Rental Property Back Home

Surely many expats here are in this boat. If you’re not yet an expat and considering becoming one, then I highly recommend doing this.

At my previous schools (I‘m a lowly English teacher), I had a few colleagues proudly boasting about how they came here to escape their troubles, burning all their bridges back home. Don’t be that guy. You’ll often find that you’ll need a little extra to get by, and you’ll need to go back to something eventually. Give Mom or Dad calls quite often. Send them photos and gifts. Don’t burn those bridges. I don’t mean doing such things solely for your benefit, but such is indeed good.

So yeah, my mom and I have been sharing a rental property. The majority goes to mom, and I get a nice little portion to supplement my modest salary, which was nicely converting to Thai baht. That is, until those dollars have been hitting 29. Ouch.

We had hired a property manager. He came recommended, he seemed quite good. He’s now done it for us for nearly five years. Then Covid struck, and we were worried about the rent not coming in. But the tenants had jobs which fortunately weren’t affected, and they kept up. Yet I believe the property manager wasn’t so fortunate, with all the other tenants he’s been managing.

I remembered one of the tenants’ lease was up, so decided to give the manager a call. He says he’s gone. Huh? He knew when the lease was up. He should’ve been trying to find another one at least a month before. Ridiculous. Get someone in there, I tell him. This is my mom’s primary source of income.

Now the fun begins, the BS excuses. First I hear the decor is out of date, and could use some updating. Huh? This will affect the place being rented. Come on, no it won’t. It’s a pretty hot area in a big city. Sure it’s old, but still livable and usable. Then I start hearing about cracks and paint. Ok, let’s patch them up. How serious can this be? Finally, it’s the foundation! The house is crooked and falling down! Hahaha. I’m still in touch with the neighbors. Yeah, it’s a little crooked given the age, but hardly looks dangerous. I also think this should’ve come up before, and not after a “decor update” suggestion didn’t work, and certainly not conveniently when a lease is up. I adamantly refuse the repairs. So then he says he’s ready to resign.

He had decided to “play chicken”, a dangerous game because if you lose, that’s it. He’s probably used to a lot of other elderly clients getting scared and simply agreeing to the repairs. What to do if they refuse? Kind of hard to go back on, because then he has to admit he was BS’ing. So he has to quit.

Expect much more of this in these Covid times. Please share your related property stories.

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why are you unwiling to decorate the house ?

Potential  new tenants will not be interested in a old shabby house  , or they will expect to pay cheap rent .

You should be decorating the property every three years or so 

Agreed.

I had a house here on the market for sale for 4 years ( but with rental tennants ), had quite a few people come to look at buying it in that time but it needed some TLC.

When the tennants moved out, decorated and tarted the place up and sold it in 2 weeks.

I think you need to wake up op. 

I own a condo in downtown Toronto and the area doesn't get any hotter than this. Due to pandemic, however, hardly anyone is renting and prices have dropped significantly. I was advised by the agent to clean, repaint and change all the appliances and I will because there are a lot of places in the area that at this point in time look much better than mine and are still not being rented out. 

What was once hot is not anymore, but if you're willing to wait 2 years you may have a chance to tent out your <deleted> house like before.

I have many properties in UK and  have only lost one tennant due to them getting divorced.

My rent is slightly low, I allow animals and allow them to decorate (after approval of colours etc) If anything goes wrong I get it fixed immediately.

I choose my tenants wisely and allow the house to be at home.

After the one tenant I lost I did a full redecoration of the property and rented it out in less than one month including the refurb.

I think the OP needs to do a refurb and sort out any structural issues with property. You are only losing money because the property is not rented out.

Edited by ThaIrish Sean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Now the fun begins, the BS excuses. First I hear the decor is out of date, and could use some updating. Huh? This will affect the place being rented. Come on, no it won’t. It’s a pretty hot area in a big city. Sure it’s old, but still livable and usable. Then I start hearing about cracks and paint. Ok, let’s patch them up. How serious can this be? Finally, it’s the foundation! The house is crooked and falling down! Hahaha. I’m still in touch with the neighbors. Yeah, it’s a little crooked given the age, but hardly looks dangerous. I also think this should’ve come up before, and not after a “decor update” suggestion didn’t work, and certainly not conveniently when a lease is up. I adamantly refuse the repairs. So then he says he’s ready to resign.

you sound like a terrible landlord. your own words. *yeah, it's a little crooked given the age* 

what do you consider a little crooked ? foundation cracks are a little bit of an issue no ? sounds like the place is turning into an eye sore and i'll assume that for years you have put no money into its upkeeping or improvements. 

if wrong then call me out. 

