No alcohol can be bought or sold online from next week

webfact

No alcohol can be bought or sold online from next week

By THE NATION

800_c240d2fe48a57e6.jpg?v=1607068776

Dr Niphon Chinanonwet

The Royal Thai Police and Public Health Ministry held a press conference on Friday to announce the enforcement of a new law that prohibits the sale or advertisement of alcoholic beverages via digital channels.

“From Monday, December 7, the sale and advertisement of alcoholic beverages online will be prohibited,” deputy police spokesman Pol Colonel Siriwat Deephor said. “Direct selling, persuading consumers, introducing products or other related services via digital channels that enable sellers to complete a sale without meeting the buyer face to face will be banned.”

This prohibition, however, does not include paying for alcoholic beverages via electronic methods at stores, restaurants or establishments that serve alcohol.

“Violators face up to six months in prison and/or Bt10,000 in fines,” Siriwat added.

Dr Niphon Chinanonwet, director of the Department of Disease Control’s Alcohol Control Committee, said these controls are being introduced because it is difficult to check if the sale of alcohol online is in compliance with legal limits, such as age, in line with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act.

“This prohibition applies to all retailers and wholesalers, regardless of the size of company,” he said. “This law is not a ploy to cut off sales channels for small businesses as some say.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399106

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-04

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Most annoying rule as I often would been tempted ordering a bottle of wine with the food. Specially since COVID. I do not understand what the problem is. In terms of alcohol abuse the chance is small he/she orders online in the first place.

I read that in Thailand you do not only need to have this alcohol selling license, but to move the alcohol from A to B, you need another license to transport the alcohol as well. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It's really rather simple. Whoever is buying the alcohol has to show ID online and when receiving the drinks. What that person can to do with the alcohol would be no different to what a person instore could do with it after they buy theirs. 

Simpler still: set a minimum price (perhaps per ml alcohol) for alcoholic drinks sold online that excludes the cheaper drinks younger drinkers are likely to want.

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

{snipped}

I read that in Thailand you do not only need to have this alcohol selling license, but to move the alcohol from A to B, you need another license to transport the alcohol as well. 

I thought that was only to transport it between provinces, but I could be wrong.

I wonder if this law could be a way to stop the girlies bar actualy triying to survive

selling lady drinks online ?

The conservative elite runing the country has always wanted to get rid of the seedy reputation

of the country and the bargirls scene, at least the most in sight and farang oriented

Covid was the perfect oportunity to close all of this, but maybe the process 

isn't fast enough and some of the gogo's and beer bars trying to make money

online and surviving this way is irritating for some of these people?

Just asking, i could be wrong

but if i am not mistaken for the exact same reason

Thailand has recently prohibed new Paypal accounts ?

Edited by kingofthemountain

9 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

I wonder if this law could be a way to stop the girlies bar actualy triying to survive

selling lady drinks online ?

The conservative elite runing the country has always wanted to get rid of the seedy reputation

of the country and the bargirls scene, at least the most in sight and farang oriented

Covid was the perfect oportunity to close all of this, but maybe the process 

isn't fast enough and some of the gogo's and beer bars trying to make money

online and surviving this way is irritating for some of these people?

Just asking, i could be wrong

but if i am not mistaken for the exact same reason

Thailand has recently prohibed new Paypal accounts ?

I wasn't aware about the banning of new Payapl accounts? What's the twisted thinking behind that one?

18 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wasn't aware about the banning of new Payapl accounts? What's the twisted thinking behind that one?

i don't know the details, i just have read something in the news few weeks ago

but Paypal is hoping coming back in Thailand next year

https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/home?locale.x=en_TH

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 minute ago, kingofthemountain said:

i don't know the details, i just have read something in the news few weeks ago

but Paypal is hoping coming back in Thailand next year

https://www.paypal.com/th/webapps/mpp/home?locale.x=en_TH

I saw that too, but didn't read it as I thought it was just marketing blurb. I've had a Paypal account for thirteen years.

I've never noticed any restrictions or changes having appeared on the account?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I saw that too, but didn't read it as I thought it was just marketing blurb. I've had a Paypal account for thirteen years.

I've never noticed any restrictions or changes having appeared on the account?

From what i remember from my reading it was only

for the new accounts, and it was just after all the girls and bars

moving on internet to beg for money using paypal accounts

maybe just a pure coincidence