Jomtien: Harbor department press ahead with 586 million baht beach project

rooster59

They have already recycled the superbly useless lifeguard lookout platforms scam. Last time - years ago - they were all metal and too hot to use, and slowly corroded on the sand, before they were removed. This time, they're made of wood I think, but I've still not seen them properly used yet. Here's hoping....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No mention of how the erosion of the existing  beach will be arrested to prevent erosion of the imported sand.

There won't be any erosion arresting plan, it will be in the budget for the multiple repairs that will follow.

35 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

There won't be any erosion arresting plan, it will be in the budget for the multiple repairs that will follow.

Sure , that's the plan. They have their (permanent) construction trailers community environment established on beach around soi13 now. I'll take the beach photo in the OP to what is going to have to be put up with around here for years.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 3:19 PM, spiekerjozef said:

All that money....

Where were they a couple of months ago when so many people were lining up desperate for food and shelter?

Well, at least they are going to make more beach for the homeless to sleep on.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

Don't knock it too early guys.

The horse bolted some seasons ago.  All too little, too late.  Once you have lost a customer (tourist) very difficult to get them back.  

Then, you have other issues like the strong baht, visas etc. 

It's not knocking too early.  The writing has been on the wall for years here.   

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 4:20 AM, Oldie said:

"Some 640,000 cubic meters of sand will be required in Phase One."

Additional phases will follow after every big rain... 

So I guess it's foolish to cut the grass and trim the trees.  'Cause you're just going to have to do it again next week.

It's called routine maintenance and it's practiced all over the world where cities depend on having beaches to draw in tourist $$$.  And when the beaches wash away, they bring in more sand.  Because they've figured out that stopping the erosion is either impossible, or much more expensive than hauling in sand occasionally.