K-pop fans hit back at Skytrain, MRT over protest shutdown

rooster59

K-pop fans hit back at Skytrain, MRT over protest shutdown

By THE NATION

800_57f19431157ca0a.jpg

Photo credit: www.รถแห่.com

Thailand’s K-pop fan clubs have found a new vehicle to show their love for Korean superstars, in a protest against the BTS Skytrain and MRT train systems.

This week, posters of South Korean boy band BTS began appearing on tuk-tuk taxis in Bangkok, instantly grabbing the attention of social media users.

Fan clubs of Korean pop stars usually buy billboards in BTS Skytrain and MRT stations to celebrate their beloved artists or draw the attention of other fan clubs who admire the same artists.

However, after the BTS and MRT suspended services during student-led pro-democracy rallies, the fan clubs switched their promotional campaigns to tuk-tuks.

The new way of celebrating K-pop idols has caught the eye of netizens after being introduced on Tuesday (December 1). Social media users praised the idea as a creative way of helping tuk-tuk drivers at a time when tourists are scarce in Bangkok due to Covid-19.

However, others pointed out the fan clubs are mostly made up of students and working people who take the BTS or MRT, so the tuk-tuk campaign might not be so effective.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399114?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-05

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

Me too, but it seems a simple and harmless way to protest. Hopefully it will be effective.

Power to the youngsters.

I wish the switch to Korean girly groups. They definitely look a lot better than that individuum with the blue hair in the picture.

maxresdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, others pointed out the fan clubs are mostly made up of students and working people who take the BTS or MRT, so the tuk-tuk campaign might not be so effective.

The garner media attention.  The world is looking at Thailand now, as it has aligned itself with China and is run by the military.

• Haha 2

I'm currently outside Thailand and I'm just wondering if the student protests are largely along the same previously seen red vs yellow social class lines or if the protests are actually a united youth movement (including wealthy Chinese Thai types that attended international schools) versus older, more conservative Thais?

On 12/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, briansbiology said:

K-pop is so contrived it is hard to stomach. Pop, in general, is awful for this same reason but this K-pop lark is way beyond my old bald ass'es comprehension. 

Congratulations for the most old person comment of all time.