Latest Electric Car Prices in Thailand

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

For me yes, just one, my home.

It really depends upon how often you are going to do long trips. My daily commute of 40km each way is easily covered by an overnight charge at home.

Ok, thanks.

Just wondering for long trips.  Maybe driving around Issan not sure if they are up to speed on this.

Guess if not, just rent a gas car.

• Like 1

Like Boris in Jolly 'Ol hopes - no more new cars past 2030 using gas or diesel.

He has 9 years to install infrastructure around the country - not counting Scotland, Wales, Ireland, to permit EV charging for the masses.

And where is the parking coming from, with all those cars requiring hours to charge ?

Gov't going to buy the property ? And where is the electricity coming from ? Going to build a bunch of new power plants ? Fuelled by what ?

The more I read about this the more I laugh - Pipe Dream Mak Mak !

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

There are several possibilities, such as exchangeable battery packs, in road induction chargers that charge as they drive, etc. The battery technology is also improving.

That is all well and good. But what is available now ? Answer - nuttin'

When will it be available - answer - who knows

Until the infrastructure is in place it remains a "What If" "I Hope" "One Day "

7 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Obviously with the current needed, you would not be able to do that at home with a 15A socket, but a dedicated charging station with some seriously fat cabling could probably achieve that. And 9 years is a long time in technology World. We've had bigger challenges and they were resolved in far shorter time.

Batteries are do not necessarily have such high current charging requirements. A non hybrid plug in electric car will have a battery voltage in the range 400 - 800 volts so, as you might imagine, the charging current would not need such massively thick cables. Charging at home is quite feasible but it would still take a fair time to do. A dedicated charging station would possibly do the same but much quicker and with lots of safety limits to prevent overcharging. An example of a 600 volt battery being charged at 10 amps would give 6 kW for how ever many hours it is charging.

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/introduction-to-electric-vehicle-battery-systems/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matador007 said:

Obviously you want to have a decent home charger for sure.

The issue is going to be for those who don't have easy access to power where they park.

Condos for example are going to have to think about providing regular power outlets (for "slow" charging) at every parking slot, people are not going to live with having to plug in and then move their cars once charged. These will need to be metered and charged to the unit (and have some sort of locking so the neighbours can't "borrow" your charging point). Not insurmountable of course.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not insurmountable of course.

True - but who is thinking about these problems, and who is doing something to address them?

All well and good for politicians to stand up and be seen as 'Green' - we are talking votes after all - but without infrastructure in place before these cars are sold ...

I for one am all for them - would buy a bike in a heartbeat if the price was realistic, but seems the after sale aspects have not even begun to be addressed.

It may surprise you, but not only Hybrids like the Toyota Prius have a small 12 Volt battery, also fully electric cars like the BMW i3, the Tesla S or the new VW id.3 have one.

This battery isn’t for the engine ignition, it serves two other purposes. The first purpose is the power supply for electric low energy components like lights or ventilation, the second purpose is to power up the power supply system with the big battery. So they more or less connect the big battery to the car’s electric system. I think this has much to do with safety: A big, fat 70 kWh battery should be disconnected from everything when it is not in use.

Fun fact: The 12 Volt lead-acid battery of a Toyota Prius has only half the capacity of a starter battery used in a comparable gas-only car. It definitely is not there to start the engine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

The issue is going to be for those who don't have easy access to power where they park.

Condos for example are going to have to think about providing regular power outlets (for "slow" charging) at every parking slot, people are not going to live with having to plug in and then move their cars once charged. These will need to be metered and charged to the unit (and have some sort of locking so the neighbours can't "borrow" your charging point). Not insurmountable of course.

Some Bangkok condos already do exactly that. EV charging stations at parking lots, tap card of your room and it adds it to your monthly electricity bill.

13 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

A Chinese made Tesla Model 3 standard range in Thailand costs US$100,000 (three times higher than in the USA)

128856758_187568259707457_6791491106102220683_o.jpg

Tesla has not established a presence in Thailand yet, so all cars are brought in from the UK and Hong Kong through the grey market, with tax, duty and importer profit.  When it's official, all Made-In-China Teslas will come in with 0% import duty, just like the MG ZS.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Ok, thanks.

Just wondering for long trips.  Maybe driving around Issan not sure if they are up to speed on this.

Guess if not, just rent a gas car.

Never seen any EV charging points in Isaan. Certainly not around Yasothon or Roi Et.

I can not believe the electrical generation/distribution systems around the world are up to the demand needed. Why is Hydrogen load cells not being promoted? Plentiful supply of Hydrogen, cleaner by far than electric  (pollution due to generation) and only waste is water which is also a win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Never seen any EV charging points in Isaan. Certainly not around Yasothon or Roi Et.

Yeah the same for down south. I have been checking the maps that show recharge points over the years and hoping someone will see the obvious issue if you want to drive from Bangkok to Surat Thani in a day. 

21 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

I can not believe the electrical generation/distribution systems around the world are up to the demand needed. Why is Hydrogen load cells not being promoted? Plentiful supply of Hydrogen, cleaner by far than electric  (pollution due to generation) and only waste is water which is also a win.

There are plenty of fuel cell vehicles out there. I think the reason why battery vehicles are more prevalent is marketing hype and the fact that everyone understands and accepts batteries  whereas hydrogen is not widely understood except as an explosive element.

Prices are all well above an Isuzu truck or Yaris for the average Thai, although here in Phuket there are many more expensive cars being used by middle class Thais. The killer would be if you had an accident, repair costs? I would like to buy one and seriously looked at the MG EV but that 330km range for the occasional long trip from Phuket doesn't work. Have to get a few charging stations south of Hua Hin first or as speculated the next upgrade to the MG with a 500km range would help.

The new Nissan 1.2l ICE charging a battery to an electric motor looks interesting, albeit overly complex but it does fit in to the current infrastructure, no range issues. Anyone tried the Nissan?

Hydrogen is still expensive to produce and mainly comes from natural gas, has to be stored under high pressure and the fuel cell technology is complex and expensive compared to electric motors with batteries. It will get there one day especially for larger vehicles, boats and maybe planes?

19 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Is the outlander the pajero ? The outlander in uk looks same as pajero in Thailand and I think was best selling phev in uk last year or this . 

No the outlander is a completely different model to the Pajero