how many days before visa expires should i do retirement extension?

Anyone using income should consider going a few weeks early as I would worry a statement from the bank showing 12 months of deposits might be asked for. 

Even with money on deposit, the requirement is they need to look back 12 months now. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'd recommend doing it about two weeks prior, in case there are any glitches. Has worked for me in my last two extensions.

Agreed. Gives you time in case there are any issues.

12 hours ago, Fat George said:

A word of warning. Chaeng Wattana immigration are currently issuing extensions that begin on the day you  arrive there. Not the day the previous extension ends. There is another thread on this topic. 

Not in my recent experience. Nor do I recall any posts mentioning this here or on various FB groups.

I went ~ 17 days prior to my then current permission to stay date, which was perserved. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, tonray said:

In addition, a concern for those extending OA visa permissions, is you need to time the insurance coverage as many offices want the coverage to be in effect the date you apply. Going early will cut off some of your potential year permission granted. 

In my case I had an overlapping policy with my current policy ending the day my stamped in date was to end with the next year starting on that same date, albeit at 4:30 pm.  This was a minor issue as they had to confirm both of the certificates I had in my hand along with what PCH had put in the database which showed both policies, once confirmed it was no issue and they as I indicated in a previous post put the extension into my passport for the entire year until the date of the new years policy ending.  If you already have a policy for your current year it should not be a problem, but if you are just now obtaining the HI policy for the first time, I agree with Tonray.  Please ensure the policy start and end dates and try and get the insurance company to ensure it is in the system, as a few people have had some issues with the HI Company not getting it into the database.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In my case I had an overlapping policy with my current policy ending the day my stamped in date was to end with the next year starting on that same date, albeit at 4:30 pm.  This was a minor issue as they had to confirm both of the certificates I had in my hand along with what PCH had put in the database which showed both policies, once confirmed it was no issue and they as I indicated in a previous post put the extension into my passport for the entire year until the date of the new years policy ending.  If you already have a policy for your current year it should not be a problem, but if you are just now obtaining the HI policy for the first time, I agree with Tonray.  Please ensure the policy start and end dates and try and get the insurance company to ensure it is in the system, as a few people have had some issues with the HI Company not getting it into the database.

yeah...the whole nonsense is a logistical mightmare....of course there was little thought when the Ministerial order was written and even les thought as to why OA extensions require coverage and O extensions do not. But...Jai Yen...or else my left Aorta will blow a gasket

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, tonray said:

yeah...the whole nonsense is a logistical mightmare....of course there was little thought when the Ministerial order was written and even les thought as to why OA extensions require coverage and O extensions do not. But...Jai Yen...or else my left Aorta will blow a gasket

I agree, its only a matter of time before it will happen according to my contact at the Consulate Generals office in Los Angeles.  The other item that has always left me scratching my head was the difference in the annual money in the bank between a married O extension and a retirement extension either O or O-A.  Doesn't a married couple need more money?, or do they expect the Thai wife to have that amount in the bank without checking and be working as well.  One of the mysteries of the Thai Immigration law. Built in inequality.

30 to 45 days prior is when most people start the process depending on the IO office, some as I have read can only do it 2 weeks before.  Then there is the issue of IO visits to those who have been married either newly or for ages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Anyone using income should consider going a few weeks early as I would worry a statement from the bank showing 12 months of deposits might be asked for. 

Even with money on deposit, the requirement is they need to look back 12 months now. 

And some banks, like Bangkok Bank, require a week or so to prepare the 12 month statement of deposits.  So, you have to plan in advance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

its only a matter of time before it will happen according to my contact at the Consulate Generals office in Los Angeles.

Has your contact revealed an implementation date?

Often see posts like yours, all with "contacts" (usually "high level"), but rarely hear any details.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Doesn't a married couple need more money?

When I've asked this question here I've received a couple of answers:

1. The foreigner can work on this type of ext., but may only be able to earn 40,000.

2. The wife may work.

Neither seem logical.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I agree, its only a matter of time before it will happen according to my contact at the Consulate Generals office in Los Angeles.  The other item that has always left me scratching my head was the difference in the annual money in the bank between a married O extension and a retirement extension either O or O-A.  Doesn't a married couple need more money?, or do they expect the Thai wife to have that amount in the bank without checking and be working as well.  One of the mysteries of the Thai Immigration law. Built in inequality.

30 to 45 days prior is when most people start the process depending on the IO office, some as I have read can only do it 2 weeks before.  Then there is the issue of IO visits to those who have been married either newly or for ages.

You probably are supposed to live in the village with the in-laws who then take care of YOU, hence the 400k in bank.????

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

30 days before is guaranteed to be OK everywhere.

I went in 6 days early and was told I was too late, must be at least 2 weeks (Phuket) so although it does state 30 days on the list of docs required form, don't take it literally. I'm. now on the standard covid 60 days and was told by more than one official that I now cannot apply for the O-A even if I keep the money in the bank for another 2 months.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, katatonic said:

I went in 6 days early and was told I was too late, must be at least 2 weeks (Phuket) so although it does state 30 days on the list of docs required form, don't take it literally. I'm. now on the standard covid 60 days and was told by more than one official that I now cannot apply for the O-A even if I keep the money in the bank for another 2 months.

I went in 6 days early and was told I was too late ???

Did Phuket IO deny your application for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, while you applied during the 30-day till permission to stay expiry date window? 

Or am I missing something...

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I went in 6 days early and was told I was too late ???

Did Phuket IO deny your application for a 1-year extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa, while you applied during the 30-day till permission to stay expiry date window? 

Or am I missing something...

No, I was applying for the O-A from a 60-day extension based on marriage as advised by the IO when I got it, transferring the funds to my Thai A/C in front of them and went in 6 days before the extension expiry.

Edited by katatonic
Addition
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, katatonic said:

No, I was applying for the O-A from a 60-day extension based on marriage and went in 6 days before the end.

You cannot apply for OA visa at immigration. I assume you were trying to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

What type of visa did you use for entry to the country.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot apply for OA visa at immigration. I assume you were trying to apply for a extension of stay based upon retirement.

What type of visa did you use for entry to the country.

Okay, may be a bit confused by the terminology - was trying to convert my 60 day extension by reason of marriage into a 3 month then 12 month visa, marriage actually not retirement (but still relevant to the OP I think). You advised me to do this on a previous thread, immigration concurring when I attended the first time. I entered on a tourist visa as usual as I did spend a lot more time elsewhere in SE Asia than here before C-19.

9 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Okay, may be a bit confused by the terminology - was trying to convert my 60 day extension by reason of marriage into a 3 month then 12 month visa, marriage actually not retirement (but still relevant to the OP I think). You advised me to do this on a previous thread, immigration concurring when I attended the first time. I entered on a tourist visa as usual as I did spend a lot more time elsewhere in SE Asia than here before C-19.

if you entered on a tourist visa you must have at least 15 day remaining on your permit to stay to apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Requirements for a non-o visa application based upon marriage at immigration is here.

https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

if you entered on a tourist visa you must have at least 15 day remaining on your permit to stay to apply for a non-o visa at immigration. Requirements for a non-o visa application based upon marriage at immigration is here.

https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/06-edit_NON-O.pdf

Okay, thanks, makes sense now but unfortunately I wasn't aware of that at the time. I'm off to work elsewhere for quite a while soon, since getting a new job yesterday, so luckily it won't affect me though.

• Like 1