• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this detail is important to highlight for readers, I'm not being a pedant to annoy you. I'm a hotelier and we deal with this issue a lot. Customers often don't understand why we can't use thei

No it is not correct.  With a work permit you can get a real credit card.  Without, you can get a card but need to deposit an amount in a locked account which covers the limit on the card (you may nee

The other point to remember is just because one says no, it doesnt follow they all will. You will need to shop around, even within branches of the same Bank.   Also, dont forget if you have

Posted Images

I have a credit card form KrungSri. I understand a lot of foreigners use Kasikorn but I have accounts with SCB and the aforementioned. Foreigners CAN get credit cards, either based on income, or, as stated above, secured with money on deposit. The way it works is if, for example, you want a 90,000 Baht credit line, the bank lock 100,000 Baht of your money on deposit. Or, you can just apply for a normal credit line backed by your income. In either case, the credit card builds your credit history with the reference agency.

A lot of nonsense bandied around on this topic. The plomplem is you walk into a branch and ask about credit cards, or secured credit cards, and you're met with the boiler plate "foreigner no can have", or "Thailand mai mee kaa".

Obviously, the banks are going to be choosy, like anywhere else.

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

The other point to remember is just because one says no, it doesnt follow they all will. You will need to shop around, even within branches of the same Bank.

Also, dont forget if you have a K-Bank and need the card for online purposes you have the "Virtual card" available to you.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, masterpasser said:

I have a bank account at K-Bank with not an insignificant amount deposited  and need the convenience of a credit card.

A pal of mine told me foreigners cannot get credit cards in Thailand.

Is this correct?

Thank you

Not correct. Many foreigners have credit cards in Thailand. It just requires work permit for a couple of years, working at a reliable company and showing the deposits from salary into bank account for past 6 months, employment letter and such... all same as for Thais, except salary requirement is higher.

Generally it's about the risk of foreigner running away without paying bills, so first card can be a challenge unless you have some other loan like for a car or condo or alike, to show credit history. But if you have good credit rating, your chances of getting a card (if you meet other criteria, mostly dictated by Bank of Thailand), will be more or less the same as for a Thai national.

Bangkok Bank offers special credit card for foreigners, which basically forces you to put money into account and then that's used as a guarantee to pay the bills. They apparently have lower requirements than other banks.

SCB preferred that salary was paid into SCB savings account.

You could also try more foreigner-friendly banks like Citibank or American Express or Krungsri (who took over HSBC retail banking).

Never applied Kasikorn so can't comment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, masterpasser said:

I have a bank account at K-Bank with not an insignificant amount deposited  and need the convenience of a credit card.

A pal of mine told me foreigners cannot get credit cards in Thailand.

Is this correct?

Thank you

I have had a K-Bank account for many years and have always had an ATM card that doubles as a Master Card Debit card. I have never asked for a credit card however, with the debit card you can charge anything, at any place that has a credit card machine. only difference is the money is direct debited from your account. 

I have also  held an AMEX credit card for the last 20 years. Sorry but I can't recall the exact qualification process but also don't recall any stress in getting the card, complete with a subsidiary card for the Mrs.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Catkiwi said:

I have never asked for a credit card however, with the debit card you can charge anything, at any place that has a credit card machine.

Unfortunately this is not true. There are times when only a real credit card is acceptable. For example, securing a reservation at a hotel. A debit card will never be accepted. Also, the digits on a credit card are raised, so an old fashioned knuckle chop machine can be used to take an imprint in the absence of electronic communications (such as on flights with no internet when you pay for duty free). Debit card digits are flat i.e. 'electronic use only'.

Credit cards are a must have in a number of situations.

Edited by NilSS
  • Thanks 2

I said at any place with a machine, not on line. Of course credit cards are necessary but I was just offering an experience with an alternative. Thanks for your input.

I beg to differ but not willing to carry on. Bottom line is, that it is possible for a foreigner to get a credit card in Thailand. As discussed several options can be followed.

14 hours ago, NilSS said:

I think this detail is important to highlight for readers, I'm not being a pedant to annoy you. I'm a hotelier and we deal with this issue a lot. Customers often don't understand why we can't use their debit card and it can cause friction. It's just a misunderstanding about the fundamental differences in the way the two payment methods work. Hotels, car rental agencies etc etc need to put a hold on funds, which they are unable to do with debit cards. So, if you trash the room, empty the minibar, eat steak in the restaurant every night and then leave without paying, the hotel has some recourse.

That explains a lot.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I am retired and I have had two Citibank Credit cards for the last 26 years. Also had HSBC credit card, until they stopped entertaining private accounts due to AMLO paperwork. In the early days there was an insurance fee in case I failed to pay the monthly balance but after 26 years they do not require any bond as per Bangkok Bank. I do not have a Citibank Account only their credit cards which I always pay on time. Their decision is always according to your tracked history. A first time customer has to earn a reputation as a good risk, then no problem. For Bangkok Bank you usually need a letter from your employer, if you have one, and your salary paid into your account.