Honda ADV 150 vs. Yamaha

Somnambulist

I like my Honda Click for around town but for long distance touring all over Thailand it's

not really suitable because the seat is uncomfortable and it tops out at just under 100kph. 

So I'm looking for a bike that is still great for zipping around town and squeezing between cars at

traffic lights but has a bit more speed and better suspension, stability and brakes. 

The Honda ADV 150 looks great to me but what do you think of any Yamaha bikes in the 135cc to 150cc range?

9 hours ago, papa al said:

Yamaha Exciter 150

B65K

No under-seat storage 

otherwise great.

Super value.

papa also keen on Honda CB150.

Very keen.

B95-98K.

Much better suspension, brakes,

2x bigger tank.

Best 150 out there

IpHO.

Yamaha MT 15 also good.

Edited by papa al

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

Papa, didn't they have vibration problems with those awhile back?  I seem to recall ...

Allegedly.

Couple years back,

papa met a German guy who said his vibrated badly.

The one papa rented for a week

[2018 model IpRC]

was fine.

Haven't heard any oother bad reports.

Wouldn't buy a second-hand one w/o significant test ride.

And

Edited by papa al

17 hours ago, alx123 said:

All the bikes OP mentioned are not ideal for long distance touring. 

Get at least an Xmax or a Forza if you want to stick to scooters.

Big scoots not so great "for zipping around town and squeezing between cars." ??

Edited by papa al
  • Thanks 1

papa al - True, but Pattaya is not as bad as Bangkok or even Chiang Mai, and I've become enamored with the 300s. 

I've got time to rent one or both before I make up my mind.  For comfort for both me and my gf on pillion the Forza sounds

so good... And the storage space - two full-sized helmets under the seat. 

• Like 1

If you aim a bit higher, there is possible to get honda cb500x 2017 now with less than 20k on the odometer. Would not think twice if I was me. I have toured with pcx, 500x and versys 1000, no doubt the bigger the better. But I guess I would have gone for the ADV if I was aiming for country side dirt roads. If not it is just personal preferences Yamaha or Honda. Good bikes

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2020 at 4:00 PM, Somnambulist said:

alx123 - At your suggestion I have been looking at those two and I am convinced!

They look like an entirely better experience.  I took some notes.  I hope they are readable:

image.png.e7b72e87370a09b174b60adb04aef1bf.png

you can't go wrong with either.

And they're not as bad in filtering traffic as people claim them to be. 

If you're not too particular with looks, the old gen Forza is okay as well. Being sold used around 60k baht range..

Edited by alx123
  • Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 10:51 PM, alx123 said:

All the bikes OP mentioned are not ideal for long distance touring. 

Get at least an Xmax or a Forza if you want to stick to scooters.

I guess it is all about what you are used to and what you believe, but trust me, forza or any alike with a pillion, is a nightmare on long distance compare to a decent adventure bike with more power. I would say those who stick to pcx and forza or alike for long distance, are excused because of lack of experience and knownledge. I am completely aware of it is possible to do long distances, I have done it myself, but I know the difference when it comes to a decent touring adventure bike and a scooter, but as said, if you do not know any better, or have not experienced any better, then go ahead, and buy a scooter. But for safety and your pillion, think twice, and listening to more experienced drivers ????

• Like 2

Just now, Tagged said:

I guess it is all about what you are used to and what you believe, but trust me, forza or any alike with a pillion, is a nightmare on long distance compare to a decent adventure bike with more power. I would say those who stick to pcx and forza or alike for long distance, are excused because of lack of experience and knownledge. I am completely aware of it is possible to do long distances, I have done it myself, but I know the difference when it comes to a decent touring adventure bike and a scooter, but as said, if you do not know any better, or have not experienced any better, then go ahead, and buy a scooter. But for safety and your pillion, think twice, and listening to more experienced drivers ????

It is a compromise because the OP is going to use it in town as well. 

• Like 1

alx123 - What do you mean about the pillion?  It looks very comfy on the Forza.  Do you mean because of the inferior scooter suspension?  That's a compromise I'm willing to make because I'll be riding it more in town than touring, and when touring I'll most likely be riding solo.  With a pillion just daytrips and around town.

