COVID-infected illegal Thai returnees from Thachilek to face charges

rooster59

No clue why they're treating these people with the kid-gloves usually reserved for the higher classes??

18 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

after they had travelled to several places possibly, though unwittingly, spreading the disease.

19 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

legal action will be taken against the women, once they have recovered from the disease

Why not levy charges now?

The whole of the linked article contains similar deferential statements from the "authorities".

However, this part does mention additional lying which may have restricted the ability to trace people...although note the "whole" and "half-truths" qualifiers.

"The Disease Control Department said that the ten infected Thai returnees from Thachilek did not tell the whole truth to Thai health officials, apparently out of fear of legal action, but their half-truths have rendered efforts to contain the disease ineffective."

Maybe a few photos (with masks/hats/fake designer sunglasses on of course). Some wai-ing, a dash of prostration, maybe a TV interview. Doesn't feel like there will be any follow-up?

• Like 2

"The Disease Control Department said that the ten infected Thai returnees from Thachilek did not tell the whole truth to Thai health officials, apparently out of fear of legal action, but their half-truths have rendered efforts to contain the disease ineffective."

Maybe they did not tell the whole truth out of fear of threats coming from some of their Thai "do-you-know-who-I-am"-customers? :coffee1:

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I suspect that we all know the answer but have difficulty admitting it. 

There is a culture of childish impunity here to breaking the law, obeying rules, morals and ethics. 

The magnitude of loss of face here must be monumental given this new outbreak was entirely the fault of belligerent Thais, and not unwanted, dirty foreigners as been the mantra since the outset. 

I note that they are already blameshifting to the Chinese 'investor' owner of the hotel in Tachilek. 

The girls will be made to wai and apologise in the media as you state, but it won't go any further IMO. 

Only on Thaivisa has it been this 'mantra.'

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, garzhe said:

And if they don't others will continue to cross  illegally 

Charge them with every charge they can find or dream-up.

But they must get the point out that it's important to come thru' controlled crossings and report, if coming in illegally etc rules will be waived or modified to suit with quarantine costs covered etc. Illegal entry for Thai's or others will be severely punished with long jail time, no if's but's or maybe's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Maybe they did not tell the whole truth out of fear of threats coming from some of their Thai "do-you-know-who-I-am"-customers? :coffee1:

I will tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

I'm am a virgin, this is my first day in Myanmar.