Gold rush in Thailand’s ‘fruit basket’ as farmers switch to durian

webfact

Gold rush in Thailand’s ‘fruit basket’ as farmers switch to durian

By THE NATION

800_2baeecdf6902aba.jpg

File photo for reference only

A survey of farmers in Thailand’s eastern fruit-growing areas shows that many plan on switching to durian next year, as prices for the crop surge thanks to domestic and overseas demand.

In 2021, Chanthaburi, Rayong and Trat will produce an estimated 1.6 million tonnes of four major fruit crops ¬– durian, mangosteen, rambutan and langsat – according to the Regional Office of Agricultural Economics 6 survey. The 2021 harvest is expected to be 7.11 per cent larger than this year.

The biggest increase in volume will be durian (11.42 per cent), followed by mangosteen (4.05 per cent) and langsat (0.52 per cent). The rambutan harvest is forecast to fall by 0.34 per cent next year.

The office explained that the price of durian has been relatively high for the past six or seven years, making the fruit popular among local growers. Thai durian has been a big hit with Chinese consumers in recent years, driving up its value.

Meanwhile, the price of rambutan has dropped and the cost of harvesting the fruit is relatively high. Some growers have decided to uproot their rambutan trees and switch to other crops.

The four fruits are mainly harvested in May and June.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399057

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-04

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Would all farmers produce these well-smelling fruits, the price would go down to hell.

impossible. You need the right land type, soil, rainfall, drainage etc. 
Most farms, especially in Issan, it won’t grow well enough to be profitable. Durian isn’t a weed that will grow easily anywhere.

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

The farmers are idiots, they farm whatever's currently getting a high price - all of them.

When it comes time to harvest there's an oversupply and that of course reduces prices massively

They then look for what's selling at a premium and grow that next season instead ????

Repeating the same mistake year after year.....it's an endless loop of idiocy

It's really quite sad, and a result of lack of education, and possibly independent thinking. If these farmers did indeed have a better idea of how supply, and demand works then many problems if debt could be avoided. I don't have any solutions.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

many plan on switching to durian next year,

They can't just switch. With grafted young trees, they will have to wait at least 4 years before they get any fruit. At least 10 years with non-grafted. The early fruiting years will not be as productive as later years when the tree is mature.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aspaltso said:

It's really quite sad, and a result of lack of education, and possibly independent thinking. If these farmers did indeed have a better idea of how supply, and demand works then many problems if debt could be avoided. I don't have any solutions.

your lack of knowledge is quite sad. 

the durian farmers are laughing all the way to the bank, not sad at all.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

It takes 7 years for a durian tree to produce any fruit and it needs looking after, it doesn't like wet feet so the ground must be sloped accordingly and well drained, the roots don't spread out too well so care has to be taken during storms, extra support etc. Durian always sells.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

maybe they need some foreign know it alls to set them straight....

• Like 1

One of my earliest impressions of Thailand;

My employer's business was strong in Hong Kong, and I was stationed there quite a bit in the late 70's and 80's. When business picked up in Thailand, the trip was usually via Thai Airways ex HKG.

Stepping onto the TG jet was a departure from the hustle and bustle of HKG. Gracious, polite, quiet Thai flight attendants dressed elegantly in Thai silk. Soft Thai music. Purple seats. A soft spoken exotic language on the PA system. 

And the smell. There was the smell of cologne and overcooked airline food in the air, but invariably there was a weird, unpleasant background oder that permeated the cabin. I blamed it on the toilets at the time, 3rd world airline was getting most things right, but was a bit lacking on toilet cleaning etiquette. 

Fast forward 50 years, 40 spent with a Durian loving Thai wife in the household, and often having that same oder present in our home and car. I now realize that Thai Airways jets, especially the A300's and A330's serving the BKK-HKG route, always had the lingering oder of Durian on board. They must have carried a lot of it in the cargo hold.

I haven't flown with TG in a while, I wonder if that's still the case.

Edited by ftpjtm