Hua Hin: Covid scare and fake news blamed for no tourists at floating market

webfact

Hua Hin: Covid scare and fake news blamed for no tourists at floating market

5pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reporters went to the Sam Phan Nam Floating Market in Hua Hin during the long weekend that just passed and found it completely deserted. 

The area has been in economic decline since before the pandemic but Covid-19 made matters much worse. 

Bag and mask trader Napaphat Kaewcharoen said that she and others were just about remaining in business due to some weekend and long weekend trade. 

However the last few days were terrible with no one there at all. 

She put the blame at the door of the cases of the Thai women who sneaked across the Thai border in the north from Tachilek that spooked tourists. 

And she said that the situation was made worse by a fake news post that mentioned Prachuap Khiri Khan as a province that could not be visited. 

Sher begged people not to share such nonsense. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-07

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, worrab said:

Have visited a couple of times when in Hua Hin. Up to a couple of years ago my Thai ID card got me in for free, the same price as Thais. Now they do not accept the Card and really is not worth the 200THB entry. Most of the goods you can find either in Hua Hin shops or Cicada/Tamarind Markets. The place needs a total revamp to attract any tourist trade.  

What? 200 Baht farang price? 

• Sad 1

Last year I spent a week in Hua Hin and did a lot of touristy things. But in my research prior to the trip, I never heard about a floating market in the area, so I daresay even with foreign tourists, they might not have been doing that well thanks to poor marketing...

On 12/7/2020 at 11:33 AM, worrab said:

Have visited a couple of times when in Hua Hin. Up to a couple of years ago my Thai ID card got me in for free, the same price as Thais. Now they do not accept the Card and really is not worth the 200THB entry. Most of the goods you can find either in Hua Hin shops or Cicada/Tamarind Markets. The place needs a total revamp to attract any tourist trade.  

On 12/7/2020 at 4:59 PM, hotchilli said:

Remove the 200 baht for foreigners you might get some trade.

I was there about 2 weeks ago. There were no entrance fees!

But this market at the moment is only visited on weekends. I was there on a Monday... and I guess there were about 50 people in total in the Market.. and less than 50% of the shops opened. I talked with a coffee shop owner and he told at least on weekends they have some thai tourists coming by. 

• Like 1