Car owner escapes unhurt as vehicle suddenly catches fire

webfact

Car owner escapes unhurt as vehicle suddenly catches fire

By The Nation

800_b7d06c610555f0d.jpg?v=1607059396

The owner of a second-hand car escaped unscathed after the vehicle suddenly caught fire while he was driving.

On Thursday night, Artit Raiphimai, 41, was returning home from The Mall Bang Khae. He felt heat being emitted under the car, which he had been using for only a month.

When he got out of the vehicle, flames suddenly began to spread all over.

Taling Chan police were notified of the situation and contacted firefighters to extinguish the fire on Chimplee Road. They spent 10 minutes controlling the fire but the car was entirely burnt.

Artit had to contact the insurance agency to cover the damage.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399092

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-04

Once had a pressure seal on a 4x4 transmission blow while on a long hot drive. I was oblivious to the flaming fluid flying from underneath the truck for 20 or so miles as I speed down the highway. Noticed I was losing drive power and pulled over. Highway Patrol pulled in behind me later to tell me I'd been reported leaving a trail of fire. Had the truck towed, they had to replace the entire transmission as the heat had warped the bell housing beyond repair.

So, for a short period in my life I was a flaming idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The owner of a second-hand car escaped unscathed after the vehicle suddenly caught fire while he was driving.

Had that happen to me many years ago... on my way home from work, pulled over and topped up to the limit with fuel at the station then drove the last 5 minutes home. The car was spluttering on the way back after the re-fuel, I was thinking some muck in the line or similar but managed to nurse it back home, as i pulled up in the drive up she went.... I was out and away like a scalded cat as it was full of petrol.

Fire brigade put it out but the whole front end was toast. Inspection showed a plastic pipe from the fuel pump back to a metal pipe just in front of the bulkhead, that had melted and sealed preventing it tracing back to the tank... so lucky.

It has been verified as a petrol powered vehicle. So many, so quick to speculate...failed gas modifications are a real problem of course, take away under the bonnet, not so much. Can't quite remember the exact quote but someone once said that "it is better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone assume that you are a fool, rather than open your mouth and prove that you are".

• Like 1