Thailand’s jasmine 105 wins world’s best rice contest

rooster59

Thailand’s jasmine 105 wins world’s best rice contest

By The Nation

800_5f2a522d386b879.jpg

Thailand’s jasmine 105 has been named the world’s best-tasting rice this year at the 12th World Rice Conference, which was held online from Tuesday to Thursday.

The annual conference also includes a best-rice contest, and the 105 jasmine rice variety was added to the line-up this year by the Thai Rice Exporters Association.

The 105 variety won on all criteria, namely smell, taste, texture and shape, in a blind test conducted by the judges.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399111?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-05

• Like 1

The world's best-tasting rice this year was organized at the 12th Rice Trader World Rice Conference 2020 in the United States.

Thailand's jasmine rice 105 variety is generated from a volatile matter called 2-acetyl-1-pyroline.

However to maintain its fragrance, the rice has to be kept in cool places at around 15 degrees Celsius.

Vietnam's ST25 fragrant rice was ranked second at the 2020 World's Best Rice Contest.

• Like 1

And this was across all grain types ? As well short grain ? I doubt a Jasmine rice would win in terms of taste.

The best rice that I have ever tasted is Kokuho Rose Rice, a short grain grown in California. Beats everything I ever came across by a far margin - including short grain I have tasted in Japan. Very unfortunately I have never seen this rice in Thailand and I do not know how much it would cost to import incl. taxes etc. (available on Amazon).

I always thought rice was just rice, until i married my present wife.

In our store room we have 4 different rice types, the other day i went to mill some rice, bag was sticky rice bag nearly empty, so i opened/ milled some from another bag, wife comes home..... Yak, yak, yak, why you do that she asks.

Oops silly me, i mixed jasmine rice and sticky rice together.????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, moogradod said:

And this was across all grain types ? As well short grain ? I doubt a Jasmine rice would win in terms of taste.

The best rice that I have ever tasted is Kokuho Rose Rice, a short grain grown in California. Beats everything I ever came across by a far margin - including short grain I have tasted in Japan. Very unfortunately I have never seen this rice in Thailand and I do not know how much it would cost to import incl. taxes etc. (available on Amazon).

My personal preference is India Gate basmati rice [classic long grain] best rice I've ever tasted.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My personal preference is India Gate basmati rice [classic long grain] best rice I've ever tasted.

The only way to know is to eat it. I will look for this Gate basmati rice and then try it.

I would highly recommend for everybody to do the same for Kokuho Rose Rice if you ever come across it. The reason I post such a recommendation is not to prove a point against Jasmine Rice but simply to help all readers for it has a really phantastic outstanding taste. We always have at least two kinds of rice at home: My wife favours Perfume Rice and I favour Japanese Short Grain types ("Sushi" Rice). The Kokuho might be even something like medium grain but Kokuho Rose this is the one to go for.

On 12/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, geovalin said:

The world's best-tasting rice this year was organized at the 12th Rice Trader World Rice Conference 2020 in the United States.

Thailand's jasmine rice 105 variety is generated from a volatile matter called 2-acetyl-1-pyroline.

However to maintain its fragrance, the rice has to be kept in cool places at around 15 degrees Celsius.

Vietnam's ST25 fragrant rice was ranked second at the 2020 World's Best Rice Contest.

That's only possible in winter for a few hours. 30 degrees will make it lose a lot of its taste and good smell then. 

Maybe I just have a peasant pallet, but when it comes to long grain rice (I'll exclude Basmati) it all tastes pretty much the same to me.

My wife will agonize over which one to buy, but in truth when it gets poured into our rice container I couldn't tell you one from another.

Maybe some get a little softer than others, but you just adjust the water. Maybe some are are little more starchier, you rinse it more