slower than moving at the speed of one…

UK Ministers are today correctly saying that the law was changed in October to allow this all to happen. What they are referring to is amending the Human Medicines Regulations to clarify ambiguity surrounding the “temporary” vaccine approval EU law grants to member states – those ambiguities factoring into the the reasons the EU decided to move collectively. The UK’s law changes ensure that vaccines ‘temporarily’ authorised under the EU’s regulations are treated in the same way as fully licensed products. The changes ensure rollout can happen, whereas under the EU directive, advertising and distribution could have been hindered…

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2020 at 2:12 PM, Bluespunk said:

The eu rules allow fast tracking, britain’s decision to do so has nothing to do with brexit as hancock misleadingly claimed ???? or anyone being gracious.  

Smug Remainers have today been crowing that the Pfizer vaccine was approved today in the UK under the EU medicines regime (all EU law still applies to the UK until the end of this month). Whilst vaccine approval is reserved matter for the European Medical Agency, the EU Medicines Directive generously allows national medicines regulators (like the UK’s MHRA) to temporarily approve products for use in response to the spread of pathogens. Like Covid-19.

Yet the fact is that had the UK remained a member of the EU it would not have been able to approve the vaccine this quickly. As Jens Spahn, the German health minister, explained earlier today, despite the exemption in EU law, EU member states took a collective decision to take a common approach to vaccine approval. As a result of Brexit the UK is not an EU member state and therefore not locked into that common approach…

“All 27 member states will have access to vaccines at the same time otherwise some member states may have have been able to procure vaccines at an earlier stage that others”

“We have member states including, Germany, who could have issued such an emergency authorisation if we’d wanted to. But we decided against this and what we opted for was a common European approach to move forward together.”

And moving at the speed of 27 is evidently slower than moving at the speed of one…

UK Ministers are today correctly saying that the law was changed in October to allow this all to happen. What they are referring to is amending the Human Medicines Regulations to clarify ambiguity surrounding the “temporary” vaccine approval EU law grants to member states – those ambiguities factoring into the the reasons the EU decided to move collectively. The UK’s law changes ensure that vaccines ‘temporarily’ authorised under the EU’s regulations are treated in the same way as fully licensed products. The changes ensure rollout can happen, whereas under the EU directive, advertising and distribution could have been hindered…

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The UK came up trumps?

What is it that you don't understand about this vaccine being the result of work by Turkish immigrants in Germany?

What is it about "Dr June Raine from the MHRA said the process they had followed to give the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine the green light to be rolled out was “using provisions under European law which exist until January 1” that you don't understand?

Of course, it is not just the EU which is taking a more cautious approach than the UK. Why Pfizer’s Covid vaccine has been authorized in the UK but not the U.S. yet

I, of course, hope that the MHRA have made the correct decision and we will not end up regretting the rapid decision to approve this vaccine.

The uk came up trumps in ordering vaccine in advance and will now be administering vaccine from early next week.where did i mention anything about the nationality of who did the work which led to the vaccines development? I didn,t,i personally treat all people equal regardless of race and found your comment academic,perhaps you,d care to explain it to me,and if the eu and the us want to adapt a more cautious approach,up to them,as the body counts rocket.cannot help but wonder about what the comments on here would be like if the shoe was on the other foot and the eu and the usa had cleared the vaccine while we erred on the side of caution.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This will have its origin in Bono’s rabid desire to feed his ego. Let’s hope the word ‘Thalidomide’ doesn’t keep him awake at night! 

Still, good to see the Brexiteers widespread appreciation of the German based vaccine - who needs those pesky Europeans eh ? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, kingdong said:

The uk came up trumps in ordering vaccine in advance and will now be administering vaccine from early next week.where did i mention anything about the nationality of who did the work which led to the vaccines development? I didn,t,i personally treat all people equal regardless of race and found your comment academic,perhaps you,d care to explain it to me,and if the eu and the us want to adapt a more cautious approach,up to them,as the body counts rocket.cannot help but wonder about what the comments on here would be like if the shoe was on the other foot and the eu and the usa had cleared the vaccine while we erred on the side of caution.

Could you take a few seconds to appreciate the difference between comments, apostrophes and capitals please.  

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, sharksy said:

See above

• Like 2