Who pays hospital fees ?

Macthehat

Asking for a friend, 

Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience of who pays the hoslital fees if a thai national is hospitalised after a motorcycle accident . The motorcyclist had no insurance ( and drunk)  and has been apparently landed with a huge bill for his treatment . Is this funded fully by the state or would he be liable for all costs for his treatment.  

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience . 

12 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Asking for a friend, 

Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience of who pays the hoslital fees if a thai national is hospitalised after a motorcycle accident . The motorcyclist had no insurance ( and drunk)  and has been apparently landed with a huge bill for his treatment . Is this funded fully by the state or would he be liable for all costs for his treatment.  

You are talking a one person accident so no other persons fault.  Suspect life stabilization treatment would (should) be free if Thai but other treatment would require transfer to registered hospital or payment would be required.  But I am not an authority on such.  The asking for a friend brings up the red flag as to if this is real or a request for funds by a 3rd party.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Macthehat said:

Asking for a friend, 

No insurance drunk no insurance, no one else involved he will get a bill.

Whether he pays it will be sorted one way or the other, he will probably pay monthly I expect. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No insurance drunk no insurance, no one else involved he will get a bill.

He certainly will. Victims of traffic accidents do not get treated free in Thai government hospitals. That is why they should have the Por Ror Bor insurance, which is compulsory and covers third party hospital bills. To a limit.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

He certainly will. Victims of traffic accidents do not get treated free in Thai government hospitals. That is why they should have the Por Ror Bor insurance, which is compulsory and covers third party hospital bills. To a limit.

The limit is 30,000 baht on a motorcycle.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Free at the government hospital where he is registered.

If an emergency and he is to ill to be safely transferred to it, then free at any government hospital (but might need a call to the NHSO to enforce that/sort it out, the cashiers don't know what was and was not an emergency and just automatically bill anyone not registered at that hospital under the universal scheme).

If a private hospital he would be liable unless it was a life and death emergency and impossible to transfer him to government hospital in which case the first 78 hours should be free but almost always needs intervention from NHSO to enforce that.

Easily 95% of these sort of questions turn out to reflect and attempt to get money for the foreign friend and often over something that did nto actually occur.

Have you actually seen this bill?

I haven't seen the bill but I will ask for it ans if possible post it ...its obviously going to be in thai so it could say anything and I wouldn't be able to read it . Yes this is an attempt to squeeze money from a " foreign friend " bit the accident actually did happen . 

It involved a motor cycle who was run over by a car who in turn was hit from behind by another car .... turns out all involved were drunk .... amazing I know ., ive seen photos of the injured person who apparently has been hit with a 60,000 baht hospital  bill . He was in hospital for a few months and almost lost a leg . He's been out a few weeks now and it seems just now he's received a bill from the hospital and unable to pay . His daughter (friends girlfriend) has asked my friend to pay the bill , ive informed him that I think the treatment for a thai national was free and its a scam to squeeze money from him . I will try to get the bill and hopefully someone can translate to see if it is actually legitimate . Thanks everyone for your advise and thoughts .

14 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Correct but not sure it applies when drunk??????? 

That sounds right.

I only know about the 30,000 baht, because the wife's neice riding pillion, holding a 6-month old baby got knocked off last week, so we were discussing it. Baby and husband okay, but niece damaged her knee. As she is registered to another province the quotes were 100,000 baht from two hospitals to fix the knee. At fault rider has no tax or insurance and no money.

So the solution is use up what remains of the 30,000 baht for a plaster cast and transfer her residence details to Bangkok so she can get free medical treatment for the rest of the treatment. It is now too late to do the operation, so she will have to hope the plaster cast allows it to heal.

They will have to pay for the damaged bike themselves as bikes are not routinely insured.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

I haven't seen the bill but I will ask for it ans if possible post it ...its obviously going to be in thai so it could say anything and I wouldn't be able to read it . Yes this is an attempt to squeeze money from a " foreign friend " bit the accident actually did happen . 

It involved a motor cycle who was run over by a car who in turn was hit from behind by another car .... turns out all involved were drunk .... amazing I know ., ive seen photos of the injured person who apparently has been hit with a 60,000 baht hospital  bill . He was in hospital for a few months and almost lost a leg . He's been out a few weeks now and it seems just now he's received a bill from the hospital and unable to pay . His daughter (friends girlfriend) has asked my friend to pay the bill , ive informed him that I think the treatment for a thai national was free and its a scam to squeeze money from him . I will try to get the bill and hopefully someone can translate to see if it is actually legitimate . Thanks everyone for your advise and thoughts .

A car driver should have the third party insurance, so I think you should find out if in Thailand this would cover injury to third parties, even whilst drunk.

In the event that insurance won't pay, then normally the police can broker a meeting between the parties and the at fault car driver may be required to pay himself. If the motorcycle rider was at fault then he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on and perhaps has to arrange a payment plan with the hospital.

Often Thai families will pass the hat around when something like this happens and all the brothers and sisters chip in so it shouldn't really be up to your friend to pay all.

50 minutes ago, markeewan said:

That sounds right.

I only know about the 30,000 baht, because the wife's neice riding pillion, holding a 6-month old baby got knocked off last week, so we were discussing it. Baby and husband okay, but niece damaged her knee. As she is registered to another province the quotes were 100,000 baht from two hospitals to fix the knee. At fault rider has no tax or insurance and no money.

So the solution is use up what remains of the 30,000 baht for a plaster cast and transfer her residence details to Bangkok so she can get free medical treatment for the rest of the treatment. It is now too late to do the operation, so she will have to hope the plaster cast allows it to heal.

They will have to pay for the damaged bike themselves as bikes are not routinely insured.

Sounds serious; When i had the bone sticking outta my knee I had to pay approx 5000Thb, reimbursed by insurance..

