Returning to Thailand from London, valid Covid tests

Hi, in 2 weeks I will fly to Bangkok. I will be using a connecting flight , and depart london in the early evening. 

I was wondering if anyone who had travelled to Thailand, from London could recommend a Covid test and Fit to fly service. 

The reason I ask is that most seem to offer two services, a "results within 2 days" PCR test, but this would cut things very fine due to the timing. If my flight was delayed it would go over the 72 hours. Also, although it says 72 hours prior to leaving London, there is also the possibility that I could have problems on the transit connection perhaps?, as by the point of arrival there, I will over the 72 hours.

It seems the 24 hour tests are not fully accredited to the same level as the 2 day ones.

I was wondering if anyone who has left London for Thailand could say whether they have used these 24 hours tests and been fine or not?, and if so , could recommend one

Many thanks

Michael

Don't worry. If your PCR 72 hours prior to ETD is positive, wave bye-bye to all prepaid money.

If you your test was done in time prior to ETD and is negative, there shouldn't be any problems, because you aren't responsible for delays of flights

51 minutes ago, UB40 said:

Don't worry. If your PCR 72 hours prior to ETD is positive, wave bye-bye to all prepaid money.

Not necessarily.

In this case Covid insurance with TGIA can be refunded, and many airways companies and ASQ accept a postponement

10 hours ago, gordog said:

It seems the 24 hour tests are not fully accredited to the same level as the 2 day ones.

I used a 24 hour test. Was done at St Thomas' (same hospital Boris was sent to). No problems. Never heard anything about 24 hours tests being not fully accredited (sounds false to me). All the places you have the test done are just supplying them to the labs thats are setup for the test. Ask your provider (the ones taking the sample) if theres any issues. I can't imagine an uncredited PCR (or ASSAY 2 as it is also known in UK) being a possibility in the UK.

11 hours ago, gordog said:

Also, although it says 72 hours prior to leaving London, there is also the possibility that I could have problems on the transit connection perhaps?, as by the point of arrival there, I will over the 72 hours.

Not an issue as your CoE will have the connecting flights listed on it. I presume you are travelling via Qatar or similar and not leaving the airport not an issue if so.

This is a very tricky area as my investigations have shown. Doing 48 hour one ‘should ' be ok because the issue date on the certificate will be closer to your departure time. It appears this might be the criteria used rather than the test date . A call I had with Emirates confirmed this but on another matter they contradicted themselves. That was the combined document often supplied  'Covid PCR test & Fit to fly' . The Emirates guy on the phone said it was ok,the reply I had to an email on same subject from them said the specimen I sent them wasn’t because 'it didn’t say fit to fly " . It clearly did but in same sentence on heading. I attach a copy here . I guess the proof of the pudding is at check in . Can anyone who’s flown actually provide feedback? . The Thai embassy said a combined certificate was ok but they’d like to see it as a separate sentence ??! 
Also some recent mixed feedback on Trustpilot about Medicspot (the company on the certificate shown here) in terms of getting delayed results although a few weeks ago another poster reported a good experience. I think they amongst others are somewhat overwhelmed with demand. It’s certainly the most stressful and uncertain part of the process with the most to lose at the final hurdle 
Any helpful comments welcome .

24BE9D61-FEC5-477D-8087-489D01BAD268.webp

11 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

But if you still need to do the full quarantine, what is the big deal, and why pay for the test?

Because if you don't pay for the test you won't be getting on the flight.

Quarantine is still required because it's possible that a person could contract the virus before departing. 

Both measures together reduce the likelihood that other people could become infect 

24 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

This is a very tricky area as my investigations have shown. Doing 48 hour one ‘should ' be ok because the issue date on the certificate will be closer to your departure time. It appears this might be the criteria used rather than the test date . A call I had with Emirates confirmed this but on another matter they contradicted themselves. That was the combined document often supplied  'Covid PCR test & Fit to fly' . The Emirates guy on the phone said it was ok,the reply I had to an email on same subject from them said the specimen I sent them wasn’t because 'it didn’t say fit to fly " . It clearly did but in same sentence on heading. I attach a copy here . I guess the proof of the pudding is at check in . Can anyone who’s flown actually provide feedback? . The Thai embassy said a combined certificate was ok but they’d like to see it as a separate sentence ??! 
Also some recent mixed feedback on Trustpilot about Medicspot (the company on the certificate shown here) in terms of getting delayed results although a few weeks ago another poster reported a good experience. I think they amongst others are somewhat overwhelmed with demand. It’s certainly the most stressful and uncertain part of the process with the most to lose at the final hurdle 
Any helpful comments welcome .

24BE9D61-FEC5-477D-8087-489D01BAD268.webp 53.22 kB · 4 downloads

I thought that a Covid 19 Certificate was required from the testing centre stating the test was negative, AND a separate Fit to Fly Certificate was needed from a qualified medical officer/doctor stating that after a general medical check the person is deemed fit to fly i.e. two separate certficates.

I am about to enter the process so would ideally like to hear from someone with experience of the requirements who has travelled successfully ...

18 hours ago, gordog said:

Hi, in 2 weeks I will fly to Bangkok. I will be using a connecting flight , and depart london in the early evening. 

I was wondering if anyone who had travelled to Thailand, from London could recommend a Covid test and Fit to fly service. 

The reason I ask is that most seem to offer two services, a "results within 2 days" PCR test, but this would cut things very fine due to the timing. If my flight was delayed it would go over the 72 hours. Also, although it says 72 hours prior to leaving London, there is also the possibility that I could have problems on the transit connection perhaps?, as by the point of arrival there, I will over the 72 hours.

I was wondering if anyone who has left London for Thailand could say whether they have used these 24 hours tests and been fine or not?, and if so , could recommend one

Many thanks

Michael

Join the Facebook group "Thai expat UK (LDN) to Thailand travel during COVID-19" they have tons of info

1 minute ago, Dazzler said:

I thought that a Covid 19 Certificate was required from the testing centre stating the test was negative, AND a separate Fit to Fly Certificate was needed from a qualified medical officer/doctor stating that after a general medical check the person is deemed fit to fly i.e. two separate certficates.

I am about to enter the process so would ideally like to hear from someone with experience of the requirements who has travelled successfully ...

I think you need both

https://thaiest.com/blog/fit-to-fly-health-certificate-for-travelers-to-thailand

2 hours ago, gordog said:

Despite having already paid for a kit I’ve found and booked another at coronatestcentre.com who for £145 (2day) do the test at one of their centres in London ,Manchester etc (less chance of you messing it up yourself) AND issue a separate  fit to fly certificate which will be based on your test result . Maybe I’ve unnecessarily spent another  £145 but I will have 2 'bites of the cherry' ,a small price to pay given I’m already £2000 on the hook for flights and hotel ASQ. I even called them beforehand and spoke to someone very helpful . 

Lots of people trying to get back to Thailand. The vaccine is right around the corner. It should go back to normal soon. With out all the hassle.

11 minutes ago, garyk said:

Lots of people trying to get back to Thailand. The vaccine is right around the corner. It should go back to normal soon. With out all the hassle.

Clearly you are completely unaware of roll out timeframe for vaccines. Along with priority list for issue to various groups. 

Does soon mean 2022? 

11 minutes ago, garyk said:

Countries (like Thailand) that have adopted a virus elimination strategy are going to be very cautious about allowing quarantine free travel. I suspect that, at some point, a Covid-19 vaccine certificate will be required, but you will still be expected to undergo a short (perhaps, seven day) quarantine as the vaccines will not be 100% effective.

I believe free entry into Thailand as in the past (if, indeed, it ever returns) will not happen until the bulk of the Thai population has been vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Countries (like Thailand) that have adopted a virus elimination strategy are going to be very cautious about allowing quarantine free travel. I suspect that, at some point, a Covid-19 vaccine certificate will be required, but you will still be expected to undergo a short (perhaps, seven day) quarantine as the vaccines will not be 100% effective.

I believe free entry into Thailand as in the past (if, indeed, it ever returns) will not happen until the bulk of the Thai population has been vaccinated.

You may be right, I really don't know. But, IMHO money will rule. As things get worse in Thailand they will open up. Time will tell. 

14 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you are completely unaware of roll out timeframe for vaccines. Along with priority list for issue to various groups. 

Does soon mean 2022? 

Where I live the city said the vaccine will be here next week, and vaccines will be delivered to the health care first, then others. So, middle of 2021 should be reasonable. 

I read a financial article the other day on Thailand. The wealthiest people in Thailand in the retail sector are getting hit hard. World rankings have dropped there ranking from the top 3 into the 20's and dropping fast. It won't be long now before the government changes it tune. In the next few months as the vaccine comes on line I bet the rules will change FAST..  

Keep your money in your pocket, it won't be long now.

2 minutes ago, garyk said:

I read a financial article the other day on Thailand. The wealthiest people in Thailand in the retail sector are getting hit hard. World rankings have dropped there ranking from the top 3 into the 20's and dropping fast. It won't be long now before the government changes it tune. In the next few months as the vaccine comes on line I bet the rules will change FAST..  

Keep your money in your pocket, it won't be long now.

The Thai government's expecting to start initial vaccinations about the middle of 2021 and won't be opening the gates to full tourism until much nearer the end of the year. 

I have my COE, and I am ready to return to Thailand but for the Fit to Fly and Covid RT-PCR test.  I am from Reno, a small city without a fast result provider.   I must travel to a larger city for my test.  The testing lab promises to email the results  in time to stay within the 72 hour window ( airlines focus on date sample) (Thailand focus on date issue),  but I have been told that probably only one date, date sample tested in lab will appear on results.  It is my understanding that I need a medical certificate as well as the results.  There is a sample of a medical certificate  (general-not specific to covid) on the us embassy dc website.  My doctor in Reno has agreed, based on emailed results to prepare and sign certificate.

The  Thai embassy website does not say whether or not the results need to be original (hard copy), or if results can be email printout (soft copy).  They do not say who should prepare and sign the certificate ( doctor in charge of lab or personal doctor).  

In practice it will be difficult to have a hard copy of results mailed from out of state before I leave Reno.   And the candidate labs I have spoken to do not routinely create a medical certificate.

I have sent emails to Thai embassy dc, and la without response.  I asked my Thai wife to contact the embassy.  They told her that the test result must be original.   I did not receive an understandable answer concerning who should make the certificate.

If I try to comply with the verbal response of the embassy it will be expensive and difficult.   If someone who has already entered Thailand with covid results in hand would please comment on their experience.    Is a copy ok?

5 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

The Thai government's expecting to start initial vaccinations about the middle of 2021 and won't be opening the gates to full tourism until much nearer the end of the year. 

I doubt that will make much difference. As other countries get vaccinated the flood gates will open. 

3 hours ago, outbidyou said:

n practice it will be difficult to have a hard copy of results mailed from out of state before I leave Reno.   And the candidate labs I have spoken to do not routinely create a medical certificate.

I have sent emails to Thai embassy dc, and la without response.  I asked my Thai wife to contact the embassy.  They told her that the test result must be original.   I did not receive an understandable answer concerning who should make the certificate.

I returned from UK in October. NONE of my documents I presented were "original". All were print outs from emailed attachments.

5 hours ago, garyk said:

I doubt that will make much difference. As other countries get vaccinated the flood gates will open. 

The flood gates won't open here unless there is a recognized vaccination passport etc. They're not just going to start letting people in because other countries are doing vaccinations. 

17 hours ago, Whale said:

I returned from UK in October. NONE of my documents I presented were "original". All were print outs from emailed attachments.

I have my COE, and I am ready to return to Thailand but for the Fit to Fly and Covid RT-PCR test.  I am from Reno, a small city without a fast result provider.   I must travel to a larger city for my test.  The testing lab promises to email the results  in time to stay within the 72 hour window ( airlines focus on date sample) (Thailand focus on date issue),  but I have been told that probably only one date, date sample tested in lab will appear on results.  It is my understanding that I need a medical certificate as well as the results.  There is a sample of a medical certificate  (general-not specific to covid) on the us embassy dc website.  My doctor in Reno has agreed, based on emailed results to prepare and sign certificate.

The  Thai embassy website does not say whether or not the results need to be original (hard copy), or if results can be email printout (soft copy).  They do not say who should prepare and sign the certificate ( doctor in charge of lab or personal doctor).  

In practice it will be difficult to have a hard copy of results mailed from out of state before I leave Reno.   And the candidate labs I have spoken to do not routinely create a medical certificate.

If I try to comply with the verbal response of the embassy it will be expensive and difficult.   If someone who has already entered Thailand with covid results in hand would please comment on their experience.    Is a copy ok?

The Thai Embassy in Rome, with the approval of the COE, wrote to me :

• 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
  • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
  • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • 1.3 Fit to Fly Health Certificate. (Thailand’s Health Control requires a hard copy version.)
  • 1.4 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).
  • 1.5 Insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)
  • 1.6 T.8 Form (Health Declaration Form). You can download T.8 Form at https://bit.ly/34X6sAJ

This requirement regarding only the Fit to Fly certificate is really strange, considering that COE, Covid Certificate and Iinsurance are not original hard copy.

But any doctor should be able to fill out for you this certificate, is it so difficult to find some doctor where you are now ?

3 hours ago, federicoP said:

The Thai Embassy in Rome, with the approval of the COE, wrote to me :

• 1. After the receipt of COE, please prepare the additional documents to declare at the check-in counter as follows
  • 1.1 Passport and valid Thai visa/ re-entry permit (if required)
  • 1.2 Certificate of Entry (COE)
  • 1.3 Fit to Fly Health Certificate. (Thailand’s Health Control requires a hard copy version.)
  • 1.4 Medical certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 is not detected, using RT-PCR test, issued within 72 hours before departure (in case of connecting flights, before embarkation from initial port).
  • 1.5 Insurance or letter from employer guaranteeing that the insurance company or employer will cover a minimum of 100,000 USD of medical costs incurred by the applicant in Thailand, including medical costs in the event that applicant contracts COVID-19 (The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand)
  • 1.6 T.8 Form (Health Declaration Form). You can download T.8 Form at https://bit.ly/34X6sAJ

This requirement regarding only the Fit to Fly certificate is really strange, considering that COE, Covid Certificate and Iinsurance are not original hard copy.

But any doctor should be able to fill out for you this certificate, is it so difficult to find some doctor where you are now ?

That's interesting.  I think it is a reasonable requirement as the doctor is supposed to actually examine someone.  So it should be available right then, in person at the end of the exam.  The Covid test, on the other hand, is a sample taken and results are not instantaneous and are not done by the doctor.  Though in some cases they would order it and also be the ones to deliver the results.

However, I'm not actually using my doctor since they are very bureaucratic as far as forms go, so I'm not sure he would fill it in right then.  So I didn't ask.  I can see people having problems getting this done if they had similar bureaucracy to deal with.  I'm going to ask my doctor for future reference. 

On 12/3/2020 at 5:12 PM, federicoP said:

In this case Covid insurance with TGIA can be refunded, and many airways companies and ASQ accept a postponement

Don't forget to buy insurances to cover the fail of other insurances

Archived