Chiang Mai: Domestic tourism looking up after Covid scares

webfact

Chiang Mai: Domestic tourism looking up after Covid scares

8pm.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Biz News

The head of the Chiang Mai tourist business association presented an upbeat assessment to Thai business media after Covid scares in the north of the country spooked many Thais. 

Phallop Sae-jiw said that arrivals at Chiang Mai airport were down to about 7,000 people per day from November 29th to December 2nd. 

But for the 3rd and 4th this had picked up to 9,000 per day. 

More people were expected to come on weekends and long weekends and public holidays towards the end of the year.

8pm1.jpg

Picture: Bangkok Biz News

Reiterating that Chiang Mai was Covid free despite the scares, he said that some group tours had cancelled. These were mainly a few school trips with parents worried for their children. 

Most of the visitors would be small groups, families and people travelling as couples; data showed that some 70% of 30,000 hotel rooms had now been booked. 

Source: Bangkok Biz News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-12-07

They really don't give a rat's about anyone, all they're concerned about are their businesses and getting money. They have no idea whatsoever if Chiang Mai is currently "virus free"...Let's hope to God it is but it was only a week ago the ho who sneaked in from Burma was in the city and at Central.

• Like 1

I was just wondering about the age of that picture of the blue skies and relatively clean air over CM. I haven't been back there since last year, when the air was putrid,  but to be honest the last time I saw the air that clear in Changers was in the rainy season in 1994. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

I was just wondering about the age of that picture of the blue skies and relatively clean air over CM. I haven't been back there since last year, when the air was putrid,  but to be honest the last time I saw the air that clear in Changers was in the rainy season in 1994. 

It was genuinely beautiful a few months ago. I do a fair bit of running and I was continually transfixed by how amazing the sky looked. And how even these old eyes could pick out the finer details of our feathered friends as they traversed the atmosphere off in the distance.

That's all over now though. Today the AQI sites are colored orange and the sky is looking all dusty. You can see the white smoke near the horizons. To say this is maddening doesn't quite capture how strongly I feel about this. ****ing crop-burning farmers can all drop dead as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hlj said:

Today a market in town ( Chiang Mai ) was completely empty of locals buying foods. Yes the Thai's are scared of the virus.

Monday 7pm,  I drove by several of the large gathering restaurants along the SuperHighway... jam packed.  
The food court/market across from CMU, jam packed.

7 hours ago, cocopops said:

It was genuinely beautiful a few months ago. I do a fair bit of running and I was continually transfixed by how amazing the sky looked. And how even these old eyes could pick out the finer details of our feathered friends as they traversed the atmosphere off in the distance.

That's all over now though. Today the AQI sites are colored orange and the sky is looking all dusty. You can see the white smoke near the horizons. To say this is maddening doesn't quite capture how strongly I feel about this. ****ing crop-burning farmers can all drop dead as far as I'm concerned.

I agree (on all points)
It seems the "smoke season" extends each year.  Will this year be 6 months long from Dec-May?  Chiang Mai is nice Oct-Dec, otherwise better to be somewhere coastal in the south.