55 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Ok these circumstances are a little different from what it originally sounded like.

As another vehicle was involved and hit him, that vehicle's compulosry insurance should cover it.   And the hospital, if a government hospital, should accept what the insurance pays.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ok these circumstances are a little different from what it originally sounded like.

As another vehicle was involved and hit him, that vehicle's compulosry insurance should cover it.   And the hospital, if a government hospital, should accept what the insurance pays.

Even over the 30000Thb limit?

22 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is the limit on a MC insurance not a car insurance. Cars have much higher limits.

But with all drunk drivers there may be no valid insurance.

The vehicle's compulsory insurance at 30k is the same for Cars and Bikes (and Pickups etc)

Here is the letter supposedly sent to explain payment is required ...I can't see any mention of money, unless it is written in letters rather than numbers . 

Hopefully somebody can decipher it . Thanks 

Screenshot_20201205-145158_Messenger.jpg

Edited by Macthehat
Added a photo

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

She was obviously not at fault, so the compulsary insurance would pay up to 80k, this would have nearly covered it: https://www.rvp.co.th/ClaimQA_en.php

For the compulsary insurance it's not relevant if the driver was drunk, didn't have a license or is underaged.

Thanks for that link, I will share it with them.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

For the compulsary insurance it's not relevant if the driver was drunk, didn't have a license or is underaged.

May depend on the insurance company. From personal experience 

wife drove the car and has a wreck first day while I was away on business trip. Single car accident swerved off road hit telephone 

pole that kept her from being in the drink. 

Car was insured she doesn’t have a license and claim wasn’t paid

by insurance. 160,000 baht to repair .. out of my pocket. I don’t leave the keys to my car... why she doesn’t get a license makes no 

sense. Car was 3 years old Swift......

Good car and seems safe. Had a Swift about the same year in China. At night on 4 lane (2 eachside)highway signaled left turn just as I started to turn a 5 ton Dump truck hit me on the drivers side car door and front fender .. spun no one hurt in my car. The driver oh sorry fell asleep.. he woke up after he hit me..uhhh huh? repair was paid 

by his insurance got the car back in about a week...

Papa was in car with her and drove with no license until the wreck and went and got a license in two weeks. 7 months to get car back.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Macthehat said:

Hopefully somebody can decipher it .

As he isn't insured he should have paid the hospital 26,699 Bht by 10 November. As he hasn't paid, the Victim Compensation Fund will have paid on his behalf so now he needs to reimburse the Victim Compensation Fund the initial sum plus 20% so now owes 32,038.80 Bht.

If he doesn't pay he'll get done under the Protection for victims of car accidents Act with a fine ranging from 10K Bht to 525K Bht.

Above according to Bixby vision which although not 100% accurate tends to be good enough to have a decent shot at deciphering most of the time:

2076463251_20201206_160530-jpg-17191289-.png.2e015bfe1b52d2b82e83362a4baa766c.png

Edited by Salerno
Typo
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

May depend on the insurance company. From personal experience 

wife drove the car and has a wreck first day while I was away on business trip. Single car accident swerved off road hit telephone 

pole that kept her from being in the drink. 

Car was insured she doesn’t have a license and claim wasn’t paid

by insurance. 160,000 baht to repair .. out of my pocket. I don’t leave the keys to my car... why she doesn’t get a license makes no 

sense. Car was 3 years old Swift......

She is lucky to have you

if it was me she will be now my ex wife

1\ in a couple trust is not something negociable

2\ you can't fix stupid

but of course each on his own

22 hours ago, Macthehat said:

If i was you i would not be too much involved in this story

you could lose your friend in the process

just inform him he is asked the double of the real bill

and that he doesn't have to pay this bill in the first place

(Not his problem, really, not his family, not his country,

not his bad behaviour =drive drunk= and so on)

then let him to decide what to do with his money and his pus,,,,err gf

up to him

Thai girls are among the best in the art of begging for money

it's a national sport !

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That is the limit on a MC insurance not a car insurance. Cars have much higher limits.

But with all drunk drivers there may be no valid insurance.

For PoRorBor drunk driving or not is not an issue regaring payment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

As he isn't insured he should have paid the hospital 26,699 Bht by 10 November. As he hasn't paid, the Victim Compensation Fund will have paid on his behalf so now he needs to reimburse the Victim Compensation Fund the initial sum plus 20% so now owes 32,038.80 Bht.

If he doesn't pay he'll get done under the Protection for victims of car accidents Act with a fine ranging from 10K Bht to 525K Bht.

Above according to Bixby vision which although not 100% accurate tends to be good enough to have a decent shot at deciphering most of the time:

2076463251_20201206_160530-jpg-17191289-.png.2e015bfe1b52d2b82e83362a4baa766c.png

Good old bixby ... thank you 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

This is nto a hospital bill. It is a letter from the insurance Commission.

The letter is addressed not to victim on motorcycle but to owner of the car deemed at fault.

The car owner evidentally did nto have insurance as required by law (or so the letter states)

Accordingly the car owner is being asked to pay the hospital bill.

The amount is 26, 699 and not the 60,000 OP had mentioned.

If the car owner fails to pay, the hospital will be paid by the Victims Compensation fund. The car owner will then be liable to reimburse the Victims Compensation Fund in that amount plus interest.

Nothing in this is asking the motorcyclist to pay anything.  It appears the hospital submitted a bill to the Insurance Commission's Victim Compensation Fund, as they should.

The issue is now between the OIC Fund and the driver of the car. Either way the hospital will be paid.

Thank you , so it seems the motorcyclist hasn't to pay anything,  so it seems a bluff to make my friend cough up a fistful money for a phoney bill .

Edited by Macthehat
Speling
  • Like 1