Soi Dog targets ‘hot spots’ as number of Phuket strays spirals

rooster59

I couldn't imagine 70,000.  The beach resort i stayed at in 16' had a few unwelcome dogs.  The signs said not to feed them.  They wandered in the resort. By the pool. The eating  area, beach.  The owner wanted them gone but his hands were tied.   I say get rid of 99.99% and then say good job.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

in 2003, an estimated 70,000 stray dogs roamed the island. Today, the foundation estimates that number to be around 7,000, a reduction of 90%.

Another species headed for extinction in the wild because of man.

In the future if you want to see a Soi Dog they will only be in zoos.

I am going to contact PETA, see if he can do something.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Soi dog does a good job to reduce the numbers of ( suffering ) soi dogs .

Instead of complaining about the dogs , help them financially to finish their job .

I would be happy to donate to an annual CULL!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

There are TOO many mangy, mongrel ownerless dogs everywhere, plenty of people to feed them but no one to take responsibility for them! I'm not a hater, I look at practical solutions and a CULL seems practical to me, how many have you adopted and taken responsibility for  NF?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I think it is not hate.

it is fear. 

Dogs are a good judge of character.

Not fear, their bark is usually worse than their bite, unfortunately they seem to prefer barking during the night!

Just now, PatOngo said:

Not fear, their bark is usually worse than their bite, unfortunately they seem to prefer barking during the night!

So , you feel disturbed in your sleep by barking dogs ... what about the motorbike riders or the often loud thai people ?

You want to cull them , too  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nobodysfriend said:

So , you feel disturbed in your sleep by barking dogs ... what about the motorbike riders or the often loud thai people ?

You want to cull them , too  ?

That is self perpetuated, at a rate in excess of 20,000 per year on the roads!

Waste of time and energy....is any politician's income or is hi-so's wealth impacted by soi dogs?.....No.....so nothing will ever happen.

I agree with previous posters a massive cull is necessary....not out of hatred, but out of public health concerns.....700 children a year lose their eyesight due to the toxocara infections from dog excrement.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

There are TOO many mangy, mongrel ownerless dogs everywhere, plenty of people to feed them but no one to take responsibility for them! I'm not a hater, I look at practical solutions and a CULL seems practical to me, how many have you adopted and taken responsibility for  NF?

Culls do not work. It's been proven thus many times in many countries. All it does is leave vacancies for other dogs to fill and it also stimulates the remaining dogs to increase their breeding rate. Within a few months of a cull, you're back to where you started.

CNVR  is used now extensively to control dog populations and the Soi Dog Foundation's figures provide clear evidence that it is indeed effective.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Culls do not work. It's been proven thus many times in many countries. All it does is leave vacancies for other dogs to fill and it also stimulates the remaining dogs to increase their breeding rate. Within a few months of a cull, you're back to where you started.

CNVR  is used now extensively to control dog populations and the Soi Dog Foundation's figures provide clear evidence that it is indeed effective.

So cull and sterilize ....?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Waste of time and energy....is any politician's income or is hi-so's wealth impacted by soi dogs?.....No.....so nothing will ever happen.

I agree with previous posters a massive cull is necessary....not out of hatred, but out of public health concerns.....700 children a year lose their eyesight due to the toxocara infections from dog excrement.

To become infected by Toxocara , one needs to swallow dirt  ... who does this except ,may be very small children ? In this case it would be the parent's fault , not the dogs ...

Adults and children can become infected by accidentally swallowing dirt that has been contaminated with dog or cat feces that contain infectious Toxocara eggs. Although it is rare, people can also become infected from eating undercooked meat containing Toxocara larvae.

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

Parents should look after their very young kids , that they not swallow anything bad , right ...?

Your response would suggest the you have never had children...or if you have, you have never actually looked after them.

• Haha 1