Buying flour in CM to make spaghetti at home

scorecard

Is YOK on the superhighway the best place in CM to buy flour to make pasta at home?

Any better vendors to recommend in CM?

Flour brand/type recommendations appreciated.

Suggested additives to improve taste?

Is added egg powder worthwhile for better taste? 

Thanks

Edited by scorecard

39 minutes ago, onebir said:

If you're feeling lazy Lazada has spaghetti & some Chinese wheat flour noodles that look like they might be 'close enough'.

Oldest Thai granddaughter, 16, is an adventurous cook, whole family love spaghetti/all Italian food, I bought her a small hand operated pasta machine, to be handed over Christmas morning. Now doing some research where to take her to buy flour etc.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Oldest Thai granddaughter, 16, is an adventurous cook, whole family love spaghetti/all Italian food, I bought her a small hand operated pasta machine, to be handed over Christmas morning. Now doing some research where to take her to buy flour etc.  

Oh, should be fun for her, good for you (all)!

Is it easy to get tomato puree?

45 minutes ago, onebir said:

Oh, should be fun for her, good for you (all)!

Is it easy to get tomato puree?

She already makes pizza at home regularly, whole family are her kitchen staff, using pizza bases and canned pizza sauce from Rimping. Always delicious. But has been talking about making the bases at home.

Also accomplished at cake, cupcake, muffin, brownie baking, takes orders 4 or 5 times a year for family birthday cakes 200Baht each. Her 2 younger siblings ask me for 200Baht to pay for their birthday cake then pay big sister who then gives 100Baht back to me. 

Also makes great pancakes using her flat no sides thick pancake skillet (checking the price of Maple syrup is standard on every visit to supermarkets).

She saw the small hand operated spaghetti machines on the internet and suggested same for her Christmas gift. I don't want to buy the flour and give it to her. When the machine gets handed over she will automatically search for details about flour then I'll take her to Yok. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

scorecard - You must be Proud. Sounds like a great girl !

Sure, very proud of my son who has a good professional career, and his nice wife (same profession) and their 3 kids, all have good interests, all love sport, all are accomplished in swimming, whole family speaks good to advanced English, 3 kids also learning Chinese, son and his wife devoted to their kids. Good picture.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

She already makes pizza at home regularly, whole family are her kitchen staff, using pizza bases and canned pizza sauce from Rimping. Always delicious. But has been talking about making the bases at home.

Also accomplished at cake, cupcake, muffin, brownie baking, takes orders 4 or 5 times a year for family birthday cakes 200Baht each. Her 2 younger siblings ask me for 200Baht to pay for their birthday cake then pay big sister who then gives 100Baht back to me. 

Also makes great pancakes using her flat no sides thick pancake skillet (checking the price of Maple syrup is standard on every visit to supermarkets).

She saw the small hand operated spaghetti machines on the internet and suggested same for her Christmas gift. I don't want to buy the flour and give it to her. When the machine gets handed over she will automatically search for details about flour then I'll take her to Yok. 

FYI - we went the canned sauce at Rim Ping route for awhile.....Italian is a fave in our house too.....

I found that this pizza sauce from Makro (65B).....Is good & has a robust flavor versus the RP canned  =  blah....Quantity wise it goes a lot further + my wife likes to keep it in a squeeze bottle for general food prep/use....It's pretty much knocked Catsup/Ketchup right out of the house....

They have 2 or 3 different for pizza available, as well as other sauces - chili, etc....

Congrats on your budding entrepreneur; our oldest is like that - our youngest revels in being useless and completely intractable.....

IMG20201204192441.jpg

Edited by pgrahmm

7 hours ago, ProbPossConf said:

A future Master Chef...lucky you having someone who is eager to cook.

Well we have several:

- My son (only child) is a good cook, both Thai and western. His Thai mother (my wife sadly passed on, she was a dr. of medicine) encouraged him to be a life time learner, and to always help with everything, he cooks a mean steak.

- Son's wife struggles to make toast but always keen to help, and she's a great lady.

- Eldest granddaughter - the budding chef.

- Second granddaughter - always wants to be involved, her favorite at the moment is making cupcakes which she does quite well. When her father or I cook she's in charge of preparing vegetables and laying out everything on the cooktop counter then putting the bowls for the cooked veg etc., on the cooktop. Also loves to lay the table.

- Third granddaughter helps prepare veg/lay the table etc., and every morning puts the coffee mugs near the small steam coffee machine  also the milk. And she puts the bread, margarine and vegemite in front of me at breakfast time. Second granddaughter makes the toast. All the family love vegemite. 

All three girls are in charge of getting the small bowls of pizza toppings ready for 'pizza night' and the cheese. Eldest is the supervisor.  

Luckily we've got a fairly large western style kitchen.

- Son's work buddy and his wife come to the house often, she's a good seafood cook. If they are coming my son buys fish, prawns etc., and she teaches my granddaughters how to cook them. 

-Until 6 months ago son's MIL (wonderful old lady, now passed on) often came from her home town for a few days. On the day she traveled she would call my eldest granddaughter and ask her to make 'farang spaghetti'. 

My son insists that the whole family sit and eat together for dinner and the other meals if possible (this comes from both his mother and me). (My wife did her last year of high school, her medical degree and her medical specialty in Australia all on scholarships, and stayed for all that time with one host family. That's why of course he spoke excellent English. When our son was growing up if he spoke to his mother in Thai she would nicely respond 'mummy can't speak Thai, please speak English' He knew of course that she could speak Thai and he knew she was pushing his English development. My wife fell in love with the typical Australian way of life, the egalitarian values, everybody taks, no class break down of society, etc.)

My son now does the same with his three daughters, he encourages his kids to talk and comment and discuss and often  'daddy doesn't understand, please speak English' etc.

Son also insists that any food that comes in from outside must be put in serving bowls, not put on the table in plastic bags.

- When the girls were younger if other family members came to the house they would comment 'children should be quiet' etc. My son made it clear that he would involve his kids in everything. One old aunty (old dragon) would come with plastic bags of prepared food and give the bags of food to son's kids and tell them to go and watch TV and she would turn on Thai soapies (which my son will not allow his daughters to watch). Son had to great strong with her to stop her doing that. Also, she knew that TV was only allowed at certain times so she would deliberately turn on the TV at the wrong time and put on the Thai soapies. Son fixed that by hiding the remote when she was in the house.  

• Like 2

Ahh the flour days..I used to work in a bakery as a Pilot..id take one bag of flour off the truck and pilot in the corner.....job sucked but I needed the dough!....After having lost my job at the mattress factory for sleeping on the job and the gig at the Orange juice plant laid me off cos I couldnt concentrate.... ????

• Haha 2