Brexit decision time for Britain after hiccup in talks, EU says

snoop1130

12 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

but there will be an enormous economic cost to that currently estimated to be 2% of GDP according to the governments own office.

-2% is the past years, it's done already

Forecasts for the landing in a few years is either an additional -4% (deal) or -8% (no deal).

... but you know, once the UK has dropped a few more places in the ranking of nations, it will be more sovereign, you know.

enfin comme on dit "il vaut mieux un petit chez soi qu'un grand chez les autres :)"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Have you forgotten that Boris was forced by law to seek an extension

The Benn Act – or the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019 – is an Act of Parliament that provided a statutory obligation for the government to prevent a no deal Brexit on 31 October 2019 by requiring in the Prime Minister to ask for an extension of Article 50. The only way this could be avoided was the House of Commons approving a motion on a withdrawal agreement agreed with the EU by 19 October 2019.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/the-facts/what-was-the-benn-act/

Have you forgotten Johnson's illegal prorogation of Parliament in an effort to, among other matters such as discussion of his proposed agreement, prevent that Bill being passed?

The Act did not prevent Johnson from leaving without a deal. It prevented him from so doing without Parliament's approval. He never asked Parliament, though. Instead he asked the EU for an extension with his three letter trick.

Article 50 extension: was Johnson’s “three letters” trick unlawful?

Of the two pages of fluff that comprise that final letter, it is really one sentence that matters. “While it is open to the European Council to accede to the request mandated by parliament or to offer an alternative extension period, I have made clear since becoming prime minister, and made clear to parliament again today, my view, and the government’s position, that a further extension would damage the interests of the UK and our EU partners, and the relationship between us.” Was that unlawful?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

It may have escaped your notice that the the "anti-trade EU" has in place the largest trade network in the world, with 45 applied trade agreements covering 77 partner countries, and several others are under negotiation. ????

So lets have one of those then. We don't need to be part of a club where we have very  little in common with at least 23 of them. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Confused 1

Last hours.. 

From this article, fishing is not the dealbreaker but LPF.

The Brits want to access our market without the contraints European nations have, while the EU does not accept that and wants to be able to hit back as soon as the British start cheating... A thing which is, alas, very likely to happen. 

Despite the headlines, fishing is not the dealbreaker. Downing Street briefed that last-minute EU demands for a 10-year transition period for changes to fishing access for European fleet in British waters had rocked the negotiation. But the two sides have been discussing the terms of a transition period for months, and a compromise will be found.

The more significant issues lie in Barnier’s demands for provisions to ensure that Brussels can unilaterally hit back at British economic interests if the UK diverges from EU environmental, labour and social standards. It is a matter of principle to the government that policymakers in Westminster need not be boxed into following EU standards. 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 7by7 said:

I think even Johnson knows that.

But the rabid anti EU ERG don't care about what's best for the UK; and they are on his back. He needs them to maintain his majority and hang onto his job.

Errr..no he doesn't need the ERG to maintain his majority. Did you miss the 2019 general election? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

Errr..no he doesn't need the ERG to maintain his majority. Did you miss the 2019 general election? 

Good point 

We know even if BJ and UVDL determine a deal, in the next few hours, it won't be easy to pass the European parliament and the veto of each of the 27.

But is Boris Johnson able to have whatever deal ratified in the UK parliament? He has a big 80 majority which will hold? Remember Theresa May and her deadlocked parliament with no majority without the DUP

Could it happen all over again if the deal is too "hard to swallow" for the Brexiteers? How big is the ERG now? 

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hi from France said:

Last hours.. 

From this article, fishing is not the dealbreaker but LPF.

The Brits want to access our market without the contraints European nations have, while the EU does not accept that and wants to be able to hit back as soon as the British start cheating... A thing which is, alas, very likely to happen. 

