Sean Connery's 007 pistol from 'Dr.No' sells for $256,000

rooster59

Sean Connery's 007 pistol from 'Dr.No' sells for $256,000

2020-12-04T112422Z_2_LYNXMPEGB302P_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-SEAN-CONNERY-AUCTION.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A semi-automatic Walther PP gun used by the late actor Sean Connery in the 1962 film "Dr. No" is seen in an undated photo before an auction in Beverly Hills, California, U.S. Courtesy of Julien's Auction/Handout via Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A handgun used by the late Sean Connery in the first James Bond film sold for $256,000 at auction in Beverly Hills on Thursday, topping earlier estimates for the piece of Hollywood history, Julien's Auctions said.

The deactivated semi-automatic Walther PP pistol, which along with its smaller model the PPK became one of the film franchise's best-known images, was used by Connery in the movie "Dr. No" in 1962.

Connery, the first James Bond in the franchise, died on Oct. 31 at the age of 90.

Julien's said the winning bidder, who asked to remain anonymous, was an American who had seen every James Bond movie with his or her children. The auction house had previously estimated that the gun would fetch between $150,000 and $200,000.

A helmet created for Tom Cruise in "Top Gun" also sold at the auction for $108,000, while a sword used by Bruce Willis in "Pulp Fiction" fetched $35,200.

(Reporting by Lisa Richwine; Editing by Karishma Singh)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-05

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Mine was a Bersa .308, Argentinian made pistol which looks much the same. Great pistol for me.In care of my youngest Son in the US.

.380  I have one, too.  Great inexpensive pistol, but a pretty blatant knockoff of the Walther.

I paid about $100 for mine in California many years ago.

Edited by impulse

Heard on radio today and confirmed by results on google- the next 007 will be be a woman.

I for one hope that the producers will be punished for this by a movie that loses millions of $. Seems that's the only message that will bring them to their senses.

I care not if they create an entirely new female spy character, but they need the 007 franchise to get enough people to see it, as seems to me that every female dominated action / thriller recently has been a turkey. Shame on them, IMO.

If they made a non 007 related female dominated movie that had a good plot, was exciting, and not using the movie to push a political agenda I'd pay to see it.

I'll be saving my money on this new atrocity against men.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Heard on radio today and confirmed by results on google- the next 007 will be be a woman.

I for one hope that the producers will be punished for this by a movie that loses millions of $. Seems that's the only message that will bring them to their senses.

I care not if they create an entirely new female spy character, but they need the 007 franchise to get enough people to see it, as seems to me that every female dominated action / thriller recently has been a turkey. Shame on them, IMO.

If they made a non 007 related female dominated movie that had a good plot, was exciting, and not using the movie to push a political agenda I'd pay to see it.

I'll be saving my money on this new atrocity against men.

(o)(o)7 

• Like 1