Thailand to launch nationwide Covid-19 vaccination in May

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Really?

https://apnews.com/article/uk-authorizes-vaccine-emergency-use-ea0170c978eb281a905866e5bd78bbdf

Hancock said Britain will begin receiving the first shipment of 800,000 doses from Belgium within days, and people will start getting the shots as soon as it arrives. Two doses three weeks apart are required. The country expects to receive millions of doses by the end of this year, Hancock said, though the exact number will depend on how fast it can be manufactured and checked for quality.

receiving is not the same as vaccinating, yesterday/last night, BJ was at Sky News & BBC as well and he made it clear about not being ready to overstep all the existing hurdles, however he did say their main concern was to be #1 on approval 555 .... I guess priorities are different for each and every country ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Private hospitals can order their own , so i geuss that's the place for us foreigners to go to get it for a price ofcourse . I don't acctualy mind that they give it to those groups first , that's how it goes in most countries . I wish in my own country they would have the balls to do things like this this way , own people first i mean . But no elderly people paying tax their whole lives living on a third floor appartment having to walk up six flights of stairs can't find a reasonable new place on the ground floor because those gold digging save country refugees are being put in front and millions of euro's are going their way ( and i understand there are real refugees , people in need . But this whole system is !@#$ up because of the groups deviding that money are subsedised and deviding <deleted> loads of euros amongst eachother ) anywho it's good that there is going to be a vaccine and let the needy get it first i think i will wait untill 2022 anyway if possible . Let's see what happens with the side effects first and if there are any . But i will get it and so should everybody else that has the chance i think , but that's my opinion it's everybodies free choice , but i think this will not be the last pandemic deceases are getting stonger and medicines will be made and approved faster so just go with it . 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

If the numbers in the OP are accurate each dose costs (the government) Bt.23.00.

One would hope they cost the end user Bt100.00 or less but I highly doubt that will be the case.

The soldiers will charge Farangs as much as they think they can get away with.

• Like 2

Just now, Nanaplaza666 said:

Private hospitals can order their own , so i geuss that's the place for us foreigners to go to get it for a price ofcourse . I don't acctualy mind that they give it to those groups first , that's how it goes in most countries . I wish in my own country they would have the balls to do things like this this way , own people first i mean . But no, elderly people paying tax their whole lives living on a third floor appartment having to walk up six flights of stairs can't find a reasonable new place on the ground floor because those gold digging save country refugees are being put in front and millions of euro's are going their way ( and i understand there are real refugees , people in need . But this whole system is !@#$ up because of the groups deviding that money are subsedised and deviding <deleted> loads of euros amongst eachother ) anywho it's good that there is going to be a vaccine and let the needy get it first i think i will wait untill 2022 anyway if possible . Let's see what happens with the side effects first and if there are any . But i will get it and so should everybody else that has the chance i think , but that's my opinion it's everybodies free choice , but i think this will not be the last pandemic deceases are getting stonger and medicines will be made and approved faster so just go with it . 

27 minutes ago, david555 said:

In Thailand i would only like to get the Moderna vaccine as is the only one who is in easy transport temperature to travell and can be stored in fridge temperature for short time use by medics ...

and that's 2 of us... with the high temperatures here better safe then sorry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thairookie said:

Will fake China vaccine secretly make their way to Thailand just like the LVs and Hermes at Patpong night market ?

anything and everything's possible... all bets are on, just a matter of time 555

Edited by Mavideol
spelling
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

The soldiers will charge Farangs as much as they think they can get away with.

Given they are not buying enough to cover the Thai population to begin with I doubt any government purchased doses will be made available to the stinky farangs....they/we/you/me will be at the mercy of privately purchased doses at the private hospitals and clinics.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The cost for each dose ranges from $3 to $37, depending on the vaccine.

Moderna, a two-dose vaccine, recently announced each dose will go for around $32 to $37.

The Pfizer vaccine, also given in two doses, is expected to cost $19.50 a dose.

Each dose for Johnson & Johnson’s two-dose vaccine will cost an estimated $10, and AstraZeneca’s two-dose vaccine could be the cheapest at just $3 to $4 a dose.

Overall, the developers found that the 2-dose vaccine had an efficacy of 70%, when measured 2 weeks after participants received their second dose. But that figure is an average of the 62% and 90% efficacy from the two dosing regimens. 

They probably bought this vaccine because it is cheaper. Cheap cheap how much is a life worth..

I will never take this questionable UK produced vaccine.

They could not even issue the correct doses and 62,70,90% what is it really? What other mistakes were made?

No problem, hopefully I can get the Pfizer jab here but if not, I will travel to a country to get it.

and for the ones wanting a cheaper version,  maybe better wait a little, the Chinese one (maybe 50 satans to 1 baht) is on it's way 555

Edited by Mavideol
  • Haha 2

Amazing to see the various posts, too many to single out, from people who have literally no idea what they are talking about. We do have these things called facts, upon which sound decisions need to be made. Even the government here seems out of touch with reality. Vaccinating children? A total of 13 million people vaccinated with a population of 70 million? 

Welcome back tourism -- 2024. 

And why pick the vaccine that is the most difficult to store and transport? 

Pfizer's vaccine needs to be kept at - 70C; Moderna's (roughly the same pronounced effectiveness) needs to be stored cold too, but only up to about - 20C, which his achievable with more normal freezers, not a specialized one that can cost up to US$20,000 each. 

Who makes these decisions? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

and that's 2 of us... with the high temperatures here better safe then sorry

The CEO of BioNTech said they are working on their jab to be delivered at room temp and only require one jab.  Said it will take a few months for that to happen.

• Like 2

Why they take the AstraZenica vaccine?

As I read it has "only" 70% success rate.

The Moderna and the BioNTech vaccine has over 95%.