This article says different

EU Brexit negotiator, Michel Barnier, this week “wasn’t worried about anything else but fish”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-france-exclusive/exclusive-macron-lays-ground-for-netting-brexit-compromise-on-fisheries-idUSKBN2781P3

10 years unfetted access to British waters is never going to fly

if fishing isn't the deal breaker agree fishing terms and that just leaves LPF

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

suggest most of the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit did so to get Indians and Pakistanis sent home. That's one of the most idiotic comments I've seen on a Brexit thread. 

Being a man of the street myself, and my friends and acquaintances the same, I can guarantee that we don't have any knowledge about deep economic stuff. 

The man in the street vote with his hearth, and go with his guts, when voting he expect concrete solutions which affect him directly. 

So I honestly can not tell what are the main reasons the majority in the U.K. voted Leave. 

I am pretty sure however that a lot thought there will be changes with the presence of "refugees" "foreigners" (or whatever name) in the U.K., and that the money sent to the E.U. wil now be used to ameliorate the living conditions of the Britons. 

This may of course happen.

However 4 years after the vote, there are no concrete plans from the U.K. government about these issues. 

This may upset some of the Leave voters. 

It would upset me, if I, man of the street, voted Leave. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You're replying to somebody who said we didn't vote to leave for economic reasons - and you reply with economic arguments ????‍♂️

And then you suggest most of the 17.4 million who voted for Brexit did so to get Indians and Pakistanis sent home. That's one of the most idiotic comments I've seen on a Brexit thread. 

Maybe you should stick to commenting on less complex issues. No offence...????

The ‘economic’ based reply was merely to point out the absurdity of a vote for Brexit without considering the economic impact. 

Either my words were too big or perhaps read it a little more slowly ? 

As for complexity it’s a daily challenge dumbing down comments for Brexiteers to absorb 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Whilst some prominent members are publicly identified, Rees-Mogg and Gove for example, most are not. As an unincorporated association the group does not publish membership details. 

Why the secrecy, I wonder?

But are you seriously suggesting that their numbers and power are so limited that Boris can afford to ignore them? They did, after all, put him into the position of Prime Minister!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Good point 

We know even if BJ and UVDL determine a deal, in the next few hours, it won't be easy to pass the European parliament and the veto of each of the 27.

But is Boris Johnson able to have whatever deal ratified in the UK parliament? He has a big 80 majority which will hold? Remember Theresa May and her deadlocked parliament with no majority without the DUP

Could it happen all over again if the deal is too "hard to swallow" for the Brexiteers? How big is the ERG now? 

More whataboutery.

Could, perhaps, maybe.

Nobody has any real idea what will happen.

IMHO the country in the EU most likely to cast a veto will be your own country, France. The next country is likely to be Spain, both of whom rely on fishing quite a lot.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 6:06 PM, Sujo said:

Why would the eu care. Uk is out, how badly they are out is up to the uk. They cant be half in or out.

The eu have nothing to lose. The uk does.

The EU has a lot more to lose than the UK...do we have to keep reiterating this...figures don't lie. Where will the EU sell all the goods the UK currently buys?....The UK has the whole world to replace the piddly amount they buy from us.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bruntoid said:

The ‘economic’ based reply was merely to point out the absurdity of a vote for Brexit without considering the economic impact. 

Either my words were too big or perhaps read it a little more slowly ? 

As for complexity it’s a daily challenge dumbing down comments for Brexiteers to absorb 

You didn't point out the absurdity of a vote for Brexit without considering the economic impact. You completely contradicted yourself.

You wrote: 

"So let’s turn a blind eye to the economics of the brexit vote for a moment"

Then followed with: 

"what is it then that will generate the jobs and ultimately the taxes that run the country following the largest act of self harm any country has ever made ? "

You didn't really turn a blind eye to the economics then did you! 

And then you have the front to suggest it's Brexiters that need comments dumbed down ????‍♂️

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

We always know when you have lost an argument.

You pull out the "anti Brit" card like its some kind of joker but in reality its more of a dead rubber. 

Sometimes the truth hurts when told...Mon ami...:whistling: