Illegal renting of houses to large groups of noisy tourists - where do I report?

Card

16 hours ago, Card said:

Thanks. Very useful. It is not only a report of noise but much more serious  involvement of probable illegal renting and tax avoidance (and immigration reporting when foreign tourists are involved) so I wonder if the authorities would take it more seriously and investigate.

I will say good luck, but myself would just move to another place.

how often and what is late hours for you? Weekend noise you just have to live with. 

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Op is a foreigner living in Thailand. At the end of the day he has very few, if any, real rights.

Most of us understand this after living here a few years. Maybe you are new here or living in some Expat bubble, but to try to impose western values and rules here does not work. 

Sadly I can almost guarantee if the op complains about this situation nothing will happen and the Thai people involved will think he is stupid...and he will just end up causing himself more stress 

He should be thankful that the houses have not been converted into noisy bars or factories, and the noise does not happen at night. 

I disagree...this is not about western values. This about human values, human decency and human consideration for others.

In a recent survey the second greatest concern expressed by THAIS was noisy neighbors....you must have seen recent reports of shootings!!!

People who tolerate noise are as guilty as those that create it.....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

He should be thankful that the houses have not been converted into noisy bars or factories, and the noise does not happen at night. 

Civilisations have planning laws.......so I will give you that one as we are living in Thailand.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I disagree...this is not about western values. This about human values, human decency and human consideration for others.

In a recent survey the second greatest concern expressed by THAIS was noisy neighbors....you must have seen recent reports of shootings!!!

And you expect yourself or him to make the change ????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Surelynot said:

Not in a residential area.

Good luck, thailand is noisy everywhere, no matter where you go or live, except inside an expat colony with big thick walls around. Protected from everything except drunk and selfish expats, that think they own the place. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I agree with your view. That would be lovely if humans could be considerate to each other and their neighbours. Sadly this is real life, and that does not happen in this country very often. 

Reality is, as a foreigner, we will mostly not be entertained when it comes to criticising Thai peoples behaviour. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Where are you living that is quiet and with considerate neighbours that will stop doing anything that annoys you? I would like to know so I can sell my house and move there. ????

Ha!.....25 years in Germany...where you do not disturb your neighbors under any circumstances....and currently in a a condo in central Bangkok.....where we just bumped into our next door neighbor after being her since March and who we didn't know existed...we thought the apartment was empty.

We live our lives in a way that does not disturb anyone else's peace....ever.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

I don't think that would be very nice, Chap, and it could have dreadful consequences.

If they are then they only have themselves to blame...... throwing a 'bag' into their back garden and then calling the police.....not good.

Is this 10-20 people per house? Or a total number spread out over 3-6 houses?

The reason I ask, is if they have 4 rooms they must register as a guest house. If they're not registered, they are breaking the law and you have a valid complaint.

Edited by 2530Ubon

2 hours ago, Card said:

The houses did not start to be rented out until long after the adjacent condos were built and occupied. There must be hundreds of condos affected by about 6 houses owned by what seems like 2 or 3 owners now, so suck that up.

you missed the point.

was the houses there before the condo was built. ?

Ps Get some double glazing and turn the aircon on. if you have bought the place, if not just move out.

Edited by quake
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

Nothing worse than when a foreigner shows up uninvited to a country and starts telling the local people how to behave because he doesn’t like. Call the party off because it is annoying a foreigner.

Uninvited to a country? Isn't the issuance of a visa an invitation to enter the country? If Thai people don't want foreigners living in or visiting their country, then please let us all know now so we can stop wasting our time and money here. Last time i checked, they were desperate for "well heeled" foreigners with money to come here. Are they going to come if this is the attitude they're going to receive? The difference between you and the OP, is that he has purchased a condominium unit, assumingly in a residential are - not a holiday rental in Pattaya where you can expect a party atmosphere.

The law is the law, unless you're an heir to a fortune, or a member of a certain family. Whilst the OP can't complain about day time noise, if they are making excessive noise late at night, every night, then he has a valid reason to be upset.

He can complain all he likes, nothing will change, but if the Thais know he snitched on them, well, you know....

