Regency clothes

Well, the girls always love gays ("Why are all the best men gay?") - because they're non-threatening.

As to the clothes, they would look OK if everyone - or at least every upper crusty male - was wearing them. But, as that suggests, they are entirely impractical in the modern world where egalitarianism and work competence are actually required of most people most of the time. These clothes are (and were 200 years ago) the clothes and the symbols of rich & leisured people.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I'm not gay but you can't deny that the clothes are elegant. He probably is gay but has style, courage and the energy to make a business out of it. I look at the clothes as manly elegance, yes I'd wear it in public and I bet the girls would love it.

???? Yeah, right! Pay enough money, the girls will love anything!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Well, the girls always love gays ("Why are all the best men gay?") - because they're non-threatening.

As to the clothes, they would look OK if everyone - or at least every upper crusty male - was wearing them. But, as that suggests, they are entirely impractical in the modern world where egalitarianism and work competence are actually required of most people most of the time. These clothes are (and were 200 years ago) the clothes and the symbols of rich & leisured people.

Why impractical? they have all the elements of a normal suit of clothes you would wear in an office, jacket, trousers, waist coat etc. No you wouldn't wear it on a building site or on a production line but you wouldn't wear a modern suit there either. The style is elegant, yes and classy because we aren't used to seeing it, certainly a little dramatic perhaps but above all not boring.

16 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Why impractical? they have all the elements of a normal suit of clothes you would wear in an office, jacket, trousers, waist coat etc. No you wouldn't wear it on a building site or on a production line but you wouldn't wear a modern suit there either. The style is elegant, yes and classy because we aren't used to seeing it, certainly a little dramatic perhaps but above all not boring.

As for the girls (or indeed the boys), the clothes would be hard to get out of in a hurry (particularly when hard), and harder still to get back into. ????

1 hour ago, PatOngo said:

???? Yeah, right! Pay enough money, the girls will love anything!

I just showed the clip to my wife and 20 year old step daughter both thought they were attractive and had sex appeal, especially the brown and black one.

1 minute ago, mfd101 said:

As for the girls (or indeed the boys), the clothes would be hard to get out of in a hurry (particularly when hard), and harder still to get back into. ????

Who said that the age of romance was dead, haste is for teenagers.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I just showed the clip to my wife and 20 year old step daughter both thought they were attractive and had sex appeal, especially the brown and black one.

Oh, and which one will you be buying? The black or the brown, or both? ???? If you have a wife, which girls are you trying to impress???

Just now, PatOngo said:

Oh, and which one will you be buying? The black or the brown, or both? ???? If you have a wife, which girls are you trying to impress???

I'd go for the black one. Not to impress the girls but just for the pleasure of looking elegant.

8 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

reprehensible at best

Not quite, the suit wearing and pompous flair for showing one has money is as you say reprehensible.  Ego does not need to be satiated, it just needs to be put aside.  Act as yourself, we are all cavemen.

Image result for Caveman Couple

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not quite, the suit wearing and pompous flair for showing one has money is as you say reprehensible.  Ego does not need to be satiated, it just needs to be put aside.  Act as yourself, we are all cavemen.

Image result for Caveman Couple

nothing to do with money, you can look sloppy or elegant without there being a huge difference in money. You can wear designer jeans halfway down your butt and an expensive tee shirt crawling up your stomach and look as if you belong on skid row or wear them properly. Elegance is a matter of self esteem, pomposity is a matter of attitude. Ego is basically just a defence mechanism, my land, your land, my resources, your resources, it built cities and nations,  ego is anger, the driver of change and progress while the intellect tempers the material needs and produces great works of art, protocol, traditions and elegance. As a 19th century French politician tried to explain to his complaining, impatient American counterpart in Paris, " social manners may be just hot air for you sir but it is only air in the tyres of a motor car that make the journey through life pleasant". So you may find elegance just hot air but for some it is a joy that counteracts the harshness of life.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

"It's never been an attention thing ..." he says.

Well, I doubt that is true - but I guess most of us have dressed for attention at some time. Good for him.

Dress is to a certain extent about attention seeking or the desire to conform and be accepted by your peers whether punks, rockers or fashion followers who slavishly follow the fashions of the day.

What impresses me about this man is the energy he has put into his life style from the age of 14, he must have studied the fashions of that era and almost certainly taken lessons in tailoring to be able to make his own clothes.  His conviction, courage and flair speak of a love of life and of a desire for a bygone era of elegance. He doesn't just dress as a gentleman he speaks and acts the part, a loveable eccentric.

