Honda ADV 150 vs. Yamaha

Somnambulist

32 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Really, Please buy a small car, you will be much happier and safer! I have been riding big bikes in Thailand for many years and it's a dangerous place to ride.

Nah, I've been riding in Thailand, mostly in Chiang Mai with occasional runs up to Pai, for 15 years.  I have a lot of fun with it and have never had an accident.  I seldom get passed on that twisty road because I am aggressive when it's smart.  But every now and then a big bike will come along and pass me like I'm standing still.  I have a good awareness of my limits and don't do anything stupid.  I used to own a small car in Chiang Mai, and later a pickup.  I don't want either anymore.  

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, Somnambulist said:

I like my Honda Click for around town but for long distance touring all over Thailand it's

not really suitable because the seat is uncomfortable and it tops out at just under 100kph. 

So I'm looking for a bike that is still great for zipping around town and squeezing between cars at

traffic lights but has a bit more speed and better suspension, stability and brakes. 

The Honda ADV 150 looks great to me but what do you think of any Yamaha bikes in the 135cc to 150cc range?

I had a Honda Airblaid fir the first 8 years here. Traded up to the Yamaha Aerox  155. Bothe under seat storage capacity was a consideration. Happy with the Aeros now ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

The honda hands down. And by zipping around town I have a new Forza 300 that I zip around town in. Had a PCX before and I zip just as easy with the forza. As for touring the forza is twice the touring bike the ADV will be. 2 year old forzas with less than 20,000 kilometers are selling in the low 100,000s. About the same you would spend on a new ADV. I started riding with a group of scooter guys here. 4 years ago we all had 150cc bikes for our rides.  Took many long trips . But one by one we all moved up to the forza and everyone said it was the best move they could have made. Twice the comfort more storage space and the extra power makes it much much better at 90 and 100. The engine is not working hard at all. A 150cc at 90 and 100 it is at it's upper limit of the rpms. Just finished a 3,600 kilometer ride up north and had a blast. Have had my forza for 2 years now and have just over 65,000 kilometers.  Will probably get a new one after 300,000. 

Hm, that's an interesting idea, buying a used one now, and I might do that.  But more likely I'll wait till next year when bitcoin is 50,000 haha (if you know, you know).
How does your Forza handle all the storm drains and endless speed bumps on the back sois of North Pattaya compared to the ADV 150, which people say had quite a good suspension?  

On 12/4/2020 at 6:04 AM, Somnambulist said:

I like my Honda Click for around town but for long distance touring all over Thailand it's

not really suitable because the seat is uncomfortable and it tops out at just under 100kph. 

Absoultely sure that some of you (not experienced bikers) will slate me for saying this but you cannot be serious?  Long distance touring on a 150cc?  You've got to be crazy, you'll kill the bike and the trip will be a pain.

I wouldn't go any futher than 50km on anything less than 500cc - certainly not for touring.

Yes, I know people do it - I have a friend that rode from Buriram to Phuket on a Honda Wave with a sidecar fitted but that was a matter of necessity.  Ask him if he'd do it again - no way.

Remember, as you are planning long distance tours, you need to factor in the weight of your luggage.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Absoultely sure that some of you (not experienced bikers) will slate me for saying this but you cannot be serious?  Long distance touring on a 150cc?  You've got to be crazy, you'll kill the bike and the trip will be a pain.

I wouldn't go any futher than 50km on anything less than 500cc - certainly not for touring.

Yes, I know people do it - I have a friend that rode from Buriram to Phuket on a Honda Wave with a sidecar fitted but that was a matter of necessity.  Ask him if he'd do it again - no way.

Remember, as you are planning long distance tours, you need to factor in the weight of your luggage.

Nonsense.

There was a guy on the forum a few year back that rode his Wave from Pattaya to North Thailand and back, no problems.

There was another one that went all the way down to Singapore on his PCX. Okay because on going full throttle on much of the trip he had to get new piston rings fitted when he came back to Thailand, app 1500 baht for that.

Papa Al here goes all over Thailand on his CBR150.

When out and about in Thailand I see a lot of young Thais on small cc bikes riding in big groups on a touring trip.

I myself prefer extra power I must admit but I am sometimes wondering if not a 300cc scooter can do the job just fine, they can likely maintain 120km/h without damage the engine. 

