Fake 1,000 baht notes warning: Trader goes to Twitter to vent frustrations

webfact

Fake 1,000 baht notes warning: Trader goes to Twitter to vent frustrations

6pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A trader went on Twitter to say how they had been conned by someone who had ripped them off to the tune "of nearly 10,000 baht" by paying with fake notes. 

A picture showed 7,000 baht and one of the notes in closeup.

The poster appeared to have sold a bag to the person who handed over the notes. 

In addition to getting the bag for free they also got 700 baht in real change!

The poster called for the tweet to be retweeted to warn others. 

They said the fakes were so good they were only spotted at the bank.

Soure: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-04

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, keith101 said:

The original notes are printed in China so not to hard for them to bring in fakes when entering as tourists and the Chinese are the biggest country for making fakes of just about everything .

If true (and I have no reason to contradict) this would be the perfect scenario for the biggest rip-off of the century ????

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

The original notes are printed in China so not to hard for them to bring in fakes when entering as tourists and the Chinese are the biggest country for making fakes of just about everything .

42 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

If true (and I have no reason to contradict) this would be the perfect scenario for the biggest rip-off of the century ????

And they want Chinese  on mass to come her to help out a bit

50 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My missus once said there's a grade of fake.. like grade A grade B etc.

Thats true and they know where to go in Bangkok to buy, My misses bought me a couple of football shirts to send back to England these were that good I couldn't tell, when my friend got them in England even he didn't know he thought they were real

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keith101 said:

Source?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Source?

Vivid imagination  <---- being polite :coffee1:

That said, the China Banknote Printing and Minting Corporation did claim to have a contract for doing so so easy to come up with a conspiracy theory. Would be a good way to tank the economy.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

8 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

6 hours ago, Traubert said:

Source?

I'd like a source for this too, but they can't provide one.

Because.....

Opposite Bank of Thailand headquarters on Samsen Road next to Rama VIII Bridge, the 49-year-old building, designed by ML Santhaya Israsena and Dr Ratchata Kanjanavit, ceded its 12,900 square metres to the Learning Centre, which opened earlier this year to commemorate the central bank’s 75th anniversary. 

This was the national Note Printing Facility from 1969 to 2007. Banknotes have since then been produced at a bigger facility in Nakhon Pathom.

(emphasis added)

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/lifestyle/30339035

Oh, and this....  https://www.bot.or.th/English/Banknotes/production_and_security/Pages/NPTBankOfThailand.aspx

• Like 1

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Out of interest, without having your own bank note scanner, is there a way to tell?  

All same number, spelling mistake or what?

• The watermark of Thai King Phumiphol situated in the white space on the right-hand side of the note. The watermark can be seen if held up to light. Fake bills usually will not have this watermark.
  • On the opposite side of the note, you will see six markers which have a metallic sheen. Fake bills will usually not contain this feature or, if they do, the markers will not have a metallic sheen.
  • A genuine note feels dry and smooth. Counterfeit bills feel 'greasy' or 'slippery' due to the cheapness and freshness of the ink used to print them.
  • The fiber of a genuine bill is sturdy and made with strong materials. A counterfeit bill uses cheap paper and is easy frayed or torn