No alcohol can be bought or sold online from next week

webfact

As an "end user" of beer, and not a wine drinker, this won't directly affect me. 

But. 

It affects the bars & restaurants I drink in.  Many order their stocks online, it's simpler and saves confusion on phone calls.  Especially if the fallang ordering isn't a fluent Thai speaker, or if the Thai on the other end isn't experienced in using his brain.  I would imagine that POS systems are set to re-order automatically as well.

IMO, this won't bother those it's intended to stop, it just puts another obstacle in the path of legitimate businesses.

Just more bureaucracy, made with good intent, but pointless and not fully thought out.  As an ex-civil servant, I saw many of these ideas in the UK; where the end result was set and, even though the steps to get there turned out to be non-workable, a change was pushed through because some senior idiot had hung their hat on it.

• Like 2

Well, they just did it again .......

“Direct selling, persuading consumers, introducing products or other related services via digital channels that enable sellers to complete a sale without meeting the buyer face to face will be banned.”

I take it, that the workers union of "beer cheer girls" in their tight outfits must have complained. So we all can go back now to the beer gardens, where maidens in lovely outfits, green, blue, brown or red - depending on the colour of the branded product is - will make sure, that the seller meets the buyer = hence legal and all OK! 

You cannot make such stuff up - welcome to the Land of funny rules by police and health ministry ???? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

without meeting the buyer face to face

So that means we can't even use last century technology of ordering by phone. I wonder how companies such as Wishbeer will survive, then. With its ban on vaping, shisha pipes, playing Bridge, playing darts without a licence (there isn't one) and even the arcade crane games where you try to win a stuffed toy, is there anything that isn't banned in Thailand?

22 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

So that means we can't even use last century technology of ordering by phone. I wonder how companies such as Wishbeer will survive, then. 

You can order by phone. This morning one of Bangkok's big wine companies put up their new system of purchases and phone is included as is emailing a spreadsheet. 

Just goes to show how out of tune with everything Thai institutions are.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, TSF said:

Keep this up and we may as well move to Muslim Malaysia and enjoy some freedoms.

yes indeed, and get alcohol on-line (quote):-

Buying liquor online in Malaysia gives you access to an extensive selection of wines and alcoholic beverages. It's worth noting that physical liquor stores often have limited space to display all their offerings. By taking it online, platforms such as SoTipsy provide an incredible selection of premium and unique label.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not sure. I worry about Health & Safety in case a cartwheel rolled down an incline and injured a school kid, or worse, a dog.

<For the hard-of-learning: The text above may contain traces of sarcasm>

YET another phenomenal moronic idea from the CLOWNS in charge! Maybe if these dimwits were NOT promoted via corruption & the buddy system, the STOOPID newsflashes would stop!?

Oh the drama. Five pages of Tvf netizen outrage.

From many who never buy booze online anyway but love to complain.

Very easy to get booze in Thailand, they sell it at the thousands of supermarkets, the tens of thousands 7/11s and Family Marts, in thousands of service stations, tens of thousands local shops, in thousands of bars and pubs, in thousands of restaurants, in thousands of resorts. 

Calm down. We will be ok. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's also difficult to check the age of kids buying alcohol in small shops out of town, when making money is involved.

I assume they will all be shut down nationwide next month then?

My wife's grandson buys cigarettes for her all the time used to buy beer for me and he's only 15. Small rural village 

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, they just did it again .......

“Direct selling, persuading consumers, introducing products or other related services via digital channels that enable sellers to complete a sale without meeting the buyer face to face will be banned.”

I take it, that the workers union of "beer cheer girls" in their tight outfits must have complained. So we all can go back now to the beer gardens, where maidens in lovely outfits, green, blue, brown or red - depending on the colour of the branded product is - will make sure, that the seller meets the buyer = hence legal and all OK! 

You cannot make such stuff up - welcome to the Land of funny rules by police and health ministry ???? 

I thought they had banned those already 

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

I clean shave my bits so they are nice and tidy for the mug shot should I ever be arrested for going commando.

Still waiting for a check point to check and make sure people are wearing underwear 

• Haha 1

Let me get this right.....................my usual wine importer sends me a list of wines they have and I order them, and have them delivered by one of their reps (face to face).

Is this no longer allowed?????? 

A great way to put the small/mid sized companies and their staff out of business/work if what this thread says is true. You couldn't make this stuff up.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police and Public Health Ministry held a press conference on Friday to announce the enforcement of a new law that prohibits the sale or advertisement of alcoholic beverages via digital channels.

Another step back from the modern era... 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

Oh the drama. Five pages of Tvf netizen outrage.

From many who never buy booze online anyway but love to complain.

Very easy to get booze in Thailand, they sell it at the thousands of supermarkets, the tens of thousands 7/11s and Family Marts, in thousands of service stations, tens of thousands local shops, in thousands of bars and pubs, in thousands of restaurants, in thousands of resorts. 

Calm down. We will be ok. 

What is exactly the real purpose of this law then ?