Heh. Let's try again. I tend to write a bit much, which can be difficult for some people. But the information is there.

He went from decor update, to paint, to foundation work. I agreed to paint and patchwork. A kitchen decor update would be too much. I got a photo inspection and it's hardly falling apart. Could use some cleaning, yes. We just put in new appliances about two years ago.

I find his requests for repairs highly suspect, when he went from decor, to paint, to foundation. Foundation should've come up first, a real emergency. Not when his other requests didn't work, and not conveniently when there's a vacancy.

I've got a new manager now who's doing the cleaning and minor repairs, and is ready to rent.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Heh. Let's try again. I tend to write a bit much, which can be difficult for some people. But the information is there.

He went from decor update, to paint, to foundation work. I agreed to paint and patchwork. A kitchen decor update would be too much. I got a photo inspection and it's hardly falling apart. Could use some cleaning, yes. We just put in new appliances about two years ago.

I find his requests for repairs highly suspect, when he went from decor, to paint, to foundation. Foundation should've come up first, a real emergency. Not when his other requests didn't work, and not conveniently when there's a vacancy.

I've got a new manager now who's doing the cleaning and minor repairs, and is ready to rent.

before this situation arose. when was the last time you put money into the rental property ? 

7 minutes ago, mr mr said:

before this situation arose. when was the last time you put money into the rental property ? 

Again, two years ago, new appliances. Also around that time, living areas were repainted and recarpeted.

We get photo inspections. We also keep in touch with the neighbors. The "cracks" and paint issues are on the exterior, which can be patched up.

My God, how quick people jump to "eyesore" and "terrible landlord". On what information is this based? Have I said anything about the tenants? No. There's been no complaints from them. In fact we just got a Thanksgiving card from the remaining one. Haha. The issue is with the property manager, fishing for repairs.

My previous UK tenant was heavy handed he broke a tap, hinge and lock, I broke zilch the ten years I was there, anyway he moved out earlier this year and I have new tenants, I had a few things repaired and painted when the new tenants moved in, they are very happy, they think I've gone out of my way to get everything done they asked but with a good tenant they can help organise any work, not easy whilst in Thailand. I avoid using my agent for any maintenance work as they always charge too much

• Like 1
10 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Ive had the "foundations need work" from a property manager and as it is my best interests to make sure my properties are sound I organized and independent building inspection.

The report stated some stumps will need replacing within the next 2 years, Place was empty at the time so had the whole house re-stumped and the company that did the work told me 2 years was optimistic at best.

Inspection also found a minor leak in the shower, nipped that in the bud too before it became a real issue.

I call it peace of mind.

14 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

My God, how quick people jump to "eyesore" and "terrible landlord". On what information is this based? Have I said anything about the tenants? No. There's been no complaints from them. In fact we just got a Thanksgiving card from the remaining one. Haha. The issue is with the property manager, fishing for repairs.

Its based on personality, defects possibly.  Pay them no mind. This is what you find on social media, and thaivisa seems quite well represented. 
My question:  who did the manager usually use for repairs?  Is there any way he was making a nice cut?  Ive had that experience personally.  

• Like 1

Whenever tenants vacated my rental properties there was always work needed. I saw it as necessary and an opportunity to improve and attract new tenants more easily. 

I'm glad now not to have the hassles but do miss the relatively passive income. At least sale allowed me to buy my Bangkok condo outright for cash. 

On a more serious note; anyone with properties on rental in the UK is at high risk right now of tenants not paying rent. It will take 6 months to even initiate eviction proceedings under current pandemic rules. Some landlords are only accepting new tenants if they pay 6 months rental in advance. 

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, mike787 said:

Sell man.  Leave the stress of hell, take the cash and enjoy Thailand in peace and low stress, or keep repeating the insanity.  

Bad advice.

its only as stressful as you let it be.

3 properties in uk, fully managed by agent, 15% gross of rent money straight in pot for repairs.

all 3 properties are tenanted,

it pays for my living costs here and sum. :thumbsup:

what's the stress ? ah yes,  if any problems, i tell the agent get a quote and if it's ok for me.  fix it.

problem gone.

had one void period of 3 weeks this year. no big deal.

