Skål Bangkok’s Wood Warns Of A Deepening Thailand Tourism Crisis

rooster59

subsequent waves of corona virus infections are a cause of serious concern, as  evidenced by such waves in hong kong, south korea, US and many european countries. a very very prudent approach is necessary in the opening up of the country to tourism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I do hope you're right. Hoping that all the budget airlines go bust too, so the vile lager louts and swarming hordes of package tourists have to holiday at home.

Ice creams on the pier at Soufend and Essex gels in the evening. Ho Ho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Ice creams on the pier at Soufend and Essex gels in the evening. Ho Ho.

I remember goin' darn Sarfend on my scooter to play at the bowling alley at the end of the pier.  Those were the good ol' days .........

Later I come to Thailand when is was beautiful. Then the mass tourists came and the back packers were no longer intelligent students on a gap year but out-and-out <deleted> artists. It never really recovered which is why it is no longer attractive to 'nice' ,people   (? like me ).

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Because he has a vested interest, as have the foreign workers at the resort I am currently staying at. They should surely be worried that their contracts will be terminated soon. The situation will surely worsen in the next few months as mass tourism is over for the foreseeable future.

I was working for Motorola in Thailand on the DTAC cellular network during 1993 until 1997. When the crash came we carried on until our contracts were due for renewal DTAC simply told Motorola that the expats individual contracts would not be renewed and when they ran out we packed our bags and left. Motorola was charging DTAC in $USD and after the crash they ran out of $ and the baht wasn't worth much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO Thailand has been living off the 90s legend, when bagpackers that came then return as flashpackers.

i wish to give this 100 thumbs up........ super sayan power level achieved.  

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Well, they say that, but they still had a Chinese Opium War style exploitative treaty situation, as well as giving away a lot of land that they captured from Laos, Cambodia, Burma and Malaysia.

It was really all down to Rama V convincing Western powers that they didn't need to colonise Siam to exploit it of its natural resources, but that he was modern/civilised/organised enough to facilitate it.

The Bowring Treaty......  It was Britain that stopped the colonization of Thailand, nothing to do with Thailand being strong or smart, Rama V was chuffed to bits that he had the worlds super power as his heavy and he often used them to do his bidding, including a few British gun boats down the South......... Even his Admiral was British..... Sir John Bush, Chief of Police, Ships Captains, mercenaries, etc,etc,etc,.......  A part of Thailands history not known by most........

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, lungbing said:

It was a stitch up between France and Britain to keep Siam as a buffer between  British Burma and Malaysia and French Indo-China.  Those bits the British wanted, they took, eg the states that are now in Northern Malay and those bits France wanted it took, like Battambong, now in Cambodia.

And as for Thailand never being colonised, what were the Japanese 1941-1945 then, armed tourists?

Honoured guests i believe....... The same ones that marched / peddled down to Singapore knocking off an estimated 90,000 Chinese on their way....... 

12 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I can remember when Thailand had 4 million tourists per year. That figure became 39 million in 2019.

The place was much nicer and more beautiful back then. Thailand has been spoilt by the scourge of mass tourism. I hope that they never return. 

Hate to break it to you. Expats are tourists too. Careful what you wish for.  You are always a visitor in the kindom no matter whats stamped in your passport

• Like 1