'They don't need me now': COVID impact forcing Britons to food banks

snoop1130

'They don't need me now': COVID impact forcing Britons to food banks

By Natalie Thomas 3 MIN READ

download.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Cereal is pictured at The DENS charity food bank, as the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues, in Hemel Hempstead, Britain, March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Paul Childs

LONDON (Reuters) - British food banks are seeing more families needing their support as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic forces struggling people to seek help, charities and volunteers say.

Lockdowns and other measures to curb the spread of the coronavirus have forced businesses to close or lay off staff. The rise in those out of work has resulted in more people turning to food banks, which provide emergency food supplies to families in need.

“I was working part-time as a cleaner for evenings, and then when COVID started, we had to quit because everything was closed and our offices, they’re not opening until 2021 because people can work from home,” said Vilma Tunylaite, 40, queuing at a food bank in southwest London.

“And me, they don’t need me now.”

The latest official figures last month showed Britain’s unemployment rate had risen to 4.8%, with employers laying off a record number of staff in the third quarter.

The Bank of England has forecast the jobless rate would rise to nearly 8% by the middle of next year, despite the government extending an emergency jobs subsidy programme until the end of March.

The Trussell Trust, which runs more than 1,300 food bank centres across Britain, says it provided 1.2 million food parcels between April and September, with a huge rise in people needing its support for the first time.

It forecasts there will be a 61% increase in food parcels required across its network from October to December, the equivalent of six parcels given out every minute.

“If you look at what’s happened over the last seven months, the queues have got significantly longer, the nature of the guests who are queuing up ... it’s changed to families as well as those who were living on the streets,” said Alexander Shahid Khan, a banker who volunteers at a food bank in London.

“So you can definitely see that the effects of COVID has meant there’s a lot of people suffering from income and food poverty at the moment.”

A government spokeswoman said they had announced a 400 million pound support package to help those in need for the winter and beyond, including millions for food aid charities.

“The ideal would be for the government obviously to up everybody’s payment that they get every week to a reasonable amount where they don’t have to then seek help from food banks,” said Sahar Beg, chief executive of the Tooting Community Kitchen.

“I can’t make a difference there. The only thing I can do is being here to help where we can.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-04

9 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

its likely the parents are hard drinking, smoking and covered in tattoos as shown on tv progs dealing with this poverty stricken class of people with starving kids at food banks .their UC cash is fritered away on non essential items

you forgot overweight and gambling.

I am fairly confident none of these people will starve to death in the UK.
People in other countries are doing it much harder economically ironically because many in the UK and some other countries refused to wear a mask, socially distance etc which has resulted in this preventable out of control second wave and continues to destroy the worldwide economy.

Harping on about their “human rights”. They can’t see past their own nose. 

60,000+ in the UK are dead already though from the virus. I think that is a more important issue. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Many people were relying on foodbanks even before Covid arrived, including working people who are struggling. Not really any point trying to discuss with the boozing-and-smoking-it-all-away crowd. A lot of football supporters groups are now running foodbanks because of the hardship in their local areas. As said though, this was going on long before Covid. On Merseyside for example, blues and reds have been together on this for several years with strong support from both football clubs as well, and they've helped many other supporters groups launch their own initiatives.

https://twitter.com/SFoodbanks

https://www.facebook.com/FansSupportingFooddbanks

All good and true. However there are those, others have posted about, who are complete wasters and have no interest in actually cooking a real meal for their kids instead of complaining that their handouts from the government aren't enough to cover the cost of home delivery  junk food every night and lunchtime to feed the kids. No thought that the handout isn't really meant to cover drinks in the pub etc.

Always two sides to a coin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Funny post.

It must be terrible having to discuss something with another who doesn't fully agree with your views.

Lots of people got off their I am Not entitled backsides and did something useful for themselves and others. Lots of others remained sitting on their fat I AM entitled backsides and complained their free handouts were not enough.

Signed

An old but not too grumpy non barstool sitting, well maybe once a month for a couple of beers, happy in retirement ( with all his hair ) expat. ????????

If you want to talk about entitlement, let’s by all means do so, but let’s talk about all those who are ‘entitled’ including the wealthy, people who get access to opportunity on the basis of the school they attended, their name or their title.

Or are you only interested in pointing a finger at the poor?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

Funny post.

It must be terrible having to discuss something with another who doesn't fully agree with your views.

Lots of people got off their I am Not entitled backsides and did something useful for themselves and others. Lots of others remained sitting on their fat I AM entitled backsides and complained their free handouts were not enough.

Signed

An old but not too grumpy non barstool sitting, well maybe once a month for a couple of beers, happy in retirement ( with all his hair ) expat. ????????

You mean a new wig, don't you?