Visa options for return to Thailand

My children studied in Thailand until March this year. We plan to return to Thailand as a family. 

I did manage to get an education visa earlier this year when schools restarted in September, but the visa for only 3 months, and we ran out of time to get back. But from January we are finally now set to return. 

However, i remember the absolute strain in getting the education visa was horrific. I just couldn't fathom the forms - even though i somehow managed. So this time i plan on just getting the regular tourist visa, and then getting the education visa once in Thailand (as the school do all this for you). 

The regular tourist visa just seems easier. Bank account details, monies in account, and that seems to be the only document needed. Compared to the horrendous list needed for an education visa. 

My only concern is once in Thailand - will it be easy to extend this visa? It's only for 60 days which is a worry. Plz assist. 

The 60 day entry from a tourist visa can be extended for 30 day.

Your children can apply the non-ed visa at immigration as soon as they have the supporting documents for it and the one year extensions during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

What type of visa and extension would you be applying for. You will not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration for being the parent of child attending school.

OP, pre covid you had options such as METV and border bounces along with visa exempt entries etc. Those days won't be back for a long time. Assume your under 50 so that rules out non o retirement.

The only option I can think of is PE (elite visa). Depends how long you wish to stay.

You could enter on SETV and then use an agent to obtain non o (volunteering). Not cheap.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The 60 day entry from a tourist visa can be extended for 30 day.

Your children can apply the non-ed visa at immigration as soon as they have the supporting documents for it and the one year extensions during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

What type of visa and extension would you be applying for. You will not be able to apply for a non-o visa at immigration for being the parent of child attending school.

so for long term would it be best for us to apply for the education visa whilst here in the UK, then as parents be issued the Non-o visa for 90 days. 

how would we extend this once in Thailand? If there are no options for us to extend once in Thailand then what would be the point for our 5 and 6 year old children being issued long term education visas ? 

36 minutes ago, DonaldPeverley said:

so for long term would it be best for us to apply for the education visa whilst here in the UK, then as parents be issued the Non-o visa for 90 days

That would be the best way to do it.

36 minutes ago, DonaldPeverley said:

how would we extend this once in Thailand? If there are no options for us to extend once in Thailand then what would be the point for our 5 and 6 year old children being issued long term education visas ? 

The children would get one year extensions near the end of the 90 days.

Then you and your wife could get extensions for being their parents. Father for one child and mother for the other. Both of you would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days for the first application and then 90 days for the next one.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That would be the best way to do it.

The children would get one year extensions near the end of the 90 days.

Then you and your wife could get extensions for being their parents. Father for one child and mother for the other. Both of you would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days for the first application and then 90 days for the next one.

Thank you so much for your advice ! You really are a life saver (well emotional life saver).

Will we be able to open a Thai bank account on a non immigrant O visa, to facilitate the extension? 

2 hours ago, DonaldPeverley said:

Will we be able to open a Thai bank account on a non immigrant O visa, to facilitate the extension?

Yes no problem. Just be aware that you may need to try few different branches. The smaller ones may ask for work permit. 

Think better to go to head office. 

I had success with Kasikorn recently at local branch simple.

I tried Bangkok bank and they wanted "stuff" from my embassy in bkk and also from my Oz bank. Hopeless. 

Shop around.

Archived