Trying to figure out a way of using internet with only a modem without wifi...

redwood1

I signed up for Trues 499 a month package here.....

https://truesuperfiber.truecorp.co.th/packages/99

They gave me this modem/router it works fine......I use the internet 99% of the time with my desktop using a LAN connection.....And is the case with most of these boxes there is absolutely no way to turn off the wifi and keep using the LAN.....Only turning the box off kills the wifi......

I had the thought of buying a modem for this DSL? connection... and getting a computer shop to configure the new modem to to work with my current True internet connection......Then I can have internet without wifi.....

I have never done this before, So I was wondering if anyone on here who knew about computers could give a opinion on if you think this would work or not?.........Thanks a lot........

20201205_080149.thumb.jpg.3491fd491072d19b53f8aaff66b7a984.jpg

20201205_080427.thumb.jpg.55797d2d93aef44bec2e8c5479b26961.jpg

20201205_080407.thumb.jpg.181480bae31b9c61971fdf8310b52353.jpg

3 minutes ago, userabcd said:

As already suggested just access the internal router settings and tick the boxes to turn off the 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi, save the settings and logout of the router.

The cable lan connection can still be used.

This sounds like a good solution.....But how would would someone ( like me) go about interfacing with the internal routers settings......I not sure at all how to do this.....Thanks

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Did you get a manual with the router?

You'll need to go to 192.168.1.1 (usually) with your browser, you should get a log on page. This is where the manual comes in because you'll need the logon details (sometimes it's on the router itself or on the box). Or Google the make and model of your router for the defaults.

Once inside you should find the WiFi configuration page where you can disable WiFi.

Alternatively give the True helpline a call, they may even be able to do it by remote control, if not the tech will do it in a moment.

Ok thanks I am looking at the manual now, I will be trying this out shortly I hope.....

3 hours ago, userabcd said:

Connect to the router via existing wifi or the lan cable.

Open a web browser and type in the address bar 192.168.1.1 (the router front page will open)

Enter your login details for the router (admin and password, these are usually on the router and you can read and enter them in the login page if they have not been changed)

In the settings go to wlan (2.4G and 5G) and tick the box to disable the wifi signal for each of the wifi broadcast frequencies.

Save the settings and logout of the router.

Thanks alot....

I amazingly was able to turn off the wifi......That is after I screwed up the user name and password a got locked out for a while.....

Then I went to WLAN 5G and 2.4G checked the boxes and that was it....It will be very easy the 2nd time......

Thanks everyone for helping...

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Does the router not send out a little 'feeler' every now and then? But as for preventing sleep.......?

I did not say wifi prevents sleep,no not at all.....I said I just sleep a bit better without it.....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I did not say wifi prevents sleep,no not at all.....I said I just sleep a bit better without it.....

Try moving the router to another room if you have one, or even outside.

Then again, how difficult is it to switch it off when you want to sleep?

17 minutes ago, wombat said:
18 hours ago, ballpoint said:

You've never tried sleeping with a tin foil hat on?

latest studies suggest they need to be earthed

Didn't I read somewhere that google was developing a wireless version of the tin foil hat?

• Haha 1

Most routers use a standard url fit the router admin panel. Put it into the browser and open the setting panel. Login and password are often both 'admin'. I'm very sure you can disable wifi there. YouTube has tons of video on doing it. 

Several replies say the same as me. If you can't do it you need to get some basic knowledge about computers or just learn to live with Wi-Fi. 

52 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Several replies say the same as me. If you can't do it you need to get some basic knowledge about computers or just learn to live with Wi-Fi. 

Several replies by the OP state he read the manual, got the login from Crossy's hint (the OP had already posted the sticker with the info), had followed directions and ALREADY disabled the WiFi (Thank You Very Much!)

The follow on posts are only us trying to punk the OP for wanting to disable WiFi so he can sleep better (ie: not have that access vector open when he doesn't even use it, reason), but we're punking him for the tin foil hat reason.  Please do try and keep up.