Who pays hospital fees ?

Asking for a friend, 

Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience of who pays the hoslital fees if a thai national is hospitalised after a motorcycle accident . The motorcyclist had no insurance ( and drunk)  and has been apparently landed with a huge bill for his treatment . Is this funded fully by the state or would he be liable for all costs for his treatment.  

Thanks in advance for any advice or experience . 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Free at the government hospital where he is registered.   If an emergency and he is to ill to be safely transferred to it, then free at any government hospital (but might need a call to the

This is nto a hospital bill. It is a letter from the insurance Commission.   The letter is addressed not to victim on motorcycle but to owner of the car deemed at fault.   The car

She was obviously not at fault, so the compulsary insurance would pay up to 80k, this would have nearly covered it: https://www.rvp.co.th/ClaimQA_en.php   For the compulsary insurance it's n

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Asking for a friend, 

Does anyone have any knowledge or first hand experience of who pays the hoslital fees if a thai national is hospitalised after a motorcycle accident . The motorcyclist had no insurance ( and drunk)  and has been apparently landed with a huge bill for his treatment . Is this funded fully by the state or would he be liable for all costs for his treatment.  

You are talking a one person accident so no other persons fault.  Suspect life stabilization treatment would (should) be free if Thai but other treatment would require transfer to registered hospital or payment would be required.  But I am not an authority on such.  The asking for a friend brings up the red flag as to if this is real or a request for funds by a 3rd party.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Macthehat said:

Asking for a friend, 

No insurance drunk no insurance, no one else involved he will get a bill.

Whether he pays it will be sorted one way or the other, he will probably pay monthly I expect. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

No insurance drunk no insurance, no one else involved he will get a bill.

He certainly will. Victims of traffic accidents do not get treated free in Thai government hospitals. That is why they should have the Por Ror Bor insurance, which is compulsory and covers third party hospital bills. To a limit.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

He certainly will. Victims of traffic accidents do not get treated free in Thai government hospitals. That is why they should have the Por Ror Bor insurance, which is compulsory and covers third party hospital bills. To a limit.

The limit is 30,000 baht on a motorcycle.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Free at the government hospital where he is registered.

If an emergency and he is to ill to be safely transferred to it, then free at any government hospital (but might need a call to the NHSO to enforce that/sort it out, the cashiers don't know what was and was not an emergency and just automatically bill anyone not registered at that hospital under the universal scheme).

If a private hospital he would be liable unless it was a life and death emergency and impossible to transfer him to government hospital in which case the first 78 hours should be free but almost always needs intervention from NHSO to enforce that.

Easily 95% of these sort of questions turn out to reflect and attempt to get money for the foreign friend and often over something that did nto actually occur.

Have you actually seen this bill?

I haven't seen the bill but I will ask for it ans if possible post it ...its obviously going to be in thai so it could say anything and I wouldn't be able to read it . Yes this is an attempt to squeeze money from a " foreign friend " bit the accident actually did happen . 

It involved a motor cycle who was run over by a car who in turn was hit from behind by another car .... turns out all involved were drunk .... amazing I know ., ive seen photos of the injured person who apparently has been hit with a 60,000 baht hospital  bill . He was in hospital for a few months and almost lost a leg . He's been out a few weeks now and it seems just now he's received a bill from the hospital and unable to pay . His daughter (friends girlfriend) has asked my friend to pay the bill , ive informed him that I think the treatment for a thai national was free and its a scam to squeeze money from him . I will try to get the bill and hopefully someone can translate to see if it is actually legitimate . Thanks everyone for your advise and thoughts .

14 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Correct but not sure it applies when drunk??????? 

That sounds right.

I only know about the 30,000 baht, because the wife's neice riding pillion, holding a 6-month old baby got knocked off last week, so we were discussing it. Baby and husband okay, but niece damaged her knee. As she is registered to another province the quotes were 100,000 baht from two hospitals to fix the knee. At fault rider has no tax or insurance and no money.

So the solution is use up what remains of the 30,000 baht for a plaster cast and transfer her residence details to Bangkok so she can get free medical treatment for the rest of the treatment. It is now too late to do the operation, so she will have to hope the plaster cast allows it to heal.

They will have to pay for the damaged bike themselves as bikes are not routinely insured.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

I haven't seen the bill but I will ask for it ans if possible post it ...its obviously going to be in thai so it could say anything and I wouldn't be able to read it . Yes this is an attempt to squeeze money from a " foreign friend " bit the accident actually did happen . 

It involved a motor cycle who was run over by a car who in turn was hit from behind by another car .... turns out all involved were drunk .... amazing I know ., ive seen photos of the injured person who apparently has been hit with a 60,000 baht hospital  bill . He was in hospital for a few months and almost lost a leg . He's been out a few weeks now and it seems just now he's received a bill from the hospital and unable to pay . His daughter (friends girlfriend) has asked my friend to pay the bill , ive informed him that I think the treatment for a thai national was free and its a scam to squeeze money from him . I will try to get the bill and hopefully someone can translate to see if it is actually legitimate . Thanks everyone for your advise and thoughts .

A car driver should have the third party insurance, so I think you should find out if in Thailand this would cover injury to third parties, even whilst drunk.

In the event that insurance won't pay, then normally the police can broker a meeting between the parties and the at fault car driver may be required to pay himself. If the motorcycle rider was at fault then he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on and perhaps has to arrange a payment plan with the hospital.

Often Thai families will pass the hat around when something like this happens and all the brothers and sisters chip in so it shouldn't really be up to your friend to pay all.

50 minutes ago, markeewan said:

That sounds right.

I only know about the 30,000 baht, because the wife's neice riding pillion, holding a 6-month old baby got knocked off last week, so we were discussing it. Baby and husband okay, but niece damaged her knee. As she is registered to another province the quotes were 100,000 baht from two hospitals to fix the knee. At fault rider has no tax or insurance and no money.

So the solution is use up what remains of the 30,000 baht for a plaster cast and transfer her residence details to Bangkok so she can get free medical treatment for the rest of the treatment. It is now too late to do the operation, so she will have to hope the plaster cast allows it to heal.

They will have to pay for the damaged bike themselves as bikes are not routinely insured.

Sounds serious; When i had the bone sticking outta my knee I had to pay approx 5000Thb, reimbursed by insurance..

55 minutes ago, Macthehat said:

Ok these circumstances are a little different from what it originally sounded like.

As another vehicle was involved and hit him, that vehicle's compulosry insurance should cover it.   And the hospital, if a government hospital, should accept what the insurance pays.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Ok these circumstances are a little different from what it originally sounded like.

As another vehicle was involved and hit him, that vehicle's compulosry insurance should cover it.   And the hospital, if a government hospital, should accept what the insurance pays.

Even over the 30000Thb limit?

12 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Even over the 30000Thb limit?

That is the limit on a MC insurance not a car insurance. Cars have much higher limits.

But with all drunk drivers there may be no valid insurance.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1