His motivation is no different from that of a punk rocker or a skin head but while the latter two chose to reject norms in a negative way and try to outdo each other in ugliness he has chosen to be positive in his eccentricity and celebrate life in elegance. I am full of admiration for him.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

Dress is to a certain extent about attention seeking or the desire to conform and be accepted by your peers whether punks, rockers or fashion followers who slavishly follow the fashions of the day.

Sounds to me that you gave forgotten about individualism and doing your own thing. Apparently 15 minutes of fame is more important and conforming to be accepted is important to you.  Being an individual, accepting your own responsibility and not following the crowd of lemings is more important I do believe.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

His motivation is no different from that of a punk rocker or a skin head

Like I said 15 minutes of fame.  

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds to me that you gave forgotten about individualism and doing your own thing. Apparently 15 minutes of fame is more important and conforming to be accepted is important to you.  Being an individual, accepting your own responsibility and not following the crowd of lemings is more important I do believe.

Like I said 15 minutes of fame.  

you've obviously misunderstood me, how I don't know. Individualism is common in its variety, a punk rocker is trying to be different, individualistic but at the same time is conforming to his peers, your choice of a particular suit marks out your individual taste in clothes, this man is just at the far end of the spectrum of individuality to be delightfully,tastefully eccentric.

Edited by soalbundy

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

you've obviously misunderstood me, how I don't know. Individualism is common in its variety, a punk rocker is trying to be different, individualistic but at the same time is conforming to his peers, your choice of a particular suit marks out your individual taste in clothes, this man is just at the far end of the spectrum of individuality to be delightfully eccentric.

Conforming to be like others, trying to look like others, emulating others, following others, and as much as it can be said that you are flattering tge others who before you did the same is not individuality.  Now if he had changed up the clothes and worn them differently, instead of the way they were originally worn by men back in the past, and instead of his wanting to look like them, then that would be individuality. Much like the students here taking the uniforms and doing modifications to them to not look like others.  I get what your saying, however it is not individuality to look like someone else, or be like someone in the past who conformed because it was the norm and expected. The same with all of the body enhancements people do to look similar, or a hair style. Its still 15 minutes of fame and attention grabbing.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Conforming to be like others, trying to look like others, emulating others, following others, and as much as it can be said that you are flattering tge others who before you did the same is not individuality.  Now if he had changed up the clothes and worn them differently, instead of the way they were originally worn by men back in the past, and instead of his wanting to look like them, then that would be individuality. Much like the students here taking the uniforms and doing modifications to them to not look like others.  I get what your saying, however it is not individuality to look like someone else, or be like someone in the past who conformed because it was the norm and expected. The same with all of the body enhancements people do to look similar, or a hair style. Its still 15 minutes of fame and attention grabbing.

I don't agree, he is individual in that his choice of clothing is unusual for this day and age. I don't think that is his true motivation though, he just likes the style of dress (what's not to like about it) and has the desire and courage to bring colour and elegance into his life and at the same time has made a business out of his interest, he is a walking advert so to speak, he has obviously struck a cord internationally for a return to flamboyance, colour and elegance, away from mass monochrome male fashion and I for one applaud him for it.

To me its just a publicity thing.

Didnt Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen do something similar at the etart of his designer career, dressing very loud and flambouyant.

That said, each to his own, if people have the thick skin to carry it off and dont mind the inevitable negative jibes, why not dress how you please.

14 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

I've taken this a few steps further and dress like a Neanderthal man when pottering around the house. Very liberating.

Yes, I'm sitting in my underwear unshaven in front of the computer at the moment.

It would be a mistake to think that elegance, style and fashion weren't present even during the neolithic era and before that.If you have ever visited the paleontological museum in Denmark you will have seen a remarkable set of stone tools and weapons that astonish in their beauty and the skill and effort required to make them, stone axe heads and spear heads polished to remove all traces of the chipping marks needed to form them, the polishing which must have taken weeks of hard labour didn't improve their working performance it was done because it was pleasing to the eye. When otzi was found in the alps his clothing was so finely and regularly stitched together that it was first thought this must have been done by machine and so he must be a modern hiker who died of the cold. An appreciation for symmetry and beauty beyond just functionality isn't a modern trait.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

To me its just a publicity thing.

Didnt Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen do something similar at the etart of his designer career, dressing very loud and flambouyant.

That said, each to his own, if people have the thick skin to carry it off and dont mind the inevitable negative jibes, why not dress how you please.

Add in Lady Gaga, a gimic to bring on the masses and then over time tone it down.  Now Elton John was a flamboyant man and still is in the fashions he wears.  One of a kind.

• Like 1