I find it quite funny some spend 1 mill on a big BMW adventure bike for just touring Thailand on it and then they don't really want to go anywhere near gravel roads because they are nervous their expensive bike gets damaged, LOL

Forgot to add, been riding big bikes since I was 18 years old many many Moons ago.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Nonsense.

There was a guy on the forum a few year back that rode his Wave from Pattaya to North Thailand and back, no problems.

There was another one that went all the way down to Singapore on his PCX. Okay because on going full throttle on much of the trip he had to get new piston rings fitted when he came back to Thailand, app 1500 baht for that.

Papa Al here goes all over Thailand on his CBR150.

When out and about in Thailand I see a lot of young Thais on small cc bikes riding in big groups on a touring trip.

I myself prefer extra power I must admit but I am sometimes wondering if not a 300cc scooter can do the job just fine, they can likely maintain 120km/h without damage the engine. 

I find it quite funny some spend 1 mill on a big BMW adventure bike for just touring Thailand on it and then they don't really want to go anywhere near gravel roads because they are nervous their expensive bike gets damaged, LOL

Forgot to add, been riding big bikes since I was 18 years old many many Moons ago.

Do not need 1 mill for a touring bike, prices is quite reasonable now for used bikes. 

0DCB50C4-97C5-4867-859E-46CEFC9543F3.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

+1 for Forza if you like comfort and just want one bike to go everywhere...

Otherwise have a small scoot for the city and a big adventure / touring bike for travelling...(note; at minimum need proper boots for gear changing and foot brake, and perhaps more ...)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Nonsense.

I stand by all I said.

Yes, some do it but the facts speak for themselves, the vast majority of bikers that go touring (in Thailand and worldwide), do so on bikes over 500cc.

Remember also that the OP is talking about a bike of 150cc or under.  I cannot see any fun in riding around the mountains of Petchabun on a bike of that size for example.  Touring usually involves a few hours of mile munching to get to a particular area - I wouldn't find wobbling around in the bike lane of highway 21 for example, on a sub 150cc machine very appealing - or safe.

You mention 120kmh, a decent enough speed to get between destinations but again, the OP is talking about sub 150cc machines.  There are plenty of bikes in that bracket that won't even get to that speed and as for those that can - doing that over sustained distances will kill the bike.

There are always those that 'buck the trend' - that doesn't make it right or the bike suitable.

How long you've been biking has nothing to do with it - I've probably been riding longer than you I guess but that has nothing to do with the suitability of a bike for long distance touring.

I have a Scoopy and an ER6n - when in Thailand I often ride between Khao Yai and Korat city (100km) - the Scoopy is 110cc and will do the trip but I wouldn't dream of going on it.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I stand by all I said.

Yes, some do it but the facts speak for themselves, the vast majority of bikers that go touring (in Thailand and worldwide), do so on bikes over 500cc.

Remember also that the OP is talking about a bike of 150cc or under.  I cannot see any fun in riding around the mountains of Petchabun on a bike of that size for example.  Touring usually involves a few hours of mile munching to get to a particular area - I wouldn't find wobbling around in the bike lane of highway 21 for example, on a sub 150cc machine very appealing - or safe.

You mention 120kmh, a decent enough speed to get between destinations but again, the OP is talking about sub 150cc machines.  There are plenty of bikes in that bracket that won't even get to that speed and as for those that can - doing that over sustained distances will kill the bike.

There are always those that 'buck the trend' - that doesn't make it right or the bike suitable.

How long you've been biking has nothing to do with it - I've probably been riding longer than you I guess but that has nothing to do with the suitability of a bike for long distance touring.

I have a Scoopy and an ER6n - when in Thailand I often ride between Khao Yai and Korat city (100km) - the Scoopy is 110cc and will do the trip but I wouldn't dream of going on it.

I'm the OP.  I am NOT talking about 150cc bikes anymore.  I wrote on page 1 that I changed my mind and now intend to buy a Honda Forza 300 or 350.  From what I've read and the several videos I've watched, they are far superior to 150cc scooters. You also seem to have missed the part where I said I need the bike for around town as well.  

