Thai tourism: Foreigners likened to fish that need to be caught to spur recovery

webfact

On 12/5/2020 at 11:52 AM, americanfarang said:

Well, if Thailand wants me to be a fish and to catch me, they will have to eliminate the ridiculous entry requirements.  Until that time, I am off to Costa Rica January 16-26, where they only require covid insurance and January 30-February 9 to Colombia, where they don't require anything.  Sorry Thailand, but this fish, me, will go spend my thousands of USD$ where I am welcomed.  Good luck on catching your "fish".  555

Enjoy yourself.

It's unlikely you'd come to Thailand for 11 and 10 days anyway.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:41 AM, webfact said:
Thai tourism: Foreigners likened to fish that need to be caught to spur recovery

2pm1.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

In a rambling That Rath opinion article about Thailand's return to mass tourism post-pandemic, one observation stood out.

It came from ML Surawut Thongthaem who used to represent a hotel group who told the media:

"One should not just catch the fish in one's own backyard pond, one needs to catch fish outside..."

He was clearly referring to the need to get foreign tourists back in Thailand to stimulate the recovery in the sector.

In comments that appeared to have been attributed to Surawut he suggested that Thailand needs to strengthen its services to tourists and its credibility so that it is sustainable. 

Decades of massive growth have seen Thailand's tourism sector explode as much as anywhere on earth.

They have grabbed a large slice of the tourism pie that represents 10.3% of world GDP, said the media.

But now was the time for a rethink of the priorities.

One way forward - referencing the analogy of Surawuth - was to go after the BIG fish. Well heeled tourists who would spend plenty.

Another idea at least for the present is to follow all the protocols and encourage an eight step plan to promote a place like Phuket as a winter haven away from Covid hit areas in the west like the US and Europe.

Phuket could be billed as a "safe haven" for those foreign fish. 

But Thailand has to act fast to ensure that it is not a fish out of water. 

Soure: Thai Rath

I have Super idea for Tourist related Video... Must be sung by "Bird"! Contact me for more about his!! Would be perfect now to make come-back alive and well!

Now bear with me... it is true that in business you are simply catching fish.  Customers in the tourism industry is heads in beds, bums in seats.  

Would the marketing department actually say something so childish to the general public?  No.  Because all people possess a modicum of common sense.  Well not all.... 

These people have clearly demonstrated time and time again that they possess no common sense.  They are isolated, they believe themselves to be better than the rest of the world, and they talk down about foreigners.  It reveals their true selves and it's not an acceptable way to talk about people.  As if they were cattle.