Have you ridden any of the newer 300cc+ scooters?  They've come a long way.  Mind you, I am ignorant of most motorcycle facets; my only real motorcycle experience was riding 125cc Honda Wings back in the late 80s lol.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

alx123 - What do you mean about the pillion?  It looks very comfy on the Forza.  Do you mean because of the inferior scooter suspension?  That's a compromise I'm willing to make because I'll be riding it more in town than touring, and when touring I'll most likely be riding solo.  With a pillion just daytrips and around town.

Have you ridden any of the newer 300cc+ scooters?  They've come a long way.  Mind you, I am ignorant of most motorcycle facets; my only real motorcycle experience was riding 125cc Honda Wings back in the late 80s lol.  

If you not bringing a pillion on a long trip, then you can buy anything you like. For me it is just for the safety having more power, and keeping the traffic behind me, instead of being overtaken all the time. Especially overtaken in places and situations you getting trapped, with no way out. 

I would deff gone for a ADV type if doing mix driving, and easier to take off sideboxes and still have top box when driving in BKK for instance. 

Im sure you will later after a few long trips and experience, will add a new bike more suitable for the purpose, but it is a good start ???? 

• Like 1

Tagged - I'm sure you're right but I'm not sure how serious I want to get about touring.  I'm 60 and am not a good rider.  I have great road awareness but I have no feel for leaning into corners.  My sense of balance is below average.  A friend of mine went and took a big bike riding class in Chiang Mai and said it was worthwhile.  Maybe that's the next step.  

I appreciate the the knowledge you've shared.  Thumbs up.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

I didn't say anything about it, "Tagged"  did. 

For me, either an Xmax or a Forza would be fine for occasional long rides. It has just enough power for Thai roads, even with a pillion. Unless you want to climb uphills twisties, I think you'll be fine. 

Edited by alx123
  • Like 2

On 12/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, Somnambulist said:

I like my Honda Click for around town but for long distance touring all over Thailand it's

not really suitable because the seat is uncomfortable and it tops out at just under 100kph. 

So I'm looking for a bike that is still great for zipping around town and squeezing between cars at

traffic lights but has a bit more speed and better suspension, stability and brakes. 

The Honda ADV 150 looks great to me but what do you think of any Yamaha bikes in the 135cc to 150cc range?

I got Yamaha 155 Aorex I think PCX is more Comfortable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

Forza  too big for Patts , rigt now ok because Quiet but they not fit between cars 

I see hundreds of Forzas everyday filtering in BKK's traffic without any problem. But maybe Pattaya's traffic different..

44 minutes ago, alx123 said:

I see hundreds of Forzas everyday filtering in BKK's traffic without any problem. But maybe Pattaya's traffic different..

It doesnt mean it is the best option even you see them. I would rather go for an adv 750 in heavy traffic than a forza. Get 2017 fully equippet for less than 300 now, with 15000km or less

7 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

Tagged - I'm sure you're right but I'm not sure how serious I want to get about touring.  I'm 60 and am not a good rider.  I have great road awareness but I have no feel for leaning into corners.  My sense of balance is below average.  A friend of mine went and took a big bike riding class in Chiang Mai and said it was worthwhile.  Maybe that's the next step.  

I appreciate the the knowledge you've shared.  Thumbs up.  

Really, Please buy a small car, you will be much happier and safer! I have been riding big bikes in Thailand for many years and it's a dangerous place to ride.

8 hours ago, alx123 said:

It is a compromise because the OP is going to use it in town as well. 

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

X ADV - 238 kg

Forza 350 182 kg

56 kg difference - and the X is better in heavy traffic - 555

Weight have nothing to do comparing a scooter and a semi scooter. A proper cbr300f will do a better job, but it is all about personal preferences. 

He say he have no balance, but quite a few bikers I know, almost can not walk, but still driving like champs. It is just training, and also excersizing your balance. 

May I advise buying one like this? 

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.XuARP

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You should buy a scooter to suit your most frequent use. I doubt you be doing much 'serious' touring, maybe just a few over-nighters and no more than 3000 km in a day.

If that's the case than 150 cc will be fine.

• Like 2