Someone know more? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeffr2 said:

The CEO of BioNTech said they are working on their jab to be delivered at room temp and only require one jab.  Said it will take a few months for that to happen.

correct, he did said they were working on a second generation that should be available with lower, not so cold,  temperature requirements and such 2nd generation should/would be ready by the second half of 2021, let's hope it's the case as having to keep and transport a vaccine at minus 100 degrees it's a difficult task

45 minutes ago, Arkady said:

Some countries just couldn't afford to order the Pfizer or Moderna vaccinces and the former is unsuitable for tropical 3rd world countries due to its storage requirements.  Thailand has done a deal to produce the Astra Zeneca virus.  They had hopes of the Chula vaccine which was never going to happen and we hear no more of it now.  I am sure you are right that they are also hoping for low cost Chinese vaccines.

Well, I think a country which is "rich" enough to  buy a fleet of useless submarines and which is even thinking about building a bridge over the Gulf of Thailand during the planets biggest economical crisis should be able and willing to effort a good vaccine for it's people as well. It's all a question of priorities only.

For the logistics issue with the BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine, it should not be as difficult to solve this as many believe. Keep in mind that Thailand is able to permanently ship hundred-thousands of tons of LNG over the Gulf of Thailand, and fires even power plants with LNG.  And, LNG has a temperature of -160°C. So, if the transport of LNG at -160°C is that easy and that common, and as all the necessary cooling technology  and infrastructure exists in the country, it should not be so difficult to keep goods of a much smaller volume cold for transport at -70°C only.

The BioNTech/Pfizer vaccine needs a temperature of -70°C, which easily can be achieved and maintained by the use of dry ice (which has a temperature of -79°C) and Styrofoam boxes. Both dry ice and Styrofoam are easily available in Thailand. And as well all the necessary cooling technology.

And if there is an issue with dry ice, there is still liquid Nitrogen available in masses. Companies like Linde, Praxair or Air Liquide produce hundreds of tons every day in Thailand, and the price of liquid Nitrogen is only 50 Baht per litter. It's cheaper than beer, and it easily can be stored for days in Thermos cans. Liquid Nitrogen is a very common commodity in industry.

Thailand can definitely handle this issue of cooling of vaccines easily. Again, it's only a question of the priorities of those at the top.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Once enough vaccine becomes available, which probably won’t be for a year or more, if the Government paid every Thai citizen who had the 2 shots 5,000 baht that would guarantee that nearly the whole population would be vaccinated, and then the border could reopen to vaccinated foreigners.

But the unelected "government" don't want to open the borders. ASQ is such a moneymaker for them.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, n00dle said:

Gee, I wonder why they would focus on providing the free vaccine to thai citizens. Seems downright unreasonable to me .

Just how entitled are you?

What's your source for that? I re-read the OP, and the link. I saw nothing limiting the vaccine to Thai citizens. 

I live next door to my local government and public health clinic, right over my garden wall. I have used their services several times. No discrimination. 

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A public information campaign will also explain that groups with high natural immunity don’t need to be vaccinated right away.

I am the groups with high natural immunity again vaccine religion.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Opas confirmed that vaccination will be provided free of charge by the government. Private hospitals can source their own vaccine supply, he added.

For foreigner special price because this people is "farang"

17 hours ago, n00dle said:

Gee, I wonder why they would focus on providing the free vaccine to thai citizens. Seems downright unreasonable to me .

Just how entitled are you?

Because the point is to achieve herd immunity,not solely for the benefit of the recipient. For that you need to get as many vaccinated as possible to protect those who for whatever reason can’t or don’t get vaccinated. That’s why it’s free. Disincentivizing any group from getting vaccinated only means they are more likely to spread it to others who aren’t protected. You do understand that ?

• Like 2

Looking forward when the first "syringes" appear on Lazada or Shopee with a mark-up of 6000%

Probably you can even get a 1/4 or 1/2 vaccine and split the cost.

Same as in pharmacies. Often you get a few tablets of some antibiotics. In Europe is always a full box which should be all taken.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

And how is that Thailand's problem?

The post I originally replied to is <deleted>:

"It might take at least one more year till they allow us dirty farangs to come back to Thailand, even if we were vaccinated."

Whatever.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

wait, what?!

do these guys even know what at-risk groups actually are?

Police, military, politicians, and the rich elite first -- followed by civil servants and local government -- then medical staff and some of the 'lucky' vulnerable -- followed by those in the cities that manage to get first in the queue before the 26 million doses run out!

Strange that they've only ordered 26 million doses!

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Just because they approved the Pfizer vaccine, will they really be up and running to give vaccinations next week.

Covid-19 jab approved in UK, with vaccination to start next week | Express & Star (expressandstar.com)

Maybe and maybe not as it still needs to be delivered and could be next week or anytime after that, but until they come out and say who will be vaccinated, I seriously do not believe they will be given to people who wish to travel.

"The UK has ordered 40 million doses of the vaccine, enough to vaccinate 20 million people with two doses, given 21 days apart. Around 10 million doses are expected to be available for use in the UK in the coming weeks for priority groups, including healthcare workers, with 800,000 doses arriving next week".

"A list of who will receive the vaccine first will be set out later on Wednesday".

The UK (Pfizer) vaccination program starts with care home workers and residents - if they can get to the hospital (otherwise they need to wait as the vaccine comes in 975 dose batches that cannot (to date) be safely subdivided for further transport) Then over 80s and I believe front line health workers ( those actively dealing with Covid-19 patients or likely to do so. Then over 75s and so on. At my age (68) probability is that I would not be called for a jab until mid to late March - if they have enough. Supply of the Pfizer vaccine is going to be an issue until H2 2021. If other vaccines are also on offer, then things may speed up.