Analogue To Digital Conversion.

the scouser

I'm currently loading all of my father's old VHS tapes on to my PC and then burning them to DVD. For this process, I'm using a Dazzle DVC100 analogue to digital converter (USB-connected) and Windows Movie Maker software. Everything is going swimmingly except the finished product has a small-but-annoying amount of visual noise which manifests itself as momentary flickers of bright colour in the picture.

Is there anything I can do to lessen this, or is it something I have to live with?

As usual, all advice gratefully received.

Scouse.

Scouse - You may receive more responses if you post back specifics on your setup, such as computer make/model, operating system, processor, etc., as these may have a bearing on your problem.

Would also suggest (if you haven't done so as yet), you checked Pinnacle Support website here to insure you have the latest drivers for the Dazzle DVC100 A/D Converter, as well as latest updates to Microsoft's Movie Maker, at Windows Update.

I personally found the fastest & easiest way of converting hundreds of my VHS tapes to DVD was using one of the simple DVD/VHS Recorder Combo units, with a one button record/edit function. I was amazed how well the unit (a borrowed LG) actually filtered-out tape noise. None was noticeable on the finished DVD.

waldwolf

One thing I might add is to be sure there are no other programs running in order to maximize memory and also do not touch the computer while the conversion is taking place in case the buffer size on the converter is small. What about the capture software that comes with the unit, did you try it? Also, re-seat the video connectors in case they are not making good contact - noise can come from this.

I've checked for updates for my graphics card, Windows Movie Maker, and the converter: all are already up-to-date.

I've tried the capture software which came with the contraption and that has the advantage of being able to record straight to DVD. However, when I try that, it estimates that at the best quality I can only get 109 minutes of material on one 4.7 GB disk which, given the size, doesn't appear to be a lot. Using Movie Maker, and transferring the stuff via the computer hard disk, enables me to get about 5 hours' worth of programming on one DVD.

I've re-sat the connectors and changed the output scart socket from the VCR, so I'll see if that now works.

Cheers,

Scouse.