Frozen Turkeys

thaiden1

Not Pattaya, but here in Samui Tops have  had a freezer full of Butterball Turkeys for the last three weeks. Also seen  some of the other Christmas staples there  such as (Waitrose) mince pies, Quality Street, and chestnut stuffing and cranberry sauce.

What's going on this year? I want an uncooked turkey so that I get all the fat and juices from the meat during cooking as they make the best roast potatoes of the lot, but the only turkeys I've seen around town so far are the Butterball ready-cooked variety.

I can appreciate with the Thai authorities being worried about importing bird flu that they might insist on people only importing the ready-cooked variety, as there's no risk then, but if that's the case then surely they should be priced at the pre-bird flu levels of around 1,000 Baht for a Butterball turkey that we used to pay 4 or 5 years ago? Instead, the shops are all asking 3,000+ Baht for a 5-6 kg ready-cooked bird, and that's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

What's going on this year? I want an uncooked turkey so that I get all the fat and juices from the meat during cooking as they make the best roast potatoes of the lot, but the only turkeys I've seen around town so far are the Butterball ready-cooked variety.

I can appreciate with the Thai authorities being worried about importing bird flu that they might insist on people only importing the ready-cooked variety, as there's no risk then, but if that's the case then surely they should be priced at the pre-bird flu levels of around 1,000 Baht for a Butterball turkey that we used to pay 4 or 5 years ago? Instead, the shops are all asking 3,000+ Baht for a 5-6 kg ready-cooked bird, and that's ridiculous.

Siamburi's are selling their butterballs for 399 a kg.

3 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Siamburi's are selling their butterballs for 399 a kg.

Siamburi's sold out almost a week ago, according to their FB page.

Big C South Pattaya are sold out (I was there this morning).

Villa sold its last two yesterday.

All of them were the ready-cooked Butterball turkeys.

On another forum, a guy said that he'd been told by some of the local businessmen that all the turkeys being served in bars and restaurants this year will be the ready-cooked variety. Maybe the government really has banned the importation of uncooked turkeys this year?

After reading that news, I decided that ready-cooked is better than nothing, so I tried the Central Food Hall. They still have a dozen or so left and have reduced the prices by around 30%, so I got a 5.2 kg bird for 2,400 Baht. I can live with that, so I"m a happy camper now and Christmas dinner is sorted. Given how just about everywhere else has already sold out, these last few gobblers probably won't last long so if you want one I wouldn't leave it too late.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, bkk6060 said:

I have seen them at Villa mkt around 3,000 b.

Their website shows the 10-12 pound as in stock.

If not, I am sure you can order one.

Very expensive wherever you buy them.plus half the weight when defrosted????????

• Haha 1

On 12/5/2020 at 9:59 AM, Guderian said:

Absolutely stupid prices i for 1 won.t psy and i love turkey ????

On 12/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, Guderian said:

Siamburi's sold out almost a week ago, according to their FB page.

Big C South Pattaya are sold out (I was there this morning).

Villa sold its last two yesterday.

All of them were the ready-cooked Butterball turkeys.

On another forum, a guy said that he'd been told by some of the local businessmen that all the turkeys being served in bars and restaurants this year will be the ready-cooked variety. Maybe the government really has banned the importation of uncooked turkeys this year?

After reading that news, I decided that ready-cooked is better than nothing, so I tried the Central Food Hall. They still have a dozen or so left and have reduced the prices by around 30%, so I got a 5.2 kg bird for 2,400 Baht. I can live with that, so I"m a happy camper now and Christmas dinner is sorted. Given how just about everywhere else has already sold out, these last few gobblers probably won't last long so if you want one I wouldn't leave it too late.

I hope you do t have the same experience but we had a pre cooked Butterball last year for Christmas dinner and nobody could eat it.  Ended up tossing it out.  It tasted “odd” and was dry as sand.