Also it's a place to go when  plan B is needed. and it is for me, soon. :jap:

• Like 2

Ah, some constructive comments finally. Thanks guys.

@scubascuba3 Yes indeed. My previous tenants noticed a countertop was peeling, they simply went to the home improvement store and had a sheet cut to size. Sent me the receipt, I deducted it from their rent, plus a little extra for their trouble. Easy. That's how my grandparents did it with the house they rented out, when I was a kid.

@gamini I wish I could say that. I was saying that in my first few years here. But not anymore. Just look at this govt and their ridiculous immigration, among other things. The stacks of papers we have to keep doing that keep getting thicker and thicker. I've gotta go back eventually, bringing my Thai wife along. She's got a great personality, work ethic, and hospitality industry experience that'd go a long way in American retail, much of which is now starting at $15/hr. That or 400 baht a day here. Hmm. There's also my teaching here in Thailand, which needs no elaboration. I want to finish my PhD, and finally do some real teaching at uni.

@mike787 I will sell when the time is right, which will certainly be awhile after Covid recovery. There are also imminent changes in my hometown which will increase the value, not happening for a few more years.

@harveyg Of course he makes a nice cut. That's how most of them operate. They lure you in with their low commissions, then pad the repair bills. The first month we had him, he kept nearly the entire months' rent from the two tenants, for minor repairs. We grumbled and complained, but not much we could do as Mom and I were now both in remote locations. He then fortunately gave us several more trouble free years. But now I reckon Covid prompted him to do this, and we knew it was coming. He quickly resigned after this "foundation emergency" didn't fly. There's also still a remaining tenant, who hasn't said anything, nor is being told to evacuate this horrible disaster zone. Haha.

@quake Yes indeed, I've realized Plan B is absolutely necessary. Which is why I prefaced my post with that "burning bridges" paragraph. Too many come here and do that, which you really can't. I'm glad I didn't. In the meantime, it's much needed supplementary income, and when the time comes a nest egg. It's an investment doing just fine sitting there being rented, much better than being blown on stocks or Bitcoins.

I have a small flat in Scotland I rent out for almost 10 years now. I bought it to rent, it's my sole property. I recently decided to sell as now I know I will never go back to live in the UK. I have given the tenants the mandatory Covid 6 months notice.

Over the years I have had 3 changes of tenants none of them have caused a problem but each has requested minor works and new appliances from time to time. I just approve and the agency does everything. At the last change of tenancy I approved a re-paint and re-carpet (remember carpets?) of the whole place, Now it is in good shape to sell. Regular mainttenance is a no brainer for many reasons. If you treat the tenants well they are more likely to treat your property well.

However as it turns out, even buying it 10 years ago, I am set to lose 10 to 20% on my initial investment which sucks. Thank you Brexit, Thank you Covid. It has however given me a reasonable income over the years, so no real regrets.

Edited by Saltire

Why even have a property manager ?

Deal directly with your tenants .

I was informed that my cooker needed replacing in my UK rental property .

I was in the mountains in Thailand at the time , I just went online and ordered a new cooker , made arrangements for someone to install it , and it was installed by the week-end .

In this day and age , there is no need for property managers 

• Confused 1
6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Why even have a property manager ?

Deal directly with your tenants .

I was informed that my cooker needed replacing in my UK rental property .

I was in the mountains in Thailand at the time , I just went online and ordered a new cooker , made arrangements for someone to install it , and it was installed by the week-end .

In this day and age , there is no need for property managers 

4 3 bed houses 2 with swimming pools, I cannot self manage that from abroad.

• Like 1

My dad past last Nov left me the family home, had a friend of my partner living there for 6 months she then decided to move closer to uni. The house has been  closed up since then. Gardens are looked after, mail box emptied. The next door neigh bourses keep and eye on my property for me.  Looking to come back to N.Z. for 3 months when ever this virous is controlled, clean out some of dads stuff which we will take down to the Salvation Army. Then and only then we will rent the place out and take it from there. In my mind I wish to keep the property as a back stop if ever we need it. I do not really need the rental money but why not take it if offered. I can always sell at a later date many options available and none need to be rushed. It was something I got that I never planed for so will not let it take over my happy life here in Thailand.