Khao San: After the hype comes the reality - once "billion baht" street" deserted in the daytime

webfact

Good riddance, I for one won't miss it, horrible place.

Went once with a stag weekend group from Cambodia about 6 years ago.

Got pickpocketed by 2 large African ladies towards the end of the night.

Never been back, never will.

Stopped staying there in about 2003, but have often had to go back to visit friends who visit who always want to stay there for some reason. KSR itself was never good even back then, but some of the surrounding roads were OK for a night watching the crowds.

For all it's bad points and there are lots, it created a sense of welcoming to many first time visitors and I am sure a few Thai's became multi millionaires milking the backpackers for every satang they had. 

Never forget the braids and never forgive

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It always amuses me when a farang claims that Thailand is doomed without them. Every farang could vanish tomorrow and IMO only the bar girls, families and the tourist companies would miss them. Thailand survived just fine prior to 1970 and will do so again if it comes to it.

You might to read about the influence of farang in Udon Thani and Pattaya prior to 1970

20 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

You might to read about the influence of farang in Udon Thani and Pattaya prior to 1970

I've been to Udon 20 odd years ago hardly saw any farang, I think farang did play a big part in putting Udon on the map

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Well, cry me a river; many traders made huge profits in such tourist spots around Thailand during the good times, which extended for years. If they did not have the foresight to save and plan for the future then my sympathy only extends to those at the bottom of the food chain, who never had the chance to establish themselves.

Most of the traders do not cry around, they all live in fancy moo baans in Nonthaburi. I guess it is different for all the migrant Myanmar workers like tailors and stuff. As well other small vendors. The rents they paid are insane high, one spot in soi rambuttri was like 9sqm and costed 40K a month + have to be paid a full year in advance each year. Amsterdam is cheaper than that lol.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I've lived here 25 years I've been twice

Been there 1 time..many years ago because my trip to bangkok included a stay in hotel in KSR..been in thailand since 2003..but only maximum 6 months a year

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It always amuses me when a farang claims that Thailand is doomed without them. Every farang could vanish tomorrow and IMO only the bar girls, families and the tourist companies would miss them. Thailand survived just fine prior to 1970 and will do so again if it comes to it.

It isn't farang per se, farang are either expats or tourists.

Whilst tourism is obviously very important to the economy, some expats have convinced themselves that without expats (residents) Thailand's economy would be finished, which I don't think is true.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pottinger said:

Well, cry me a river; many traders made huge profits in such tourist spots around Thailand during the good times, which extended for years. If they did not have the foresight to save and plan for the future then my sympathy only extends to those at the bottom of the food chain, who never had the chance to establish themselves.

Thai don't save much money. If they earn 2000 baht today, they party and spend that money tomorrow.

• Like 2

Its the same everywhere the bars are open well some are but the only people in them are the ones who work there .. China has done a good job on the world .yet Thailand are begging them to come into the kiddom. Samui is like a ghost town and many other places not just the Khao San Rd  . 

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

WHAT !! --------- You mean the ex SAS guys that sit around the concrete tables of the Mum & Pop stores are not the financial engine of one of the best economies of south east Asia.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, mr mr said:

for what ? 

does the headline not state that the place is deserted at night. that's a clear signal to open longer. 

sawatdee kap.

It states it's deserted during the day when most Thais are working and tourists are absent, only coming to life after 5pm when Thais go out in the evening.