Complex Question - Big mistake at immigration

I currently have a valid non O based on marriage from Savannakhet. Expires 17 Feb. I managed to get an extension to stay base on marriage earlier than usually permitted muti entry from Chonburi. When I left Thailand I did not get a re-entry stamp. Obviously that Extension is now not valid. If I come back from work early before 17 Feb can I still use the non O based on marriage from Savannaket to enter Thailand?  What an idiot I am.

11 hours ago, baneko said:

I currently have a valid non O based on marriage from Savannakhet. Expires 17 Feb. I managed to get an extension to stay base on marriage earlier than usually permitted muti entry from Chonburi. When I left Thailand I did not get a re-entry stamp. Obviously that Extension is now not valid. If I come back from work early before 17 Feb can I still use the non O based on marriage from Savannaket to enter Thailand?  What an idiot I am.

ubonjoe said

"He does not need a re-entry permit since he has a valid multiple entry non-o visa."

When I read the OP I am not sure what Visa he actually has. Based on what ubonjoe says it must a standard multi entry visa which I always assumed you could use to come and go as often as you liked within the valid time frame of the Visa.

I have a non O based on marriage but it is not a "multi entry" and I need to get a re-entry permit if I leave and want to come back.

However I did one time forget to get a re-entry permit so what I did was re-enter on a 30 visa exempt permit and then went to Immigration office here and applied and was granted a 60 day extension. I then immediately applied for a new Non O based on marriage which was granted and which I have extended each year from then on. Because I had been in and out of Thailand for years and had non O visa's before I always kept 400,000 in my Thai bank account so maturity the money was not a issue.

4 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

I have a non O based on marriage but it is not a "multi entry" and I need to get a re-entry permit if I leave and want to come back.

You are on a one year extension of stay not a visa which requires a re-entry permit to keep it valid when you enter the country. Your visa has not been valid for a long time.

A visa such as a Non O visa based on marriage, or a Non O-A retirement visa, is an entirely separate thing from a reentry permit.

If you leave while your visa is valid but do not get a reentry permit before leaving your current visa becomes invalid and you must get a new visa before returning or get a visa on arrival.  You have just thrown away your current visa and any time remaining on it.

If you want to leave while holding a valid visa then return on the same visa you must get the separate reentry permit in Thailand before you leave.  You can do this at any time while in Thailand as long as you hold a valid visa.  If you have plans to make one exit, or more than one exit, and return on your current visa you normally would get the single reentry or multi-reentry permit immediately after receiving your visa, but you can get either of these at any time afterward as long as your visa is valid and you are still in Thailand.

26 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

If you leave while your visa is valid but do not get a reentry permit before leaving your current visa becomes invalid and you must get a new visa before returning or get a visa on arrival

No, not really correct. Re-entry permits have no impact on 'Visas', they are issued in conjunction with a Permission of Stay, or an Extension of a Permission of Stay. 

Visas expire rather than become invalid.  They have a limited life and cannot be extended....

17 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

A visa such as a Non O visa based on marriage, or a Non O-A retirement visa, is an entirely separate thing from a reentry permit.

If you leave while your visa is valid but do not get a reentry permit before leaving your current visa becomes invalid and you must get a new visa before returning or get a visa on arrival.  You have just thrown away your current visa and any time remaining on it.

If you want to leave while holding a valid visa then return on the same visa you must get the separate reentry permit in Thailand before you leave.  You can do this at any time while in Thailand as long as you hold a valid visa.  If you have plans to make one exit, or more than one exit, and return on your current visa you normally would get the single reentry or multi-reentry permit immediately after receiving your visa, but you can get either of these at any time afterward as long as your visa is valid and you are still in Thailand.

Some VISA are MultipleEntry, and when you have such a MultipleEntry Visa, you can re-enter Thailand without the need for a ReEntryPermit as you will be stamped in for the remainder of the time that valid MultipleEntry Visa entitles you to.

The two most common MultipleEntry Visa are

1 - the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O-A Visa, which can only be applied for in your home-country or country of permanent legal residence, and that Visa will allow multiple-entries during the 1-year Visa validity period, and each time you enter Thailand during that period you will be stamped in for the full year that Visa entitles you to (capped with the expiry date of the mandatory health-insurance that you need with that Visa)

2 - the 1-year MulitpleEntry Non Imm O Visa, which can be applied for at some Thai Embassies/Consulates (e.g. the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet), and also that Visa will allow multiple-entries during its 1-year Visa validity period.  Contrary to the Non Imm O-A Visa on entry you will only be stamped in for a 90-days permission to stay, after which you either have to exit Thailand or apply for an in-country extension of stay (e.g. the 60 day extension for reason of visiting your wife/thai child).  Doing border-runs on that Visa (same day exit/re-enter) does not require a ReEntry Permit as long as the Visa validity has not expired.

There are 2 Non-Imm "O" Visa's

Visa 1: Is the 90 day Non-Imm "O" Visa which is a single entry visa that you must get an extension to stay if you want to stay longer than the 90 days and the extension is based on either retirement or marriage.

Visa 2: is the Non-Imm "O" Multi Entry Visa based on married to a Thai National and this visa is a 1 year visa with only 60 day extensions.

