Christmas Turkey

chilli42

Has anyone found a store in Bangkok where you can buy fresh frozen Butterball Turkey?  Last year I was only able to find pre-cooked frozen Butterball and it truly is one of the worst things I have ever eaten.  Quite a number of retailers had fresh Turkey for sale ... raised in Thailand.  I thought this might be OK, how bad could it be, so I placed an order at the EM Quartier supermarket.  Turns out the Thai turkey is all around 3.? kg maximum and all are emaciated ... OK for soup maybe.  I was told last year that the Thai government has banned the import of fresh Turkey ... presumably to protect their new burgeoning turkey industry ... not sure if that is true or urban myth.  If anyone has found a source of fresh frozen turkey in Bangkok it would be much appreciated.

We haven't been able to buy fresh turkey (legally) for a couple of years. They placed a ban on fresh turkeys because of some disease outbreak in USA. That was the official reason, but I also think it has something to do with protecting Thai raised turkeys.

Surely they could import from England or Australia where there are some very good turkeys.

The pre-cooked turkey is not as good as fresh turkey, but because it is once a year we have gone ahead and bought one. They are more expensive this year too. Last year we bought from Sunrise Tacos, but this year they are the same price as Tops and we have already placed our order.

The Thai turkeys have no meat on them and last year I complained in a British pub that it wasn't turkey they were serving. The chef came out and said "yes it is turkey - big chicken". Yesm that was what it tasted like - a big chicken.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, petedk said:

We haven't been able to buy fresh turkey (legally) for a couple of years. They placed a ban on fresh turkeys because of some disease outbreak in USA. That was the official reason, but I also think it has something to do with protecting Thai raised turkeys.

Surely they could import from England or Australia where there are some very good turkeys.

The pre-cooked turkey is not as good as fresh turkey, but because it is once a year we have gone ahead and bought one. They are more expensive this year too. Last year we bought from Sunrise Tacos, but this year they are the same price as Tops and we have already placed our order.

The Thai turkeys have no meat on them and last year I complained in a British pub that it wasn't turkey they were serving. The chef came out and said "yes it is turkey - big chicken". Yesm that was what it tasted like - a big chicken.

Disappointing, but thanks for confirming.  Yes, there are a number of countries that they could import turkeys from.  Perhaps to Thai’s, all turkey is the same and they don’t give it another thought. I went to pick up the turkey I ordered (I was not told it was Thai grown turkey when I ordered).  I was of course shocked and disappointed when she handed me a malnourished chicken. The nice young lady behind the counter was genuinely perplexed at my reaction.  She insisted that it was a turkey and better for being a Thai turkey because it was cheaper.  Plan B looks like Bon Chon chicken.

• 3 months later...