Chang beer

itsari

Remember that there is a difference between the taste of canned beer and beer in bottles.

Beer in bottles, no matter what color of the glass, can have a taste difference because of light. 

The taste difference is called lightstruck and can happen within the hour when a bottle is standing in light.

The taste of lightstruck occurs when there is a chemical reaction with UV light and the acids in the Hops.

In many bars and supermarkets they use refrigerators with display glass and lighting.

When they not use special lamps in the fridges, You will have UV light in the fridge.

Beer in bottles always have to be stored in the dark.

Green glass is more vulnerable to light than brown bottles.

How darker the glass how better protected against light.

So cans is the best way to protect your beer.

Other possibilities to experience taste difference are;

-Age of the beer (time from filling to selling) 

-Temperature (how is it stored between packaging and selling)

-Oxygen (filling the beer absolutely oxygen free)

Little disclaimer; In the America's they use clear glass.

That is because they use genetic manipulated hops that don't react with UV light. 

Edited by Moneyhonour
Lighting in stead of lightning
  • Like 1

I drink bottled classic all the time and haven't noticed any change in taste.

The only time I notice a change is if the bottle is over 3 months old the beer starts to go off.

I always check the side of the box for the brew date.

I was once served a Singha that was 9/10 months old in a bar and had to spit it out it was so disgusting.

Back when a local 7-11 was selling Beer Lao, I would joke with a Thai buying LEO about it. They never seem to find much humor in it.

Beer Lao! Nice!

I'm just not into Chang. Not willing to put myself through it. 555 Seems it was good years ago though. Thai men don't seem to like bitter beers nor dark.

18 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

It has always been hit and miss. A few years ago I sometimes I would drink 5 large bottles and not feel a thing, the next time I would be off my 3KZ after 4 bottles. 

Its called getting old .I can only handle a fraction of the beer that I could drink 10 years ago!!!

• Haha 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:05 AM, itsari said:

Thanks for the reply , the chang beer i drink is from bottles . A friend has also mentioned that the chang beer the last month has not been the best . Once i bought a bottle in a bar that  was undrinkable . Mentioned this to the management  of the bar and just got a shrug of the shoulders ,  added with a comment I don't drink beer . The change in the beer quality has been for the last month . 

Change bar.... :cheesy::cheesy:

11 hours ago, Moneyhonour said:

Remember that there is a difference between the taste of canned beer and beer in bottles.

Beer in bottles, no matter what color of the glass, can have a taste difference because of light. 

The taste difference is called lightstruck and can happen within the hour when a bottle is standing in light.

The taste of lightstruck occurs when there is a chemical reaction with UV light and the acids in the Hops.

In many bars and supermarkets they use refrigerators with display glass and lighting.

When they not use special lamps in the fridges, You will have UV light in the fridge.

Beer in bottles always have to be stored in the dark.

Green glass is more vulnerable to light than brown bottles.

How darker the glass how better protected against light.

So cans is the best way to protect your beer.

Other possibilities to experience taste difference are;

-Age of the beer (time from filling to selling) 

-Temperature (how is it stored between packaging and selling)

-Oxygen (filling the beer absolutely oxygen free)

Little disclaimer; In the America's they use clear glass.

That is because they use genetic manipulated hops that don't react with UV light. 

In reference to your location : Istambul????:cheesy:

2 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

The one you show is not better....

A good beer has to be a bit bitter, Leo has that taste. Of course only when it's fresh. 

A little bit bitter is a must for a beer if it's not a "Märzen", and Chang beer's sweet and tastes weird. Plus it only gives me a headache. 

I can't even drink a whole big bottle of Chang. Even Archa is of better taste. 

21 hours ago, Oldie said:

Try the new Leo Number 8. Since it is new on the market at least it can't be old. And it is not so bad.

Leo Strong Brew.

What's that all about?

Regular Leo is 5.0% and is undrinkable.

Strong Brew Leo is 5.1% but does actually taste better.

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

A good beer has to be a bit bitter, Leo has that taste. Of course only when it's fresh. 

A little bit bitter is a must for a beer if it's not a "Märzen", and Chang beer's sweet and tastes weird. Plus it only gives me a headache. 

I can't even drink a whole big bottle of Chang. Even Archa is of better taste. 

I like sweet things. 555555555