With visa 1 you must do 90 day reports at the local immigration office but with visa 2 you must leave Thailand every 90 days and then when you return you are given a permit to stay for only another 90 days and this can be extended by 60 days for each 90 day stamp.

The OP has stated that he has a Non-Imm "O" Visa from Savannahket which is a 1 year Multi Entry Visa which he does not require a Re-Entry Permit and on each entry on this visa it is only for 90 days which he can get a 60 day extension and then he must leave Thailand and re-enter to get his next 90 day permit to stay stamp.

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Visa 2: is the Non-Imm "O" Multi Entry Visa based on married to a Thai National and this visa is a 1 year visa with only 60 day extensions.

This is wrong. It can also be extended for one year (That's what OP probably did, but he forgot to get a re entry permit before leaving and voided this extension) and it can also be obtained for retirement (not in all countries though)

If married to a Thai or having Thai children it's possible to apply for a 60 day extension with any type of entry.

Please leave visa/extensions and such to UbonJoe. He always has the correct information.

He should be awarded the Visa Guru Award 2020.

Or at least VAPOTY. Visa Advice Poster Of The Year. 

Too many cooks do not necessarily make the best food.  

37 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Please leave visa/extensions and such to UbonJoe. He always has the correct information.

He should be awarded the Visa Guru Award 2020.

In my opinion, he does not need an award - HE IS THE VISA GURU PER SE! ????

I think some clarification is required .

The op says he has a “valid non O visa “but in the next sentence says he “ managed to get an extension of stay “. ??

So, as they say “ a picture paints a thousand words “, if the op posted a photo of his “ valid “ O visa ( with personal details blanked out ) then relevant advice can be offered.

15 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

That is not what he said.  Please re-read his comment.  He failed to get a multi-entry permit, therefore when he leaves Thailand, it expires.

YOU are wrong. He have a valid VISA up,,, to was it february 2021?? It is still valid...  What you miss is, that his extension of stay was cancelled when he left Thailand without a re entry permit.

glegolo

18 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I think some clarification is required .

The op says he has a “valid non O visa “but in the next sentence says he “ managed to get an extension of stay “. ??

So, as they say “ a picture paints a thousand words “, if the op posted a photo of his “ valid “ O visa ( with personal details blanked out ) then relevant advice can be offered.

I think the OP has done the same as I did, got an extension half way through a one year ME non O . Not something that would normally be done and thus causing confusion.

My take is the OP is not sure if he can still use the visa as he failed to get a re entry permit for the extension.

Personally I don't see why getting an extension would invalidate the remaining time on the visa but under the current circumstances it is anyone's guess what view the Thai embassy would take.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, yeahbutif said:

But he did not get re entry stamp. So  buggerd.i would say ,

sorry confuseing the two types ,,  

Type one 

The 1-Year Multiple-Entry visa ............. Thai visa is issued to foreigners who wish to obtain a long term visa stay to Thailand. The issuance of this visa mainly depends on the purpose of the application. This type of visa is valid for use within one year from the date of issue and can be extended to 3 months on or before the visa expiration date.

However, this type of visa requires the visa holders to exit and re-enter Thailand every 90 days by air, sea, or land travel. 

But is this still called a non immigrant O visa but (Mulitble)???????

Type two

What is a non immigrant O visa.........This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited., if leave need re-entry permits 

11 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

But is this still called a non immigrant O visa but (Mulitble)???????

A non-o visa can be issued as a single or multiple entry visa. A multiple entry visa allows unlimited 90 day entries for a year from the date of issue.

11 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

What is a non immigrant O visa.........This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 1 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 1 year. Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited., if leave need re-entry permits 

That is Non-OA visa issued by an embassy or official consulate in your home country or country of legal residence. It allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:47 PM, HarrySeaman said:

Visas and extensions of stay are very different.

NB

Extension of stay doesn't have the word 'visa' in it anywhere thia means it isn't a 'visa'.

If the OP got a sticker, visa, from Sav' I am sure it wasn't an extension of stay.

On 12/5/2020 at 2:17 PM, Peter Denis said:

Some VISA are MultipleEntry, and when you have such a MultipleEntry Visa, you can re-enter Thailand without the need for a ReEntryPermit as you will be stamped in for the remainder of the time that valid MultipleEntry Visa entitles you to.

The two most common MultipleEntry Visa are

1 - the 1-year MultipleEntry Non Imm O-A Visa, which can only be applied for in your home-country or country of permanent legal residence, and that Visa will allow multiple-entries during the 1-year Visa validity period, and each time you enter Thailand during that period you will be stamped in for the full year that Visa entitles you to (capped with the expiry date of the mandatory health-insurance that you need with that Visa)

2 - the 1-year MulitpleEntry Non Imm O Visa, which can be applied for at some Thai Embassies/Consulates (e.g. the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet), and also that Visa will allow multiple-entries during its 1-year Visa validity period.  Contrary to the Non Imm O-A Visa on entry you will only be stamped in for a 90-days permission to stay, after which you either have to exit Thailand or apply for an in-country extension of stay (e.g. the 60 day extension for reason of visiting your wife/thai child).  Doing border-runs on that Visa (same day exit/re-enter) does not require a ReEntry Permit as long as the Visa validity has not expired.

You are right about Multiple Entry Visas, but that didn't sound like what the OP had so I didn't mention it but I probably should have.

Archived