And illogical thinking like this is exactly what the students are protesting about. Change is coming, and if the progressive movement have their way, a closer relationship with the west will be happening. Just look at foreigners living in our home countries. Are they not entitled to live within the law just as you are back at home? Would the police tell the foreigners to shut up if they complained back at home? No, because they would be accused of being racist and sued.

You can't have it both ways. You can't want foreigners with money to come here and not give them the same treatment and respect as netizens.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

This is what I did, I moved from condo to condo, and out to the rice fields, but trust me, you can not escape noise in Thailand completely, the only way I found proper peace in Thailand, is at a top notch hotel. Even I BKK I find more peace at a hotel in Sukhumvit close to Terminal 21. 

Good advise is to rent before buy in thailand, or just rent which is maybe the best advise. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

My advice especially for Pattaya is don't buy anything here. Pattaya has no zoning and new noise can happen everywhere at any time. Your investment might be unusable and without value if some idiots open for instance a bar in your area and make crazy noise every day and night. And don't expect that a quiet area will always be quiet. And don't expect that the City Hall or the police will change anything. 

After very many years in Pattaya I decided to buy a condo in a completely quiet area. In the meantime I have so much noise that despite special windows (not simple double glazing) the condo cannot be used anymore. Complaints - hundreds for years by very many people. And NOTHING ever changed. Not only that I can't use my "investment" anymore. I can't even sell it. It is a total loss of several million Baht. Nobody here in Pattaya cares. Myself and others have done a lot by complaining at the City Hall and police. After years most gave up because it is a waste of time and energy. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Uninvited to a country? Isn't the issuance of a visa an invitation to enter the country? If Thai people don't want foreigners living in or visiting their country, then please let us all know now so we can stop wasting our time and money here. Last time i checked, they were desperate for "well heeled" foreigners with money to come here. Are they going to come if this is the attitude they're going to receive? The difference between you and the OP, is that he has purchased a condominium unit, assumingly in a residential are - not a holiday rental in Pattaya where you can expect a party atmosphere.

The law is the law, unless you're an heir to a fortune, or a member of a certain family. Whilst the OP can't complain about day time noise, if they are making excessive noise late at night, every night, then he has a valid reason to be upset.

And illogical thinking like this is exactly what the students are protesting about. Change is coming, and if the progressive movement have their way, a closer relationship with the west will be happening. Just look at foreigners living in our home countries. Are they not entitled to live within the law just as you are back at home? Would the police tell the foreigners to shut up if they complained back at home? No, because they would be accused of being racist and sued.

You can't have it both ways. You can't want foreigners with money to come here and not give them the same treatment and respect as netizens.

The hotel industry might want “well heeled tourists” 

I don’t think the bloke complaining is a tourist. 

A visa isn’t an “invitation”.

I don’t think the average thai having a party on their weekend with friends particularly wants foreigners here complaining about the party. 

He is complaining that 20 people are having fun, and it annoys him. As I said, I was in the same position, but I wasn’t selfish enough to ask 20 citzens to stop enjoying themselves. 

Residential zone in Pattaya? 

The students are making a lot of noise also. Under where people live in condos. Should they be silenced also? 

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Nobody here in Pattaya cares. Myself and others have done a lot by complaining at the City Hall and police. After years most gave up because it is a waste of time and energy. 

Correct. 

You can complain and carry on as much as you want, it won’t change anything. Perhaps get a bit of lip service a fake smile while they are really rolling their eyes.

Thais like to party. Up to them.

Music sounds better loud. People are louder in groups, especially when drinking or drugging. Parties are loud. Hard to have fun in silence. 

Just the way it is, nobody is forcing any foreigner to stay here.

It doesn’t bother Thais. 

Getting angry, frustrated, spitting the dummy you will only get yourself all worked up. 
Jai yen yen pee.

• Thanks 1

The hotel industry might want “well heeled tourists” 

I don’t think the bloke complaining is a tourist. 

A visa isn’t an “invitation”.

I don’t think the average thai having a party on their weekend with friends particularly wants foreigners here complaining about the party. 

He is complaining that 20 people are having fun, and it annoys him. As I said, I was in the same position, but I wasn’t selfish enough to ask 20 citzens to stop enjoying themselves. 

Residential zone in Pattaya? 

The students are making a lot of noise also. Under where people live in condos. Should they be silenced also? 