50 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

I'm the OP.  I am NOT talking about 150cc bikes anymore.  I wrote on page 1 that I changed my mind and now intend to buy a Honda Forza 300 or 350.  From what I've read and the several videos I've watched, they are far superior to 150cc scooters. You also seem to have missed the part where I said I need the bike for around town as well.  

Maybe for sustained dual carriage way riding, but if thats of prime importance, then a 500cc geared bike would be my weapon of choice - but nipping in and out of traffic,  nipping up to the shops and parking in the tight spaces round pattaya - The Forza would be like riding an old bath tub .... The ADV  would be far nippier and "chuckable - Standard suspension on the ADV is far far better than standard Forza suspension - Pretty important here what with the 3rd rate roads.......

ADV looks better too (IMHO) ...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, piston broke said:

Maybe for sustained dual carriage way riding, but if thats of prime importance, then a 500cc geared bike would be my weapon of choice - but nipping in and out of traffic,  nipping up to the shops and parking in the tight spaces round pattaya - The Forza would be like riding an old bath tub .... The ADV  would be far nippier and "chuckable - Standard suspension on the ADV is far far better than standard Forza suspension - Pretty important here what with the 3rd rate roads.......

ADV looks better too (IMHO) ...

I rented a Honda PCX here in Pattaya and thought it was very comfy but very boring.  I've noticed a lot of owners upgrade the shocks on the Forza.  Would that do the trick?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

You also seem to have missed the part where I said I need the bike for around town as well.  

I did, sorry.  However, I use my bike for every type of trip - except maybe the 7/11 if I'm too lazy to drag it out of the garage.  To be honest, I don't find any disadvantage, 99% of the time I can get through traffic queues along with the small bikes. Personally I find the ER6 quite a nimble bike for a 650 - but I spent 40 years on 900's and 1000's.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

I rented a Honda PCX here in Pattaya and thought it was very comfy but very boring.  I've noticed a lot of owners upgrade the shocks on the Forza.  Would that do the trick?

Ohlins make a huge difference.

Or YSS if price is important.

Beware - must "Performance" replacements mean stiffer, so important to tune the shocks and fork springs for your weight

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

Personally I find the pcx much easier to have in the city, so I prefer to have one bike for each use, but if you only going to have one bike, I can understand you will aim for a Forza, even I do not aggree that is the best choice in heavy traffic. But I can only speak for myself and my own experience. 

Rode a PCX since new in 2014. Bought a second hand Forza last year

Widest parts is the mirrors - both 85cm

So lane splitting the same with both. Tight maneuvers of course easier on PCX due to shorter length - 210 v 230 - but really, 20cm is not a huge amount

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

I did, sorry.  However, I use my bike for every type of trip - except maybe the 7/11 if I'm too lazy to drag it out of the garage.  To be honest, I don't find any disadvantage, 99% of the time I can get through traffic queues along with the small bikes. Personally I find the ER6 quite a nimble bike for a 650 - but I spent 40 years on 900's and 1000's.

Fair enough.  I did buy an old 250cc dirt bike years ago in Chiang Mai and rode that around town for a few months, not a great idea with it's knobby tires and all that gear changing in traffic gets old.  I wore out a pair of nice shoes, too, and was glad to get rid of it.  
I like to wear sandals around town so I don't want to have to shift with my left foot.  So I'm going to buy a Forza and ride it to Koh Chang (I'm in Pattaya) and maybe Hua Hin or even Surat Thani and see how it goes.  I just want to avoid having two bikes; I live in a condo and don't want two bikes sitting in the public parking area all the time.  That's just me.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Saw a guy just like you - wearing sandals. Crashed on Sukhumvit, dragged his RH foot along the pavement.

2 years later it was still healing.

This was just not necessary at all, I saw a guy just like you with big boots, big helmet and gloves, all armoured jacket and pants, went under a pick up, never got up, still horizontal as we speak....!!!! ????, We are all riders, let's  leave it at that...

7 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

I like to wear sandals around town so I don't want to have to shift with my left foot.

Now that's something I would never do.  I took my 2 piece leathers and boots over to Thailand but ditched the trousers and boots after my first trip out - I was in danger of cooking. I now use more 'normal' boots and will never ditch my armoured jacket, no matter how hot it is.  I believe the statistics show that you are more likley to have an accident close to home so those 'I was only going to 7/11 so I didn't bother' trips are the ones where you're most likely to need protection.