The OP says this is all day and into the late evening most days- hardly a party at the weekend. Oversimplifying something to illustrate a point is silly.

Pattaya has several residential zones, Naklua being one of them.

Who's being selfish? The people disturbing others every day with intolerable noise (it must be bad for the OP to consider complaining), or the guy who bought a condo and lives there permanently. It's worth noting that this is a recurring problem as he says:

"being rented out for 1-2 nights at a time to large numbers of tourists (often 10-20 per house)." The house owner is probably running illegal guesthouses which affects the income of legally registered hotels and guesthouses.

I don't know why you would bring students into this, it has no bearing on the OP's post!

Perhaps reading the OP's original post instead of showing how much noise you can tolerate would be a better use of your time.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Confused 1

On 12/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, Card said:

I live in a condo in Pattaya and overlook a number of local houses which are being rented out for 1-2 nights at a time to large numbers of tourists (often 10-20 per house). Before covid the tourists were usually Chinese or Indians, but since covid they are Thai tourists. I am sure several of the houses are owned by the same person and probably rented through an agent as they do not appear on Airbnb. I would not mind but the noise they create is intolerable most of the day and until very late in the evening.

I am asking where I can complain to the local or national authorities as I am sure it is illegal to rent private accommodation for less than 1 month to avoid competition with hotels, which are suffering badly at this time. Is it the police, local city hall, tax authorities, hotels association and is there a online link to make the complaint? I very much doubt complaining to the owners would make the slightest difference and it may open me to revenge.

do you rent or own your condo?  If your rent it, move.  If you own it........oh dear....hard luck

your experience is one of the reasons I would never, ever, buy here in Thailand

• Thanks 1

I don't want to always be so negative and that's why I want to post here some success stories from other people regarding their fight against noise pollution here in Pattaya:

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-village-chief-vows-all-out-assault-on-protected-illegal-najomtien-beach-bar-334186

https://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/illegal-beach-shanties-42369

4 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

It doesn’t bother Thais. 

I'm not sure this is true. Thai people seem to dislike loud, obtrusive noise at anti-social hours just as much as westerners. Thai society avoids confrontation, but every now and then someone snaps.

In Australia, loud intrusive noise from selfish neighbours was a regular problem in the 1970s, but noise restrictions now tend to be enforced if enough people complain. I'm sure it's the same in similar countries.

Thailand will get there too. Maybe in another 10 years Thailand will be more like many of the nanny states we thought we had left. I hope the plagues of loudspeaker trucks advertising for the local government elections will be the first to go.

But noise is definitely a problem. I think people are right to complain if it is unwarranted, ongoing and at intrusive levels.

To imply that this is Thailand, Thai people can do what they want, Thai people tolerate loud/unwanted noise, and nobody (least of all a foreigner) is entitled to say anything, is a pretty broad generalisation.

Maybe it is akin to saying that only the elite know how to rule Thailand, and it is quite right and proper that they do this to benefit themselves as a reward. If nobody ever says anything, or challenges this, then I guess the status quo will continue forever.

24 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

I'm not sure this is true. Thai people seem to dislike loud, obtrusive noise at anti-social hours just as much as westerners. Thai society avoids confrontation, but every now and then someone snaps.

Thais have a problem with noise. Some even killed their neighbors. The problem is that many of them don't care about others and do what they want and that nothing is done to educate such people. But also at many government approved festivals you often have insane volume levels. 

Here an article about Thais and noise and some ways to complain:

https://bangkokjack.com/2020/11/14/noisy-thailand/

On 12/5/2020 at 4:44 PM, Guderian said:

Get a Thai speaker to make an anonymous call to the cops and tip them off that the houses are full of Thais who've just returned from Burma without going into quarantine and so they're probably rife with covid. That'll set the cat amongst the pigeons!

He might have more luck in Pattaya if they tipped off the police that there is illegal gambling.

But unless its farangs that are playing dominos, bridge or darts better to not get involved. 

• Haha 2

I am absolutely staggered that anyone finds it acceptable to make any noise that disturbs someone else's peace and quiet.....anywhere in the world.

Just like respect should be automatic and only ever lost......peace and quiet should be the order of the day and never unnecessarily broken.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2